Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Tie between pre flashpoint Kara and DCAU Kara.

Extraordinary Member

Linda/PAD's version by a mile. My favorite character in the superverse with a great set of supporting characters. Matrix was fine for the early 90s, if convoluted, but PAD's version was far superior.

I can appreciate pre-crises Kara in the context of her era, but I despise all versions of Kara post-crisis, with the exception of the DCAU version.

Incredible Member

Superman the animated series.

Pre-Crisis Kara.

I also like the post-Crisis Kara when written by Sterling Gates.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Whenever Jimmy Olsen rubs his totem, another Supergirl is created.
    Best post in the thread.

Anyway, I've never been too taken with the idea of "Superman's cousin from Krypton" and the first Supergirl I was exposed to was the post-Crisis, triangle era version, quickly moving into the earth-angle stuff. So it's probably not surprising that I loved PAD's run and haven't followed any other Supergirl series for as long as I did that one (though Supergirl hasn't exactly had a ton of quality creators stick with her book either).

But I've read and enjoyed several eras and versions of Kara. I thought the Loeb stuff was decent, Gates was fantastic. There were parts of the New52 stuff I found pretty interesting, and her book ended on a high note there with the "Hogwarts in space" school. What I've read of the late pre-Crisis era was pretty solid, though I haven't read much at all from the Silver Age.

I suppose that because I'm not really invested in the concept of her, that makes it easier for me to find things to enjoy about most versions of her.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

I've always loved and wanted DC to use Cir-El more. I love when I've heard other say they wanted her to be the Rachel Grey of the DCU essentially. She probably is my favorite simply because she's so directly connected to Superman and I've always loved her design.

But I pretty much love them all Totem, Kara's, Linda's or Matrix herself.

Though I've never been a fan of foisting the magic stuff to Matrix when that was really Linda's deal and Matrix was just kind of along for the ride and used as a dumping ground for that stuff with PAD.

PAD: And now Linda loses her magical powers!
    DC readers: What, really?
    PAD: Yeah it's...GIVEN TO MATRIX, OF COURSE.
    DC readers: Whuh.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Superman the animated series.
    Another great incarnation of Kara. She is my second favorite version of the character overall.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    I've always loved and wanted DC to use Cir-El more....
    Agreed, I wish they would bring her back.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Cir-El is neat because from an in-universe perspective it makes sense to have her AND actual Kryptonians using the name Supergirl.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Honestly? TV show Kara.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Retired

Isn't Cir-El a boy's name?

My favorite is the Timm-Universe cartoon version. Updated the classic version, no morphing alien-dying-human situation.

How do you guys feel about her being on Krypton vs Argo City? What about Kara being older than Kal chronologically?

Spectacular Member

Has anybody mentioned Superman Animated Series/Superman Adventures version of Supergirl? That's my pick.
    Last edited by ArthurCurry; 09-04-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Edit- I see the person above me has the same vote!

Swinging between pre-COIE and Linda Danvers/Matrix. Did not read enough material on the former to decide.

And yeah, also sad that Danvers/Matrix simply disappeared after their run. Matrix still ...dang I totally forgot. Guarding the gates of heaven/hell after being separated? Linda kind of broken after the Spectre took her and SA Supes child.

I know the author kind of continued the Linda arc with changed names outside of DC, but that is not really the same.