Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mighty Member

Default Does anyone else like the legacy characters more than the original ones?

Hello,

I personally have to say that I like the Legacy characters more than the Big Ones.

Batman-Nightwing
    I like Nightwing more (COMICS not the DC Animated Version who lost against Starfire etc.)
    I like his costume,his attitude,his fighting skills...more than Batman.

Aquaman-Tempest
    Never read much of them, BUT I liked Tempest in DC Rebirth Titans.
    He has cool powers and doesnt wear this ridiculous old Costumes anymore.
    Cool look and amazing cool powers.
    I hate Aquaman for his arrogance and his "I am the King".....

Superman-Conner
    I always thougt that Conner is the more interesting character.
    Cool origin (half Kryptonian-half Lex Luthor)...you can develop him in MANY directions.
    He is also a cool,refreshing take on Superman, who wears this costume which feels a bit outdated with the cape etc.
    I like the leather jacket and I like also Conners attitude (from the old comics) more.
    The combination of Kryptonian Powers+TTK was awesome and a cool new take on the classic Superman.

Wonder Woman-Donna
    I like Donna more, she is friendly, calm etc. while Diana is more impulsive,aggressive..

Barry-Wally-Bart
    Here I also like Wally and Bart much more than Barry.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

It depends on, I like Nightwing more than batman, But for Supes and Hal, I do much more prefer them over the legacy ones. I like Barry and Wally both.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Not the much the Legacies than some tangential heroes, if I make sense : Cassandra Cain (Orphan), Duke Thomas (Signal), Damian Wayne (Robin) and Jason Todd (Red Hood) are my favorite Bat-affiliated characters, for instance, and only one of them is truly a legacy.

I also have a fond spot for brand new characters (The Silencer, Naomi, the Immortal Men, the Unexpected, Damage, Sideways, Brimstone, Crush, Djinn, Roundhouse even); so I'm more of an iconoclast, I guess.

Incredible Member

I always thought that DC's edge over Marvel was its legacy heroes. To me, DC was the company where legacy heroes would eventually surpass the original ones. With DC going back to its Silver Age roots since 2004, I lost interest.

Bats - I like Nightwing better than Batman. I like almost every Bat better than modern Batman. But I have particular eras I like certain characters in (80s & 90s Nightwing, 90s Robin and Spoiler, post-mellowed Damian, etc.), and don't much care for them in other eras. Nightwing is the favorite though, in that I like most eras up until the early 2000s.

Flashes - I like Barry and Bart better than Wally, so I'm not sure how that counts. Never read much Jay.

Supers - I like original TTK human Kon, not the latter part-Kryptonian, part-Luthor version. I'm fond of Superman in only certain bronze-age-or-later stories where Clark isn't a joke if we're not talking team-Superman. I like kid Jon and grown Chris. And some rebirth Kara. But I can't say I really have favorites in the family.

Arrows - I like bronze-age Ollie and daddy!Roy, but pre-dad Roy and later jerk!Ollie do nothing for me. Haven't read enough Mia and Connor to make informed comments on, though I did like them both (especially Mia) in what I read. Emiko, I have also read little of, and she was just there in what I read - no real opinion.

Beetles - I like Jaime better than Ted. Specifically, I like preboot Jaime. Early Ted was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Jaime, and I definitely didn't like the moron turn in JLI, etc.

Aquas and Wonders - Just depends on who is writing them - no clear cut faves.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-29-2019 at 06:35 AM.

DC has always had better legacy characters since they used to treat them better than Marvel. That said, while I like the legacy characters, I still prefer the original heroes more when it comes to DC.

For Marvel though I hate legacy characters in general. None of them work for me and I hate seeing them, lol!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    I always thought that DC's edge over Marvel was its legacy heroes. To me, DC was the company where legacy heroes would eventually surpass the original ones. With DC going back to its Silver Age roots since 2004, I lost interest.
    Yes, yes, yes! I liked Wally West more than Barry Allen, I liked Kyle Rainer more than Hal Jordan. Geoff Johns coming in and relegating the legacy characters into the background was a huge mistake.

I will go another step further and say I thought Grant Morrison having two Batmen was a tremendous idea, with Dick being Gotham's Batman, Bruce the globe trotting head of Batman Inc. Then Nu 52 ruined that.

Now, Marvel sort of did have legacy characters but they did not seem to have any faith in them. The New Mutants and Generation X were supposed to be the next generation of heroes, weren't they? And what's become of most of them? Cyclops, Storm etc. are still in the forefront. Monica Rambeau should have stayed Captain Marvel but they pushed her aside for a son no one asked for, one that had very little in the way of personality. Now we got Carol Danvers, and...

Well it's the DC side, and I'm digressing. Point is, I agree with you in that there was a huge creative mis-step and Johns should never have been allowed to do it.

I'll always be more attached to the Fab5 as legacies > their JLA mentors, because they were my gateway characters when I started reading.
    They were closer to my age ( a bit older than me at the beginning, then gradually same age or younger). To me, they were more relatable than their older counterparts.

As far as other legacy scenarios, I like the JSA legacies equally to their Golden Age counterparts. I honestly couldn't pick one generation over the next.

GL Corps I don't see as legacy, they are all equal members together.

I have always been attached to all the Super-family probably because they read to me as a family. Each has their own place in the family, so I don't see them as competing for position. Probably part of the reason I didn't like the aging of Jon is because it makes himself and Conner a little redundant. Although Jon will always be the son and Conner more the "younger brother" to Kal. Maybe the top-secret new codename for Conner will be Super-bro. (Kidding!)

