Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Does anyone else like the legacy characters more than the original ones?

Hello,

I personally have to say that I like the Legacy characters more than the Big Ones.

Batman-Nightwing
    I like Nightwing more (COMICS not the DC Animated Version who lost against Starfire etc.)
    I like his costume,his attitude,his fighting skills...more than Batman.

Aquaman-Tempest
    Never read much of them, BUT I liked Tempest in DC Rebirth Titans.
    He has cool powers and doesnt wear this ridiculous old Costumes anymore.
    Cool look and amazing cool powers.
    I hate Aquaman for his arrogance and his "I am the King".....

Superman-Conner
    I always thougt that Conner is the more interesting character.
    Cool origin (half Kryptonian-half Lex Luthor)...you can develop him in MANY directions.
    He is also a cool,refreshing take on Superman, who wears this costume which feels a bit outdated with the cape etc.
    I like the leather jacket and I like also Conners attitude (from the old comics) more.
    The combination of Kryptonian Powers+TTK was awesome and a cool new take on the classic Superman.

Wonder Woman-Donna
    I like Donna more, she is friendly, calm etc. while Diana is more impulsive,aggressive..

Barry-Wally-Bart
    Here I also like Wally and Bart much more than Barry.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

It depends on, I like Nightwing more than batman, But for Supes and Hal, I do much more prefer them over the legacy ones. I like Barry and Wally both.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Not the much the Legacies than some tangential heroes, if I make sense : Cassandra Cain (Orphan), Duke Thomas (Signal), Damian Wayne (Robin) and Jason Todd (Red Hood) are my favorite Bat-affiliated characters, for instance, and only one of them is truly a legacy.

I also have a fond spot for brand new characters (The Silencer, Naomi, the Immortal Men, the Unexpected, Damage, Sideways, Brimstone, Crush, Djinn, Roundhouse even); so I'm more of an iconoclast, I guess.

Incredible Member

I always thought that DC's edge over Marvel was its legacy heroes. To me, DC was the company where legacy heroes would eventually surpass the original ones. With DC going back to its Silver Age roots since 2004, I lost interest.

Bats - I like Nightwing better than Batman. I like almost every Bat better than modern Batman. But I have particular eras I like certain characters in (80s & 90s Nightwing, 90s Robin and Spoiler, post-mellowed Damian, etc.), and don't much care for them in other eras. Nightwing is the favorite though, in that I like most eras up until the early 2000s.

Flashes - I like Barry and Bart better than Wally, so I'm not sure how that counts. Never read much Jay.

Supers - I like original TTK human Kon, not the latter part-Kryptonian, part-Luthor version. I'm fond of Superman in only certain bronze-age-or-later stories where Clark isn't a joke if we're not talking team-Superman. I like kid Jon and grown Chris. And some rebirth Kara. But I can't say I really have favorites in the family.

Arrows - I like bronze-age Ollie and daddy!Roy, but pre-dad Roy and later jerk!Ollie do nothing for me. Haven't read enough Mia and Connor to make informed comments on, though I did like them both (especially Mia) in what I read. Emiko, I have also read little of, and she was just there in what I read - no real opinion.

Beetles - I like Jaime better than Ted. Specifically, I like preboot Jaime. Early Ted was pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Jaime, and I definitely didn't like the moron turn in JLI, etc.

Aquas and Wonders - Just depends on who is writing them - no clear cut faves.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-29-2019 at 06:35 AM.

DC has always had better legacy characters since they used to treat them better than Marvel. That said, while I like the legacy characters, I still prefer the original heroes more when it comes to DC.

For Marvel though I hate legacy characters in general. None of them work for me and I hate seeing them, lol!

I like Dick Grayson more than Bruce and I like Damian more as Robin than RobinDick.

I like Jamie more than any other BB

I like Kaldur and Jackson more than Arthur.
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-29-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like Wally as much, if not sometimes more, than Barry. And Dick as Nightwing is as good as Bruce at his best.

That's pretty much it though.

Because of when I started reading comics, Wally West was always my favorite Flash. And I really liked Bart as Impulse.

In the same time period, I really liked the Bat-books of the 90s. Nightwing was great in his own solo series and guest appearances elsewhere, but I never really thought of him as Robin. Tim Drake was great as Robin, so he's my favorite in that role. While I really liked Batman's solo books, that had more to do with the villains and stories being told than the Bat himself, so I would say I like Dick and Tim more than Bruce.

