Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default The case for/against the name Ric

Lots of strong feelings about Nightwing's alter ego being Ric or Dick. I don't read the series, only heard things on these boards and on comic news sites.

Certainly Dick is an old fashioned name that no one names their kids anymore. I'm still surprised older men still go by it TBH, but hey its your name right?

So, does it stand to reason that a younger man would prefer to go by another nickname for Richard besides Dick? Or it his name too entrenched in tradition and history that its blasphemous to change it in 2019?

I'll catch a lot of hell for it, but I'm one of the 2 people on the planet who doesn't care. I'm not liking this amnesia direction, but I care nothing for whether he wants to go by Dick or Ric. When he's eventually himself again, if he continues to go by Ric then I don't care as long as his character depiction is right. I think the arguments and outrage over the name are a bit silly myself, though to each their own.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

I can see the case that Dick is outdated. I don't agree with it, but I see it.

But Ric? Ric is even worse. No offense to anyone who may be named that way, but that's the dumbest way to spell it.

That stupid, cutesy spelling ensured that it would never stick.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

I think Ric is dead in the water because of the amnesia storyline.

I think he's always gone by Dick, and even if it is old fashioned, there's really no reason to change it. Roy and Wally and Lois are old-fashioned, too. Dick, admittedly, will result in a snort or laughter from some at first, but then you quit even thinking about it. Dick Grayson has name recognition, and that's not nothing.

If he was going to go by something else, Richard (which they already tried) or Rick would be better than Ric, which is far less common and more likely to be seen as faddish, dated or silly in the future.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-29-2019 at 03:44 PM.

Well IMO, if tomorrow DC announced that Nightwing is done with whatever amnesia he has, and from this moment forth he's going by "Rick Grayson", I would be completely onboard.

Ric is a better name than Dick, nobody, and I mean absolutely nobody the age Grayson is supposed to be goes by the name Dick. That said I'd prefer Rick or Rich or skipping nicknames altogether and just using Richard. Even if Ric was okay, that name is now tainted by such a horrible mess of a run. So Ric is out of the question because of the story told with it, but Dick really needs to go as a name. It is outdated, and only works as a believable nickname for him if you age him up to be a baby boomer.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Lots of strong feelings about Nightwing's alter ego being Ric or Dick. I don't read the series, only heard things on these boards and on comic news sites.

Certainly Dick is an old fashioned name that no one names their kids anymore. I'm still surprised older men still go by it TBH, but hey its your name right?

So, does it stand to reason that a younger man would prefer to go by another nickname for Richard besides Dick? Or it his name too entrenched in tradition and history that its blasphemous to change it in 2019?
    Yes to both.

I dont know anyone under 40 (at least) who goes by Dick. No one the age Dick Grayson is supposed to be would use that name. However, there's far too much history behind the name to make changing it a good idea.

However, as a fan I wouldn't be against the idea if, like tib2d2 said, if DC wrapped up the "Ric" story, Dick got his memories back, became Nightwing again, and just went by "Rick" I'd be okay with it. The "Ric" spelling is stupid as sh*t and will become dated far more quickly than Dick did, but "Rick" wouldn't be the worst thing. But in all honesty I don't think even that minor change would stick. Dick Grayson is Dick Grayson and trying to change his name after eighty damn years isn't going to be any more successful than changing Bruce Wayne's.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

but Dick really needs to go as a name.
    Strongly disagree. He's Dick Grayson. That's me, that's who he is. Even if it is old-fashioned.

Would I create a new character today and call him Dick - no. But he's not a new character, and I don't want to change his (nick)name. There's just no way for it not to feel false if done in the comic at this point.

I dont know anyone under 40 (at least) who goes by Dick. No one the age Dick Grayson is supposed to be would use that name. However, there's far too much history behind the name to make changing it a good idea.
    You said it better.

I really don't see the problem with Dick Grayson, like at all. Anyone who finds it "weird" must be young. Or live in a bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I really don't see the problem with Dick Grayson, like at all. Anyone who finds it "weird" must be young. Or live in a bubble.
    Well I appreciate you calling me young, haha!

like tib2d2 said, if DC wrapped up the "Ric" story, Dick got his memories back, became Nightwing again, and just went by "Rick" I'd be okay with it
    When he's eventually himself again, if he continues to go by Ric then I don't care as long as his character depiction is right.
    Talk like this will start "New Coke" like conspiracy theories that the entire amnesia storyline was a tactic to change Dick's name without outrage.

"Dick" Grayson may get a chuckle, but the people move on. Keep it. With certain people calling him "Richard" (like Starfire).

Doesn’t matter, the reasons for “Ric” and any chance it might of have had is lost because of the embarrassingly poor work that accompanied it. “Ric” will now be the catch all for probably the worse work in the character’s history, and is something people will use to mock DC for.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 08-29-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    "Dick" Grayson may get a chuckle, but the people move on. Keep it. With certain people calling him "Richard" (like Starfire).
    I don't like Starfire calling him Richard - she certainly didn't originally, and goes by a nickname herself. There's no reason she should be formal or call him by a name he doesn't go by. Alfred also called him Master Dick until at least the 1990s. Which makes sense, because Dick is what he goes by.

Not on topic, but when did we have it confirmed Dick's name was Richard? I mean, it's a common diminutive of the time, but "Dick" not "Richard" has been a not-incredibly-unpopular baby name at times (search it). Like naming a kid Angie or Jenny instead of Angela or Jennifer. Or the kid in my class called "Ted" - his middle name was "Ted" rather than him being named Theodore or Edward. I mean, I assumed Richard (and Richard was much more popular), of course, but was just curious.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-29-2019 at 04:36 PM.

The name Dick Grayson is part of pop culture. Even my folks and their friends know that Batman's chum and partner is called Dick Grayson. Sure it's old Fashioned but I don't mind. I honestly doubt that many are bothered.

It shouldn't be changed.