There are literally such an army of Bat legacies it's hard not have a few favorites. I will say that while I enjoy reading stories about Bruce I always lean toward the legacies because having them around makes him more human. Bruce on his own is a textbook psych case, but Dick/Tim/Damien/Barbara et al are the gateway to seeing his softer side.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianS View Post
    Ditto. DC's strength in the '80s seemed to be the 'sidekicks growing up' era showcased by the Wolfman/Perez Teen Titans, and they were utterly kicking ass in that arena over Marvel. Dick transitioned from Robin to Nightwind, Garth from Aqualad to Tempest, Wally West became the actual Flash, etc.

Marvel just couldn't even compete in that arena, having few, if any, sidekicks or younger heroes to 'grow up' in that manner.

And then DC just kind of surrendered, when they were, IMO, winning.

As for preferring legacies to originals, it depends on the specific character, but generally, yes. (Although it's always funny to me to hear Hal Jordan (1959) or Barry Allen (1956) referred to as 'the originals,' as if Alan Scott (1940) and Jay Garrick (1940) never existed.) I prefer not only Nightwing to Batman, but also Cassandra Cain, Tim Drake and Jason Hood to Batman. (But prefer Batman, Bat-Mite, Ace the Bathound and the Batmobile's left rear wheel to Damien, so I don't universally prefer younger legacy characters!)

Extraordinary Member

For me it's a mixed bag. I like Wally more than Barry (even though I like Barry), but I like Hal and Kyle more than the other Lanterns (though I still like the other Lanterns). I love Batman and Nightwing equally, but I'm not that fond of Damian if only because of overexposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Not the much the Legacies than some tangential heroes, if I make sense : Cassandra Cain (Orphan), Duke Thomas (Signal), Damian Wayne (Robin) and Jason Todd (Red Hood) are my favorite Bat-affiliated characters, for instance, and only one of them is truly a legacy.
    Going off what I believe is your definition, all except one of those would be deemed legacy characters. Damian and Jason were/are both Robins and Cassandra was famously Batgirl. In fact, if I'm remembering correctly, Cass was the one to headline the first ever Batgirl solo series. Maybe someone else can fact-check that, but I think I'm correct?

And honestly, if you like Cass, you should probably pick up some of that series since I think the general consensus is that that series featured a better-written Cass than current comics. But, really, aren't all of them legacy characters simply because of the fact that all of them have been mentored by Batman?

I also have a fond spot for brand new characters (The Silencer, Naomi, the Immortal Men, the Unexpected, Damage, Sideways, Brimstone, Crush, Djinn, Roundhouse even); so I'm more of an iconoclast, I guess.
    Wouldn't Crush also be a legacy since she's essentially a miniature version of Lobo?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-29-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    Wouldn't Crush also be a legacy since she's essentially a miniature version of Lobo?
    Not really. Lobo eagerly wiped out his own race and has apparently made sure to wipe out any possible descendants of his. Crush, despite her parents being druggies, dearly loved them and has been shown to value other people. Lobo, really only values his word, dolphins, and his bike.

Think Orion and Darkseid, or Damian and R'as.

Anyway; kind of already at the point where I prefer Legacies over the originals. Jason Todd has become my favorite character (Lobo is second, simply for his wacky adventures). The relationships between the legacies I find more endearing than most of the original characters, as well as far more personable (though with a dad like modern Batman, that's not hard to do, admittedly).

The Robins and Batgirls, I pretty much like all of them. Connor Kent I like in Young Justice, while Jon Kent was a great addition to the Super Family (as a kid). Dick Grayson was honestly a better overall father figure to Damian. Wally, well, I grew up with the DCAU in the 1990s/early 2000s. So Wally was the Flash for me.

Astonishing Member

As a kid, I definitley preferred the Titans over their adult counterparts. I think as an adult, I still have that preference, but I tend to like second tier characters better than top tier. I wish that Donna Troy was used more in Wonder Woman. That book needs all the help it can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Does anyone else like the legacy characters more than the original ones?

Barry-Wally-Bart
    Here I also like Wally and Bart much more than Barry.
    Even if it's obvious, for context (that you established) you should emphasize Jay-Barry-Wally-Bart
    Barry was not the original, he was the definitive legacy character, sh!t he somewhat started it.
    His whole story started with him reading the original.

Fine you like the later but recognize Barry was a legacy not the original
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-29-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Even if it's obvious, for context (that you established) you should emphasize Jay-Barry-Wally-Bart
    Barry was not the original, he was the definitive legacy character, sh!t he somewhat started it.
    His whole story started with him reading the original.

Fine you like the later but recognize Barry was a legacy not the original
    There is an argument that The Golden Age Characters aren't part of the legacy line. They were cancelled, the names rebooted, and thus weren't part of the string of events that defined DC's legacy characters until shoehorned in after Crisis. Even in Post-Crisis continuity, the mentoring factor that defined such legacies as Nightwing wasn't present across the GA/SA divide. By that logic, Jaime is not a Blue Beetle legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello,

I personally have to say that I like the Legacy characters more than the Big Ones.
    There are some modern heroes I like better than their golden age counterparts.

I Like Pieter Cross (Dr. Mid-nite) better than Charles McNider.
    I like Michael Holt (Mr. Terrific) better than Terry Sloane.

This is because, unlike golden age characters like Flash, Wildcat and Green Lantern, these particular golden age characters never became fleshed out characters. Flash (Barry) and Flash (Jay) are equivalent in my mind as are Green Lantern (Hal) and Green Lantern (Alan). Other Flashes and Lanterns are mere distractions.

Sandy
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.