And I've never been a huge fan of the Super-family, other than Matrix Supergirl in Peter David's 90's run of her solo series.
    Just re-reading my old collection, filling in the occasional gap with back issues, not buying anything new.

Currently working my way through 1990's Flash, Impulse, and JLA, and occasional other related stuff.

Astonishing Member

As a kid, I definitley preferred the Titans over their adult counterparts. I think as an adult, I still have that preference, but I tend to like second tier characters better than top tier. I wish that Donna Troy was used more in Wonder Woman. That book needs all the help it can get.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I like wally, dick and titans as whole more than the silverage mainstays. I also like terry more than bruce as batman.

Usually I prefer legacy characters or even just newer characters to the "originals" or silver age versions. Mostly because of the writing. Usually DC lets the writers have more room to work when it comes to these characters. More freedom and it translates to better characterization and storytelling. Not always but most of the time in my opinion.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick to Bruce and Wally to Barry, then if you can count them, Babs to Bethy and Kate to original Kathy, but I'm more interested in Morrison Kathy than Kate

I haven't really read them but I'm more interested in Kyle than Hal and Hal than Alan.

Oh, I haven't read anything at all about Connor Hawke but I'm already more interested in him than Ollie, simply by the character design. Like... there's a story behind a character that looks like the creator isn't sure if they want to create a white man or black man.

I think that's it... I'm still more interested in Diana than Donna, Arthur than Garth, and Ollie than Roy, but that's because I haven't read that much about them and New 52 Roy is particularly annoying. Once I actually read them... the real them... who knows...

I would say I'm more in-line with what Korath said, a lot my favorites aren't exactly legacy characters so much as tangential heroes or newer original character. if I had to pick from the most popular legacies:

Green Lanterns - besides maybe Kyle Rayner, in a certain context, I don't consider the Lanterns to be "legacies" but I do prefer John Stewart and the JessicaSimon duo over characters like Alan Scott or Hal Jordan if that's the bar for legacies.

Batman - I like characters like Duke Thomas, (Signal), David Zavimbe (Batwing I), Cassandra Cain (Orphan/Black Bat/Batgirl) and Jason Todd (Red Hood) more than Batman. i guess Jason's could considered a legacy character, so that's one.

The Flash - (almost) everyone prefers the legacy Flashes, it's either Barry or Wally most time, so that's an easy one for the legacies. I personally prefer Barry.

Superman - I don't care all that much about any Superman character. Young Jon Kent was a neat idea but I don't particularly prefer any Super character over the other, so I'll say Superman by default.

Wonder Woman - I haven't ever been all that invested in Wonder Woman's legacy characters besides Artemis and I would say I like her about as much as I like Wonder Woman, depends on which story Wonder Woman is in. so it's a toss up.

Green Arrow - this one is the same as Supes, so Green Arrow by default.

Aquaman - I like Aquaman more than Garth or Kaldur'ahm but that's only because my favorite version of Kaldur'ahm is the YJ version. if they were able to translate that character into the comics a case could be made for him being on the level of Aquaman for me. Aquaman's stuff since Rebirth (and even a good amount of New 52) has been consistently great, it shot him up way high as one of my favorite heroes. so it's Aquaman* but with an asterisk.

Blue Beetle - I prefer Jaime Reyes as Blue Beetle over Ted Kord. I enjoy Jaime a lot but I am completely indifferent toward Ted Kord. so another one for the legacy.

I'm 50/50, I'd say I lean more toward legacy in a sense because I have more an affinity for the newer characters or characters that have recently had renewed interest in them.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Mighty Member

In my case its also mostly because of the attitude of WW,Aquaman,Batman...I mean this royalty thing by Aquaman his arrogance, the arrogance of WW and this new writing of Batman really goes on my nerves.

Donna is just more friendly etc. She is for sure the nicer person to have around.

Barry is also horrible in the DC Animated Movies...In the TV Series he is humble etc. but in the DC Animated Movies he is to arrogant for me, especially for someone who created Flashpoint.

For Superman I just find Conner cooler and the more updated Version while Clark feels for me like being outdated.

For Aquaman I like Tempest Outfit,Powers,Personality more..