Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Golden Years of the X-Men from 1992 to 2019

Arnold Drake regenerated the original 5 X-Men in the late '60s, and his tenure was legendary.

Chris Claremont is still the best writer of the X-Men and his run is, to me, THE DEFINITIVE X-MEN RUN. Plain and simple.

Hickman is setting a big, big, big revolution for the X-Men comics. In the future, he could be remembered as the Alan Moore of the X-Men comic books, and his genius "retcon" will echo in the centuries to come.

MY QUESTION:

Beyond these three writers, beyond them, WHO did really create groundbreaking "runs" for the X-Men since the Nineties? We're talking about 25 years of comic books: 1992-2019.

Tell me, I want to know. I'm asking this because I stopped to read X-Men in 1993 or so. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mutant 77; 08-29-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Arnold Drake? Uh, okay.

Age of Apocalypse was around 1995 IIRC. That is still considered one of the greatest x-crossovers of all time.

Usually, Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men are regarded as the groundbreaking runs we had since Claremont. Both are great writers and introduced exciting concepts to the x-lore (bear in mind that Morrison's praise is somewhat controversial).

In my opinion, and I believe a good part of the fandom agrees, the best runs of the 2000s-2010s were outside the flagship title. We had awesome writers on Uncanny X-Men doing lukewarm jobs (Ed Brubaker, Matt Fraction, Jeff Lemire, Brian Bendis). Having said that, these runs are very popular with fans and critics if not groundbreaking:

- Rick Remender's X-Force (about a death squad led by Wolverine and Archangel)

- Peter David's second X-Factor (a long run with lots of good character moments. It's around an Investigation agency led by Jamie Madrox)

- Mike Carey's X-Men Legacy (he started with a team book led by Rogue that was pretty influential on Messiah Complex. And then had a stint focusing on Xavier)

- Cullen Bunn's solo on Magneto
    Last edited by ermac; 08-29-2019 at 05:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Usually, Grant Morrison's New X-Men and Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men are regarded as the groundbreaking runs we had since Claremont. Both are great writers and introduced exciting concepts to the x-lore (bear in mind that Morrison's praise is somewhat controversial).
    I will check some infos on both. Thank you.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Arnold Drake and not Roy Thomas who did most of the origin stories?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Arnold Drake and not Roy Thomas who did most of the origin stories?
    Thomas' run is wack, too. Lee/Kirby 4eva
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Carey's X-Men Legacy is probably the only post-90's X-Men I care about.

They weren't always executed perfectly, but Scott Lobdell added a ton to the X-Men mythos and I still enjoy his work along with Fabian Nicieza.

How come this Carey guy never came back?
    "Cable was right!"

I still don't think Hickman's a writer more than he's just become a director for the X-Line. After HoX and PoX most of the writing is done by other people and quite frankly I'm not sure the Dawn of X creative teams can hold up whatever he's done or has planned unless he micromanages. Because of that, I don't think I can consider him as the solo pioneer for like the others. Just me.

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Arnold Drake regenerated the original 5 X-Men in the late '60s, and his tenure was legendary.

Chris Claremont is still the best writer of the X-Men and his run is, to me, THE DEFINITIVE X-MEN RUN. Plain and simple.

Hickman is setting a big, big, big revolution for the X-Men comics. In the future, he could be remembered as the Alan Moore of the X-Men comic books, and his genius "retcon" will echo in the centuries to come.

MY QUESTION:

Beyond these three writers, beyond them, WHO did really create groundbreaking "runs" for the X-Men since the Nineties? We're talking about 25 years of comic books: 1992-2019.

Tell me, I want to know. I'm asking this because I stopped to read X-Men in 1993 or so. Thanks.
    Claremont actually had a second run - he took over adjectiveless X-Men in 2000, then when it became New X-Men a year later he launched a new series called X-Treme X-Men. When New ended and Astonishing launched, Claremont and his X-Treme team took over the Uncanny X-Men book for a few years (I'm certain that had Morrison not left New X-Men, then Claremont's 2004 UXM run would've just been more X-Treme X-Men, as the team, a mutant police force, was called the X-Treme Sanctions Executive).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Jack Kirby

Millar’s Ultimate X-Men, even though it is AU it was amazing. As others have mentioned Morrison and Whedon had great runs. Remender’s X-Force was the best 616 X-book I’ve ever read, and the Kyle/Yost X-Force is way up there too.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    How come this Carey guy never came back?
    Romy fans chased him off

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I still don't think Hickman's a writer more than he's just become a director for the X-Line. After HoX and PoX most of the writing is done by other people and quite frankly I'm not sure the Dawn of X creative teams can hold up whatever he's done or has planned unless he micromanages. Because of that, I don't think I can consider him as the solo pioneer for like the others. Just me.
    Hickman is doing the main title "X-Men" after HoX and PoX. He's co-writing New Mutants with Ed Brisson.

I'm assuming the Hickman books are the only ones that are going to really "matter" in terms of big scale direction for his narrative. I also assume he's only going to co-write the beginning of New Mutants and then drop off like he did with Avengers World. Or alternatively maybe Brisson will drop off and X-Men/New Mutants will eventually function like Avengers/New Avengers did.

But I'm guessing the ancillary books are just going to live in his world but not be extremely relevant to what he's doing, but that's all speculation

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Romy fans chased him off
    I don't know a character named Romy so I'm guessing this is Rogue and Gambit shippers.
    "Cable was right!"