Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    How do you guys feel about her being on Krypton vs Argo City? What about Kara being older than Kal chronologically?
    Her being chronologically older has always been amusing to me and is one of those sci-fi tropes I love. I prefer she gets rocketed off from Krypton so that her last memory of her family is them dying in the explosion. It adds to the tragedy and why even with how weird the situation with Kal is, she still wants to have a connection with the last of her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Isn't Cir-El a boy's name?
    The tradition of giving girls their father's name only applied when he was living. Then again, they never explained exactly where that name came from. It may have been given to her by whoever created her. that person may not have known, or maybe.... it's meant to mark her as an orphan.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    The tradition of giving girls their father's name only applied when he was living. Then again, they never explained exactly where that name came from. It may have been given to her by whoever created her. that person may not have known, or maybe.... it's meant to mark her as an orphan.
    The father's name is the family name, more or less. But usually the given name for females ends in an -a. So it would more likely be Cira--and therefore the full name ought to be Cira Kal-El. But I don't know what sound C would represent. We already have Kryptonian names with S and with K--so maybe the C is supposed to represent a Ch sound, like in Italian. From what I read online this was supposed to be a fake-out so Lois and Clark would believe she was their daughter--then why have a name that doesn't follow convention? Doesn't that call attention to the lie?

When did that particular naming convention start IRL? I seem to recall some Silver Age female kryptonians with hyphenated names.

Retired

I believe it was E. Nelson Bridwell's idea--probably in the 1970s (or maybe earlier) when he developed that naming convention. Bridwell was the one who wrangled the continuity--ignoring things that didn't fit and using what worked--to create a solid foundation of Kryptonian lore. He was DC's walking encyclopedia.

I believe it was E. Nelson Bridwell's idea--probably in the 1970s (or maybe earlier) when he developed that naming convention. Bridwell was the one who wrangled the continuity--ignoring things that didn't fit and using what worked--to create a solid foundation of Kryptonian lore. He was DC's walking encyclopedia.
    Makes sense, the Weisinger years are almost charming in how they contradicted each other. And I'm pretty sure some characters got retconned to fit in the naming convention, like Lyla Lerrol's father being Ler-Rol.

The father's name is the family name, more or less. But usually the given name for females ends in an -a. So it would more likely be Cira--and therefore the full name ought to be Cira Kal-El. But I don't know what sound C would represent. We already have Kryptonian names with S and with K--so maybe the C is supposed to represent a Ch sound, like in Italian. From what I read online this was supposed to be a fake-out so Lois and Clark would believe she was their daughter--then why have a name that doesn't follow convention? Doesn't that call attention to the lie?
    Interestingly one of the other female Kryptonians is named "Car-Vex" which, like Cir-El, doesn't match the usual pattern, such as "Kara Zor-El". Not sure if this is intentional or not. Thing is, we know Car-Vex was named that while she was a child on Krypton. So, either she was given a boy's name as a child, or it's the orphan thing. Also some universes are different apparently. The Krypton series seems to NOT use the "Kara Zor-El" style naming at all. And Earth-2 seemingly used single letters as surnames for everyone, Eyra-L, etc...

Hmmm female personal names that don't end in a vowel though... *looks on wiki* Alia, Alura, Asha, Astra, Eyra, Faora, Fedra, Jayna, Kara, Karsta, Lara, Lesla, Lyla, Lyta, Mala, Marya, Milia, Nadira, Nara, Nyra, Nyssa, Raya, Shyla, Syra, Thara, Ursa, Vara, Wedna, Zaora, Zara

