Quote Originally Posted by Schumiac View Post
It is as simple as this for me: You do NOT update names of fictional characters created ages ago based on popularity/sensitivity of a."current" time because the fictional heroes are ageless and timeless. Perceptions of people may change in time, an unpopular name may become popular again at some point etc etc as people and times change but fictional heroes and their names are constants. They are the name character was created with and known as. The name carries their "history" which is not something to be ashamed off and ignore but rather proud of. Dick Grayson still being around after 80 years IS a big deal. So what if his name shows it. Who cares? It wont stop people from reading him (including younger generation). It wont prevent him from being popular or regarded as cool (assuming he is written properly). His name doesnt take anything from him...

And really the argument comes down to "no one in MY time and MY proximity is called Dick anymore so he shouldnt either". Again. He is timeless and ageless and in a fictional world and obviously in HIS world the name Dick is still used.

Besides it would look ridiculous for a character who wnet with Dick Grayson for 80 years to suddenly stsrt being called "Ric" or Rick" or "Rich". I mean what,, one day he woke up and decided the name he was given by his parents and what everyone has been calling him so far is "bad" and not hip enough so decides to change it and everyone just goes with it? Lol Even the stupid amnesia story wouldnt really work to justify it imho, even if it was written half-decent. Because in the end he would have to get his memories back and once they are back no reason for him to stick with same name he went by during a traumatic time over the name and family and friends have been using for all his life. And dont even get me started on the whole "all he remembers is his circus life so he changed the name his BIOLOGICAL PARENTS gave him -and one of the only things he knows and remembers about himself- and started going with something else to distance himself from all things Bruce" thing.. and Ric? Really Ric? I rather he went with John or completely made up a new name while at it.

Also, dont deny Dc their Dick" jokes...
Yeah in-universe changing his name would be a pretty big middle finger to his parents. You know the people who he loved so much that he became a superhero because of their deaths.

There are real issues with this industry and Dick's name isn't one of them.