Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't like Speed Force because it's this ill-defined thing that isn't really science and isn't really magic. It seems to exist mainly to explain how the speedsters can go beyond the speed of light.
    The concept, at least initially, of the Speed Force was less about explaining their powers as it was tying the speedsters together. Waid thought it was a bit ridiculous there was so many speedsters running around with different origins for their powers (aside from Wally/Barry), and he primarily created the Speed Force to link them together.

That's not to say writers haven't overdone it and used it as a crutch.

And that concept hasn't been used very much in today's comics. We don't see much of those characters anymore.
    Because Barry is the Flash. When Williamson asked editorial about the previous Flash-Family, he was told they were off the table because that was always more of a Wally thing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    READ TITANS!!!!!!

In the issue where they were teleported in this tunnel and Donna learned the truth about herself being made out of clay.

Here he was like: I am the king of atlantis and I am the founding member of JL....then Tempest interrupted him, saying that Nightwing leads the Titans and he only asked: And he is the king of.......

This was the most arrogant moment which I read EVER!!! in Comics...
    I'm not sure that's arrogant more than just...he knows who he is? He's gotta be tough, he's a leader of men.

Might be bad writing, but I also don't really see it as a bad character trait tbh.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I feel the same way about Grayson probably not what you meant but I could honestly live with the idea of him just becoming Nightwing and having minor connections with Batman other then occasional runins and teamups.

Edit: Maybe being inspired by Batman in an elsewhere story atleast to see how it works

I agree with the Jessica Cruz thing too. Having social anxiety myself I could relate to her locking herself.up for a year. I feel like its a tiring trope to have characters already have stromg heroic complexes before gaining power or finding out they have power. Thats not to relatable to me
    I'm on the same page as you, man. I have social anxiety too so Jessica Cruz is really relatable for me.

Retired

For Rend20, I was responding to this about the '90s FLASH run--

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    lots of concepts used till today were introduced at that time,
    --and, in brief, I was saying the concepts that are still around I never liked that much--and the concepts I did like aren't around.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Not really. Lobo eagerly wiped out his own race and has apparently made sure to wipe out any possible descendants of his. Crush, despite her parents being druggies, dearly loved them and has been shown to value other people. Lobo, really only values his word, dolphins, and his bike.
    I'm not really talking about their personalities but the mere fact that Crush is inspired by Lobo in terms of motif and design and is a subsequent creation to Lobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Nope. If anything, by and large its only the first generation of sidekicks I have a strong attachment to at all.
    Well, even the first generation of sidekicks is getting screwed currently.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

DOES ANYONE ELSE LIKE THE LEGACY CHARACTERS MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL ONES?

No, but I like most of them either as much or close enough to the originals.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Leaving Barry and Wally out of it, and just talking about the concepts introduced in the 1990s, there's not many I actually like.
    Which is your prerrogative, of course, but the simple fact that they're still around - and very much around - while DC tried so, so hard to bury the character under which they were introduced speaks for their success.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    READ TITANS!!!!!!

In the issue where they were teleported in this tunnel and Donna learned the truth about herself being made out of clay.

Here he was like: I am the king of atlantis and I am the founding member of JL....then Tempest interrupted him, saying that Nightwing leads the Titans and he only asked: And he is the king of.......

This was the most arrogant moment which I read EVER!!! in Comics...
    Find me a character from the big two who doesn't get beat with the mischaracterization stick now and then. Peculiar since this was Abnett who was also writing Arthur's book and had a good handle on the character, but to be fair, the main heroes always come across as kind of dickish when in Titans books. It's weird.

But yeah, Arthur spends half his time unsure he's good enough to be king and the other time waving a stump with a harpoon attached and demanding you take him seriously.

On topic, I prefer Dick to Bruce because while I love Bronze Age Batman, Bruce isn't really allowed to be Batman anymore. He's Batgod all the time. Dick gets to make mistakes, learn from them and generally be pretty cool. Throw a great attitude and cool costume on there and you got a winning formula.

Wally West is the greatest Flash, followed closely by Jay.

I prefer Guy, Jessica and Alan to the other Lanterns, but I don't care for Simon. He's just been dreadfully boring I'm afraid.

Jaime Reyes has tons of untapped story potential.

Does Power Girl count as one to Supergirl? If so, she's a much more interesting character.

Zatanna smokes her dad, and I like Giovanni!

Jack Knight was the coolest Starman, and I like Courtney as much as him.

Michael Holt is awesome and the best thing Terry Sloane, the man of 1000 talents, ever did was have Holt as his successor.

I prefer Pieter Cross as Doctor Mid-Nite.

Cass and Steph were more interesting Batgirls than the two before them, though Barbara has the best relationship with Bruce, Dick and Gordon for storytelling.

I like Tim as much as Dick with respect to Robin, but I like them best when the latter is Nightwing so Tim should be Robin.

Jon is the best Superboy. Or he was. Word's still out on New Jon.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-01-2019 at 08:39 PM.

I don't have any specific preferences for originals or legacies in comics; just which characters I find interesting. In the case of DC, Green Lantern Jessica Cruz is my favorite DC character and the only one I read. Make of that what you will.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I find it funny, when you talked about legacy characters, I immediatly thought you talked of Barry, Hal, Ray, Ted Kord rather than Wally, Kyle,Ryan or Jaime. xD

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    I find it funny, when you talked about legacy characters, I immediatly thought you talked of Barry, Hal, Ray, Ted Kord rather than Wally, Kyle,Ryan or Jaime. xD
    The first group weren't created as legacies (with the exception of Ted), though, while the others were.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Nope. While I like prefer characters like Jason Todd and Barry Allen, they wouldn't have existed without the originals (I don't consider Hal to be a legacy character since GL isn't a mantle to be passed down).

Legacy characters have become more of annoyance than they worth lately especially with DC having several generations.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The first group weren't created as legacies (with the exception of Ted), though, while the others were.
    I have a different take on what a legacy character is, that's why. ^^ To answer to the op, I love legacy characters having sane relationship with their elders and fighting crime together. I'm not annoyed that heroes who have been around for 90 years are growing a bit older and have more people in their lives. ^^