Aethyr was a Kryptonian woman in the Smallville TV show. Charys-El is a female Kryptonian in the Krypton series. One of the 1950s-era comics had a "Mala" that was male. Pa-Vel is a male in 2013. Xa-Du was also male. Va-Kox also male. Tala-El also a guy, Taka-Ne, Ta-Tem etc... Erndine Ze-Da female Kryptonian in the 1960s Superboy. Jan-Al (character in the 2017 Green Lantern)(Jan-De however was a male Kryptonian in 1980, and Jan-L in 1988) Jani is a female in 1973. Lili Van-Zee(1985), Lilo(2007), Psi in the 2016 Supergirl, Vond-Ah in Superman(Donnerverse), Tes Ak-Var (2009), "Lancepesade" Shor(2009) No clue about this name. It might be an alias she used while pretending to be human. Ro-Zar(Man of Steel movie)

Loana-El is another interesting one. It's a woman married to Superman in a Black Mercy spawned illusion. Black Mercy plants don't inherently know anything about Krypton or Kryptonian culture, so all the images of Krypton were based on Superman's memories.

Divine was cloned by Max Lord and probably not given a Kryptonian name at all. Laura Kent was a daughter of Superman born on Earth. Lisa Kent... same thing. Purity and Reign are presumably an English translation of Kryptonian names in Arrow. Ruby Arias is Reign/Samantha Arias's daughter.

So yeah, female names ending in a are common but not the only way Kryptonians do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Matrix Supergirl, written by PAD. Great character/book.
    I have to agree.

But I do feel Supergirl dying in Crisis gave way to some truly interesting interps. I also enjoyed Peege Post Crisis.

I am also grateful for the TV show she has now

Retired

E. Nelson Bridwell tried to build a consistent Kryptonese lexocography [see below]. It's too bad other writers haven't bothered to develop on what he started. Other fantasy properties have their own sophisticated conlangs (Lord of the Rings, A Song of Fire and Ice, Harry Potter, Star Trek). I could come up with in-story reasons for why certain Kryptonian characters broke with tradition--but the real reason is that the writers just don't care enough to stick with a consistent lexicography and would rather wing it.

--from KRYPTON CHRONICLES 1 - 3 (1981). [Note that Cir-El does make sense, according to Bridwell's rule, if she was an orphan--but I still think the spelling makes it's a whacky name for a Kryptonian woman.]

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Hello
    would like to know which Supergirl do you prefer?

I LOVED the Pre-Flashpoint Kara, who trained with the Amazons, created her own outfits and was Cassies best friend.
    Never read much of the Rebirth Supergirl, but I think the Pre-Flashpoint Kara was perfect with her Cat..
    It's a tie between pre-New 52 Supergirl who eventually made it into the Justice League and Legion and Matrix Supergirl.

Man, I had no idea what was going on with Matrix Supergirl when I first picked it up. It had angels and demons in it. WTH?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Pre-COIE Kara is my favorite version of the character . Her demise was one of the best DC deaths of all time. It made me cry for real when I first read the issue.
    She is my favorite too.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It's a tie between pre-New 52 Supergirl who eventually made it into the Justice League and Legion and Matrix Supergirl.

Man, I had no idea what was going on with Matrix Supergirl when I first picked it up. It had angels and demons in it. WTH?
    Because it's the biggest example of the "we want legacy characters, but they can't be the same as the original". Superman had to be the ONLY Kryptonian, but they wanted to have a Supergirl character.

Matrix pre angel bond.

In a modern story i wish we could get matrix back even if she could never again be supergirl...take some martian some kryptonian and some human DNA throw it in a blender/cloner. Maybe mix in superboys tactiletelekentics as a reason for the strength...
    In the real world i would be BOTH pro registration and Pro mutant rights. Xavier and Trask were both right.

I like that Matrix's powers were so good!! Her brand of invisibility could thwart even Superman and Jonn's senses.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartofTheStoriesWeTell View Post
    Matrix pre angel bond.

In a modern story i wish we could get matrix back even if she could never again be supergirl...take some martian some kryptonian and some human DNA throw it in a blender/cloner. Maybe mix in superboys tactiletelekentics as a reason for the strength...
    Not to tout my own ideas (okay that's exactly what I'm doing but hey, it may suck), but I've always thought it'd be cool to bring Matrix back into continuity and have her take the guise a raven-haired teen and pass her off as Conner's twin sister.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El