Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the biggest issue is figuring out how all these characters fit into media adaptions.
    It's the "have their cake and eat it too" issue of Marvel wanting to constantly make Peter a teenager again in new adaptations while simultaneously also including the other Spiders.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    It's the "have their cake and eat it too" issue of Marvel wanting to constantly make Peter a teenager again in new adaptations while simultaneously also including the other Spiders.
    Yeah they've got to stop doing that eventually. It hasn't even really been the most successful strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Yeah they've got to stop doing that eventually. It hasn't even really been the most successful strategy.
    What makes it frustrating is 17 year old Miles is just sitting there.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    What makes it frustrating is 17 year old Miles is just sitting there.
    Exactly! And that has been successful, at least in multimedia.

I would just like to see Tom Taylor's FNSM continue. I have enjoyed it much more than ASM for the past several months. I think ASM as a main title and one secondary book like FNSM that tells smaller, more self-contained Spidey stories is ideal. ASM and Spectacular coexisted that way for many years, and Spectacular was often better than Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    I would just like to see Tom Taylor's FNSM continue. I have enjoyed it much more than ASM for the past several months. I think ASM as a main title and one secondary book like FNSM that tells smaller, more self-contained Spidey stories is ideal. ASM and Spectacular coexisted that way for many years, and Spectacular was often better than Amazing.
    Preach! "Spectacular" almost never gets any love from Marvel or the fans but has had tons of great and important runs like DeMatteis (it's criminal we don't have an Omnibus of his run), Zdarsky, Jenkins, Conway, Mantlo...you name it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I mean, I definitely think that's part of it. Having Marvel's Spider-Man feature a "Year One" Spider-Man but also feature several other Spider-Heroes just kind of strained credulity in my mind.

Especially when they did Spider-Island where everyone got spider powers and it felt like Peter was becoming more and more redundant the longer that storyline went on.

But even if you have an adult Peter there's still the issue of how these characters fit into his narrative. Like, what role does Ghost Spider serve in Peter's story? They're only now starting to build a relationship and rapport between Gwen and adult Peter, but otherwise what does she do in Peter stories? Should she be treated as a Batgirl equivalent?

And then there's the issue with Miles. Into the Spider-Verse basically showcased that Miles' narrative is about succeeding Peter Parker after his death and becoming his own thing...but where does that leave you if Peter is the main character? That's probably why Insomniac re-worked his character as much as they did in the PS4 game even if now I think people would probably be more disappointed with that take vs. ItSV.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think the closest equivalent is the Millar Marvel Knights run.
    Yeah. Millar's run was close to the Long Halloween/ Hush model of pitting the hero against his greatest enemies for 12-13 issues, although it was also meant to be part of an ongoing title with the next creative team doing their own thing for twelve issues (It didn't last; Reginald Hudlin was the next writer and he had a six issue arc before switching artists and getting involved in "The Other" crossover.)

It's a model with a lot of benefits (Marvel gets an accessible TPB at the end; Writers know how long their run will be in the beginning) although I wonder if it's better to just have mini-series than an ongoing with new creative teams.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post

It's a model with a lot of benefits (Marvel gets an accessible TPB at the end; Writers know how long their run will be in the beginning) although I wonder if it's better to just have mini-series than an ongoing with new creative teams.
    I wonder if they couldn't have their cake and eat it to by using the legacy numbering concept. Basically, sub-number every 12-issue mini (number 1-12) as part of whatever comic (e.g. SSM 314-325, then 326-337, etc.) while keeping their TPB titles untethered (e.g. The Spectacular Spider-man: Marvel Knight, then Spectacular Spider-man: Kraven's Third to Last Hunt, etc.). It'd provide a method for one to easily understand the "order" of the minis if you're a continuity/collecting nut, but makes every one seem accessible to casual readers.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob/.schoonover View Post
    I wonder if they couldn't have their cake and eat it to by using the legacy numbering concept. Basically, sub-number every 12-issue mini (number 1-12) as part of whatever comic (e.g. SSM 314-325, then 326-337, etc.) while keeping their TPB titles untethered (e.g. The Spectacular Spider-man: Marvel Knight, then Spectacular Spider-man: Kraven's Third to Last Hunt, etc.). It'd provide a method for one to easily understand the "order" of the minis if you're a continuity/collecting nut, but makes every one seem accessible to casual readers.
    That might work. One question is whether the titles would be too convoluted, although it could be shorter than Batman: Last Knight on Earth, which is selling well.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets