Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Hmm...looks like clear evidence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post

to be fair, thanos was really weakened there, presumably from coming into the multiverse through a wormhole

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Except MCU Thor got a power-up with Ragnorak, and despite being kinda jokish, that version of Thor is not a sorry unworthy jobber.
    OP's concerns are twofold, one about thor being very jok-ish, and second about him being a bit of a jobber especially in endgame.
    The ragnarok part of my argument tackles his increased humor. It's not "kinda jok-ish" it's full on being made the butt of slapstick humor.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 08-30-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    to be fair, thanos was really weakened there, presumably from coming into the multiverse through a wormhole

OP's concerns are twofold, one about thor being very jok-ish, and second about him being a bit of a jobber especially in endgame.
    The ragnarok part of my argument tackles his increased humor. It's not "kinda jok-ish" it's full on being made the butt of slapstick humor.
    I mean the more recent comics, not really Endgame, at best he was just not in his best shape in Endgame.
    MCU synergy done by Marvel Comics always kinda totally missed the point and just add some superficial traits that don't really fit the comic version.

BANNED

I mean the more recent comics, not really Endgame, at best he was just not in his best shape in Endgame.
    MCU synergy done by Marvel Comics always kinda totally missed the point and just add some superficial traits that don't really fit the comic version.
    I think the recent comics is more because of thor becoming unworthy in a stupid way, and then becoming over-reliant on the hammer.
    There's a little mixing up and confusion here, because OP's concern is: Thor in the movies was jokey, mocked, and made kinda pathetic, so the comics decided to go that direction, because he's speaking more in the movie terms (producer's darling, casuals etc)

I'm more addressing, that while the mcu may have played a part in aaron's version of thor being less serious in demeanor, the jobbing part doesn't have a whole lot to do with it (simply because of the timing), and it doesn't make sense to make him job to promote carol, because she isn't shown to be stronger in those scenarios. Like when greg pak had Amadeus cho run wild carol and everyone else is about as ineffective, and thor is somewhat more effective.

It would have some basis to say that thor got a jobber streak to buff up jane foster however, but that's it's own discussion.
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 08-30-2019 at 07:04 PM.

Didn't Thor do a good job in his second go round against Thanos in Avengers: Infinity?

He nearly killed him and almost prevented the snap.

Except MCU Thor got a power-up with Ragnorak, and despite being kinda jokish, that version of Thor is not a sorry unworthy jobber.
    Thor lost his Ragnarok power-up when Asgard was destroyed. He was drawing his power from Asgard, same as Hela.

I would also like to point out Carol has led three teams to defeat Thanos and place him in custody

1.Civil War 2 Intro
    2.The Ultimates Coviak War tie in
    3. And with the Guardians of the Galaxy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Thor lost his Ragnarok power-up when Asgard was destroyed. He was drawing his power from Asgard, same as Hela.
    It's never specifically stated that he lost his power, also his first power awakening happened in Sakaar, not Asgard, it's stated that Hela draws power from Asgard when she physically reaches there.
    And also Odin in Thor's vision emphasize the hammer being a conduit for his inner strength, so really I don't think Thor in Ragnorak is Asgard-powered.

BANNED

As long as Thor does not try to use lightning against her that should work^^

For Iron Man both should be someone he would be the underdog against. I mean Thor wiped the floor with him after returning shortly after Civil War. Against him he should be very careful^^

And Carol would be a problem for him too.

Astonishing Member

Ben Grimm did the same

Meh

Astonishing Member

Re the MCU

I don't really have any issue with the power shown by carol

I thought it did show thanos to be weaker than his comic counterpart on base stats

I'm more irritated that in MCU, Thor, hulk, strange and Wanda were all powered down somewhat, mostly I appreciate for power scaling

What did irritate me is they did the very opposite for cm

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Ben Grimm did the same

Meh
    Sounds like the issue isn't with Ben or Carol but writers jobbing Thanos occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Re the MCU

I don't really have any issue with the power shown by carol

I thought it did show thanos to be weaker than his comic counterpart on base stats

I'm more irritated that in MCU, Thor, hulk, strange and Wanda were all powered down somewhat, mostly I appreciate for power scaling

What did irritate me is they did the very opposite for cm
    I think it really depends on how the MCU plans on using these characters. It may work in the comics, but I understand scaling some characters back if they have multiple or drawn out tenures on a team that also consists of "normal" or "slightly above average" humans. If Hulk, Thor, Wanda and Strange reached their full comic-based power potentials then characters like Black Widow, Hawkeye and even Captain America and Iron Man to a certain extent could become unnecessary. Some characters like Cap and Tony, especially, make up for it with their leadership skills and intellect, but purely based on power levels they are also obsolete on a team of Gods, Hulks, Witches and Sorcerers.

Since Captain Marvel was taken off the board until the very end of Endgame and still didn't manage to defeat Thanos by herself, I don't see a problem with her powers being scaled up a little if that is the direction they want to go with in the movies. I would have been much more irritated had she been a Deus Ex Machina the entire film and left other characters with nothing to do. But that, fortunately, was not the case.

Her powers being scaled up would definitely be an issue though if she remained on Earth and there were no teammates or villains that could rival her.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 08-31-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Sounds like the issue isn't with Ben or Carol but writers jobbing Thanos occasionally.
    Thanos, like every character, is written inconsistently. Characters are written to further a writer's narrative and play a part in a story. If that means winning or losing a fight to a superior or perhaps inferior foe then it's just part of the game. I mean, Thanos took a full scream from Black Bolt head on and smiled it off. And Black Bolt, for example, took out Ben Grimm without even using his voice in the earlier comics. So even though Ben may have knocked out Thanos before (which I am basing off a comment above. I have never seen this happen in a comic myself. I probably missed it somewhere), that doesn't mean he can automatically take down Black Bolt now. I think you can't necessarily use a feat performed by a character to measure them against another character- it all depends on the writer and their visions.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 08-31-2019 at 07:28 AM.

Astonishing Member

Indeed, it was iirc a poor showing and he did look like a squash match generally