Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Fantastic Four #14

FANTASTIC FOUR #14
    DAN SLOTT (W) • PACO MEDINA (A) • Cover by MIKE DEODATO JR.

POINT OF ORIGIN begins!
    One of Reed Richards’ biggest regrets leads to a voyage to the one place in the universe the Fantastic Four have never been.
    A bold new chapter into the heart (and the start) of the Marvel Universe... and it all begins here! Don’t you dare miss this one!

https://www.newsarama.com/46745-fant...4-preview.html

if medina/izaakse don't stay as the pencillers for year 2 we riot
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I’m a little disappointed Sue looks like an old maid already. Other than that, I think it’s a good flashback of what really happened. One beef though - the original Stan Lee script had the FF going to Mars, not some binary star.

Were Duke and Sandy in that original script? I smell some major retconning. The Marvel-1 name for the ship is new too.

And yeah, Sue looks younger in the present day than in this flashback even though she should be two decades older now!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I personally like how this started with Johnny's perspective and a flashback on how exactly he got to join the flight.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I like the focus on Johnny and hopefully this leads to some interesting developments. I hope it's not just throwing Johnny into a romance with the new Sky character in the solicits. Give him something more than that.

Not happy about the side effect of this retcon being that now Sue is the only member who was completely unqualified to go on the mission...
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    if medina/izaakse don't stay as the pencillers for year 2 we riot
    I have serious doubts that they will have the same team for just this arc. They keep playing musical chairs with the art team. And why is Ben a ginger here??

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Not happy about the side effect of this retcon being that now Sue is the only member who was completely unqualified to go on the mission...
    This is where Slott can insert that Sue has a little interest in science. Or it can be something like the late Christa McAuliffe's mission of being the first teacher to go to space.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I like the focus on Johnny and hopefully this leads to some interesting developments. I hope it's not just throwing Johnny into a romance with the new Sky character in the solicits. Give him something more than that.

noticed that did you? it's like they read all of the threads asking for Sue to be developed and said, 'that's a great idea...for Johnny!'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    noticed that did you? it's like they read all of the threads asking for Sue to be developed and said, 'that's a great idea...for Johnny!'
    Sue has her own book and got a full issue-sized POV story in the wedding while Johnny has been the most underdeveloped member of the cast for the entire 21st century, even when he and Ben were the only ones still around.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Yeah, there are ways to work Sue and Johnny into being qualified to fly. Sue and Johnny needed some backing BEFORE the flight to be worthy of the trip. Now, Sue has her mini currently where she's delving into the spy world, but that is a result of her powers, not Sue as a character who was initially part of the four. I've said it before but Sue needs more updating than the other three team members. The role in the early sixties was loaded with stereotyping, despite the progressive qualities added to her.

I've been a big fan of the origin as an adventure unto itself and more than just a spider bite or being hit by a truck. We should be seeing the foursome working as a team and exhbiting their own talents and abilities. But this is only fanboy entitlement, right?

I highly doubt it was intentional. Just an unfortunate side effect. But I'm happy that Johnny is getting attention and my hope from this is that it leads to more story options for him, besides the usual ones about his immaturity.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Yeah, there are ways to work Sue and Johnny into being qualified to fly. Sue and Johnny needed some backing BEFORE the flight to be worthy of the trip. Now, Sue has her mini currently where she's delving into the spy world, but that is a result of her powers, not Sue as a character who was initially part of the four. I've said it before but Sue needs more updating than the other three team members. The role in the early sixties was loaded with stereotyping, despite the progressive qualities added to her.

I've been a big fan of the origin as an adventure unto itself and more than just a spider bite or being hit by a truck. We should be seeing the foursome working as a team and exhbiting their own talents and abilities. But this is only fanboy entitlement, right?
    Yeah I pretty much agree.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Sue has her own book and got a full issue-sized POV story in the wedding while Johnny has been the most underdeveloped member of the cast for the entire 21st century, even when he and Ben were the only ones still around.
    Johnny used to have a book. we've seen him pursue acting, fire fighting, going to college, becoming the herald of galactus, becoming a businessman of some sort, and starting a band. we've seen his agent. we've seen his fight choreographers. he's not underdeveloped. he's shallow.

Johnny used to have a book. we've seen him pursue acting, fire fighting, going to college, becoming the herald of galactus, becoming a businessman of some sort, and starting a band. we've seen his agent. we've seen his fight choreographers. he's not underdeveloped. he's shallow.
    Well I think you nailed it, of all the FF characters Johnny is the only one I still can't see grow up for real, even worse, when he was supposed to be a young man that was somewhat understable (at worse he was entitled, spoiled and a troublemaker) but as the years pass he becomes more and more into a manchild.