Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Oh my god. This issue is gorgeous. And what a smart way to give the whole team, like, the WHOLE TEAM, a new "white whale" to conquer. That's the continuity finessing I like to see, baby. And it's the best "chapter of an arc that feels like a one-in-done" I've read since Lord knows when.

And John standing up for his brother
    And Ben in a suit with his ring
    And Reed being a dumbass and hurting precious Alicia
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Mighty Member

Hey look, an issue I don't feel the urge to burn in the trash.

The updated ship as an FTL experiment was exactly what I wanted. The art is good, but I can't help it when I have certain hesitation on getting used to it with good reason. I liked that we have more character interactions than just some problem of the day scenario like most of this run feels like.

Hope the storyline feels satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    I really enjoyed this issue. It's a great jumping on point for new readers and I like how the origin was modernized from going to the moon to going to being the first to use a FTL drive the next solar system. Yet it didn't completely sacrifice the 60s feel to do so. I also like how Reed and Johnny were written and the relationship/interaction between the team was really good and showed how they were a family. It didn't beat you over the head with them talking about how much of a family they are, like the previous arcs in this run.
    Plus I really love the art. Hope it stays consistent....

I'm looking forward to how this arc plays out, I hope it does something new and interesting for the team.
    I agree. The Reed and Johnny bonding was the highlight of the issue for me as we occasionally see Ben and Sue, but even rarer is Reed and Johnny. It's nice to see the two of them having something to bond over. I also saw a lot of realism in the kids reaction to the trip. This was straight out of a regular family dragging, I mean bringing, kids on a camping trip away from their devices and electronics.

One of my thoughts about Slott has been his much heavier reliance on family qualities and less on superheroics or science fiction. This issue doesn't really break away from that, but the arc looks like it's going to lean further into the science fiction exploration.

Mighty Member

Anyone else mistake Franklin for Julian Keller? Just me? Well then...

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

This issue was pretty good even for a laid back issue. Still don't see people's issue with Slott.
    "Cable was right!"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    I can't justify this. I mean, yes they want to give Johny some justification to be there, but a lazy teen suddenly taking a course designed for trained adults who had traiden all his live his mind and body, and just passing it, is too much, that would make Johny into a physical and mental prodigy who never was stated to be before. To be honest I was ok with the nepotism who made him being there just because he wanted and his sister is permissive.

I suppose that the other two people are actually trained astronauts, who were left behind for some reason, I suppose we should see the issue and verify.
    Johnny has never been shown as lazy. Even from the earliest issues, he was shown to have great interest in auto mechanics and racing. Over the years, he's always been partially credited with the development of the Fantasticar. I think this issue was pretty amazing in that regard as you actually get to see Reed and Johnny collaborate on the rocket design and build. This has always been part of his character - even though many writers tend to overlook it for the quick take of Johnny as immature and directionless.

The interaction between Ben and Alicia was fun and again -- after so many years of them being a couple it was good to see just how well she gets him. And Ben's guilt over the rocket crash has never really been explored -- he was right about the cosmic rays back then but still feels like he failed because they crashed.

Astonishing Member

Interesting first part of the new story arc.
    Story wise i liked how the story was related to Fantatic Four#1.The part with H.E.R.B.I.E. and the Thing was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    This issue was pretty good even for a laid back issue. Still don't see people's issue with Slott.
    Much of the negative opinion comes from the increased use of the family part of the FF franchise. It's more family drama than super-hero book. Those I take as personal opinions of what fans want to see. But Slott's relied on this more than any other writer and that is something I don't think can be denied.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Much of the negative opinion comes from the increased use of the family part of the FF franchise. It's more family drama than super-hero book. Those I take as personal opinions of what fans want to see. But Slott's relied on this more than any other writer and that is something I don't think can be denied.
    Waid/Ringo was really the most family-focused run. (And also like, in the top 3 FF runs.)
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Plus franklin complaing all the time gets complaints and him turning dr doom back into the same dull "we did the same thing for 50 years" doom after we got a fresh of breath air "anti hero" doom with a fixed face that changed up the worn out and sick of doom marvel shoved down our throats for the last few years. After secret wars 4 I was so sick of doom. It was a really welcome change and he changed him back and had him attack the ff almost right away killing the change they set up. Ugh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Plus franklin complaing all the time gets complaints and him turning dr doom back into the same dull "we did the same thing for 50 years" doom after we got a fresh of breath air "anti hero" doom with a fixed face that changed up the worn out and sick of doom marvel shoved down our throats for the last few years. After secret wars 4 I was so sick of doom. It was a really welcome change and he changed him back and had him attack the ff almost right away killing the change they set up. Ugh.
    Franklin's a real pain at present imo

Doomd fall from being an antihero as such is a big loss imo, and I feel slott put him back in this book way too soon

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I do like the characterisation,but it doesread like a daytime soap

I feel the story plots have been really lacking

It's a steady 7/10 for me, but it's very forgettable from one month to the next

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Franklin's a real pain at present imo
    His characterization is the worst of him in a long time. It's every cliche teenage angst of not having power over their lives mixed in with the absolute worst characterization you could possibly give Franklin, being defined 100% by his powers.

I'm not against characters having angst, especially teenagers. I do teach college freshmen for a living. I just hate how repetitive his whole "screech, my powers are fading" he can be. I'm sure he stubs his toe and gives the same speech to the thing he stubbed it on.

oh yay. Franklin has entered his 'Connor' phase.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    His characterization is the worst of him in a long time. It's every cliche teenage angst of not having power over their lives mixed in with the absolute worst characterization you could possibly give Franklin, being defined 100% by his powers.

I'm not against characters having angst, especially teenagers. I do teach college freshmen for a living. I just hate how repetitive his whole "screech, my powers are fading" he can be. I'm sure he stubs his toe and gives the same speech to the thing he stubbed it on.
    One of Franklin's issues is his relative normalcy as far as his brian and mind are. The powers are something altogether different, but without his powers, he's a normal teenager. His life is full of unusual setting and circumstances and where Reed and val can play with devices and Sue, Ben, and Johnny also have non-power skills to be useful, Franklin doesn't have that. He was creating universes and doing something until the Richards returned to Earth. Teenagers, even at the best of times, are hormonal messes. Throw in loss of a role and powers and he has a situation where he does have reason to be pissed. He also hasn't developed the tools to deal with it as yet. Obviously, he's not likable right now. But his angst and drama are understandable.