Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default Should Carol Danvers be all that powerful?

Well, yeah, this guy is a bit whiny but he knows his comics and i agree with him on Thanos and how Danvers shouldn't be strong enough to force him to use the gems (i'm still calling them Infinity GEMS you can't stop me) to get rid of her. Too many people think Thanos is ineffectual without the help of mystical macguffins.

Ironically Carol is the one character who is buffed in the movies compared to every other character who is less powerful than their comic version. In the comics I'd say she's slightly above Iron Man's level but gets easily knocked out by Hulk, Thor, and Thanos (and pretty much any herald of Galactus) but in the movies she's way stronger than those guys. No idea why they chose to make her so strong.

Eh, i dunno I can see the point of the complaints. Having a single character just outclass everyone by a wide margin can be very annoying, especially a character that was introduced literally right before the final movie of a huge saga. And it doesn't help that she's barely in Endgame at all so it seems like the Russo Bros. knew that her being as strong as she is was a problem but instead of fixing it somehow they just shelved her until the very end where it took the Power Gem to stop her.

Honestly I think a lot of the issues would've been fixed if she was introduced sooner into the MCU or if she had a humbling moment like the rest of the Avengers did when they fought Thanos in Infinity War. Because frankly her saying groan inducing lines like "you'll win because you have me now" and being proven right isn't a good way to make people like your character.

Mighty Member

Who cares?

It's an alternate take for the story. Nothing in the MCU is one to one with any alternate universe. They're similar, not the same.

It's a dumb bit to argue that doesn't matter. She factors into one moment that's cool in isolation but doesn't really matter.

Like nobody's bitching about Wanda almost ripping thanos out of reality. Which similarly doesn't matter cause both don't actually do it.

If your initial arguing point is "This isn't like how it is in the comics." and it's purely related to something as unimportant as power levels... man, **** off.
    Last edited by Woozie; 08-29-2019 at 08:16 AM.

I think having a super powerful character is fine so long as they are used in proper context. She's sort of their Superman. But unlike Superman she's not around all the time, which actually makes her a far more workable character IMO. She's just around for the really big stuff.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Who cares?

It's an alternate take for the story. Nothing in the MCU is one to one with any alternate universe. They're similar, not the same.

It's a dumb bit to argue that doesn't matter. She factors into one moment that's cool in isolation but doesn't really matter.

Like nobody's bitching about Wanda almost ripping thanos out of reality. Which similarly doesn't matter cause both don't actually do it.

If your initial arguing point is "This isn't like how it is in the comics." and it's purely related to something as unimportant as power levels... man, **** off.
    Nobody's complaining about Wanda because she changed Marvel Comics for over 8 years after she blamed her father for loving mutants too much. Carol? She got a huge Civil War 2 push and that was it.

Don't worry about it, she will be nerfed in every appearance from now on. Marvel really needed to put her over with the audience so it was important that she had a good showing. Now that she has, the levels will drop. No writer wants to try to come up with challenges for a character that powerful.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Who cares?

People like what they like, and enjoy the aspects of sci-fi and fantasy that they enjoy.

If folks want to talk about power levels, let them talk about power levels. You're posting on a comic book forum, don't act so high and mighty.

it's okay she can beat thanos but she can't beat thanos car
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

It's an adaptation. In other words, it takes place in an alternate reality to 616 Marvel. Things won't be the same and they don't have to completely adhere to the comics.

Anything can happen in an alt reality and we as comic fans usually understand that. We should treat the film adaptations the same way when it comes to certain changes.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    People like what they like, and enjoy the aspects of sci-fi and fantasy that they enjoy.

If folks want to talk about power levels, let them talk about power levels. You're posting on a comic book forum, don't act so high and mighty.
    I never said people don't like what they like, but this is about a video complaining about an interpretation of a character being stronger than somebody wanted for... no real reason. It's an alternative take, what you know or expect on something as arbitrary as power tiers is silly. The issue isn't power levels, it's why do you care about power levels when they don't actually factor into how the narrative progresses?

Marvel could be as weak as ant man, or strong enough to finger flick thor into the sun. At the end of the day, she doesn't stop thanos and factors into what? 3 scenes?

BANNED

Everything about her background is different including how she got her powers and where and how she spent most of her time.

At this point the character is the comic version in name only. People who got their abilities from a stone like scarlet witch, Cap Marvel etc are strong enough to contend. Strange learned a lot of his magic through time stone shenanigans, vision would be that strong if not for him getting stabbed early and rendered useless.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 08-29-2019 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think having a super powerful character is fine so long as they are used in proper context. She's sort of their Superman. But unlike Superman she's not around all the time, which actually makes her a far more workable character IMO. She's just around for the really big stuff.
    I think Thor should be Marvel's Superman even though he's not as well liked as Spider-Man and Wolverine.

The problem with power levels is the MCU is the default Marvel universe for many, many people and the characters in the comics often twist themselves into pretzels in order to match the movies, disregarding previous personality and continuity. Plus seeing Thanos being wrecked by a weak formation of GOTG at hands of Bendis was irritating for me.

Too many people think Son Goku can destroy the Marvel universe alone.

BANNED

For carol danvers in the comics, it's pretty easy to make her a match for thanos and it make complete sense, just give her a big enough energy source that she can link up to in her binary state, and she'd be a match. Her prior "white hole" energy source isn't big enough, but can come up with her linking to a supermassive black hole or sth and become strong enough.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 08-29-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    I think Thor should be Marvel's Superman even though he's not as well liked as Spider-Man and Wolverine.

The problem with power levels is the MCU is the default Marvel universe for many, many people and the characters in the comics often twist themselves into pretzels in order to match the movies, disregarding previous personality and continuity. Plus seeing Thanos being wrecked by a weak formation of GOTG at hands of Bendis was irritating for me.

Too many people think Son Goku can destroy the Marvel universe alone.
    In Carols case it's actually pretty easy to justify a power upgrade. She previously was Binary, who was a low end cosmic level character. Though her power levels have diminished since then, we know she can reach that level again by absorbing energy. So it doesn't take much to justify her being closer in standing to her MCU counterpart.

And yes, in the MCU Thor was sort of their Superman. But I think his character might be going in a different direction, to the point where Carol might be a better fit in that role. But we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In Carols case it's actually pretty easy to justify a power upgrade. She previously was Binary, who was a low end cosmic level character. Though her power levels have diminished since then, we know she can reach that level again by absorbing energy. So it doesn't take much to justify her being closer in standing to her MCU counterpart.

And yes, in the MCU Thor was sort of their Superman. But I think his character might be going in a different direction, to the point where Carol might be a better fit in that role. But we'll see.
    MCU Thor is too much of a goofball compared to 616 Thor. Also they basically turned him into Beta Ray Bill by joining the GOTG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    For carol danvers in the comics, it's pretty easy to make her a match for thanos and it make complete sense, just give her a big enough energy source that she can link up to in her binary state, and she'd be a match. Her prior "white hole" energy source isn't big enough, but can come up with her linking to a supermassive black hole or sth and become strong enough.
    I'd prefer Marvel would stop using Thanos after the release of the final OGN book. There are many powerful antagonists that Carol could beat in a duel instead of the dumbed down and ill-conceived version of Thanos we've been getting since 2012 with Bendis' Avengers Assemble.