Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Look all I'm saying is that this panel wouldn't exist if he's not named Dick

tumblr_pwydofNIfb1tqtv6qo1_1280.jpg

I live for this kinda thing

Mighty Member

Eh, while Dick may sound like an old timey nickname, as well as the jokes that would come from it at first (people get over it), I feel that there is nothing wrong with it. Ric sounds like it's trying to be hard to be hip and now.

The jokes aren’t necessarily a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    The jokes aren’t necessarily a bad thing.
    Eh, disagree. Most of the time the jokes just make me want to groan.

Although comedy is one of those subjective eye of the beholder things I'm told.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, disagree. Most of the time the jokes just make me want to groan.

Although comedy is one of those subjective eye of the beholder things I'm told.
    If you don’t like jokes and wisecracks the you don’t like dick at all

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Incorrect. Dick was absolutely not quippy or jokey for the most part of the 1970s and 80s
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Incorrect. Dick was absolutely not quippy or jokey for the most part of the 1970s and 80s
    But he was before then and after. Generally speaking Dick in most of his publication history and other media appearances he is jokey, quipy, or some level of funny. What's your point?

A lot of characters act different during different eras. Like it would be weird complaining that Silver Age Dick is nothing like Dick when he was with the Outsiders.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

You can be a fan of the character from either the TT cartoon, the Titans show, or even comics from this period and be a fan of that depiction of the character. No need to gatekeep fandom
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

You can be a fan of the character from either the TT cartoon, the Titans show, or even comics from this period and be a fan of that depiction of the character. No need to gatekeep fandom
    Exactly so. I like Dick mostly in the first half of 1980s and last half of the 1990s, and I do like him in the 1970s, too. I do not much care for him in recent era, and avoid reading him for the most part because it irritates me how much I think the character has been diminished. And, while Dick was somewhat quippy before the 1970s, he was not exceptionally so - he was basically the same amount quippy as all the other heroes (including Batman). I don't really get how he gets the rep for quips and (and is sometimes derided for it), and it gets forgotten for the others.

But he was before then and after. Generally speaking Dick in most of his publication history and other media appearances he is jokey, quipy, or some level of funny. What's your point?
    Like I said, he was no more funny than all the others in the old days, and it really bugs me that he gets a rep for having always been that way (in juxtaposition to others) when that's not really accurate, IMO. This includes making fun of his costume, but not other people's that are just as ridiculous and making him responsible for the "dumb Bat-names."
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-07-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Exactly so. I like Dick mostly in the first half of 1980s and last half of the 1990s, and I do like him in the 1970s, too. I do not much care for him in recent era, and avoid reading him for the most part because it irritates me how much I think the character has been diminished. And, while Dick was somewhat quippy before the 1970s, he was not exceptionally so - he was basically the same amount quippy as all the other heroes (including Batman). I don't really get how he gets the rep for quips and (and is sometimes derided for it), and it gets forgotten for the others.

Like I said, he was no more funny than all the others in the old days, and it really bugs me that he gets a rep for having always been that way (in juxtaposition to others) when that's not really accurate, IMO. This includes making fun of his costume, but not other people's that are just as ridiculous and making him responsible for the "dumb Bat-names."
    Batman 66 I think has cemented Dick as the quipy Robin for all time.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member

So you haven enjoyed him for the last 20 or so years point stands

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Batman 66 I think has cemented Dick as the quipy Robin for all time.
    But it didn't. He wasn't quippy for 25 years afterwards. It became only became a trait specifically attributed him much later.

So you haven enjoyed him for the last 20 or so years point stands
    Often true for me, and I admit it. Still better than Bruce - obviously it's ebbed and flowed, but I've not enjoyed him since he started getting really jerkish in the 1980s. Had some better times in the early and mid 1990s, but since the late '90s has often been insufferable. Neither of those is constant, but both happen enough to not make it worth reading the rest to look for the gems. And I didn't even start reading DC until 2015. It's just that I started with older issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I do like jokes and wisecracks - I don't like real world dick jokes. Again, comedy is a subjective thing, and not every single joke or wisecrack is the same. I can like the wisecracks most writers manage to come up with for the character's dialog and still dislike most jokes people come up with regarding his name. I like some of Dick's jokes, but I don't like dick jokes, get it?

Edit: That said, some people kind of push the quips too hard and then he comes across as a poor man's Spider-Man. The jokes aren't his only defining trait, or even his best.
    Last edited by Vakanai; 09-07-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    But it didn't. He wasn't quippy for 25 years afterwards. It became only became a trait specifically attributed him much later.

Often true for me, and I admit it. Still better than Bruce - obviously it's ebbed and flowed, but I've not enjoyed him since he started getting really jerkish in the 1980s. Had some better times in the early and mid 1990s, but since the late '90s has often been insufferable. Neither of those is constant, but both happen enough to not make it worth reading the rest to look for the gems. And I didn't even start reading DC until 2015. It's just that I started with older issues.
    I'm not talking about accuracy, I'm talking about perception. Which in the end is the only thing that matters. It's a part of him whether you site a specific era or not, it's how he is in the public eye. Walking up to any random person and having them describe Robin would probably go with that version or the Lego Batman movie version which was a parody of that version of the character. He'll be described as funny, brightly colored, etc.

It's like people arguing that Batman should kill because of a certain era or storyline. There is too much content and PERCEPTION of said content for any other way of viewing the character in a main stream interpretation. Comic retcons are also like this where they shift any original viewings of a character/story to something completely different and is now considered the only valid or is now an important aspect.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I'm not talking about accuracy, I'm talking about perception. Which in the end is the only thing that matters. It's a part of him whether you site a specific era or not, it's how he is in the public eye. Walking up to any random person and having them describe Robin would probably go with that version or the Lego Batman movie version which was a parody of that version of the character. He'll be described as funny, brightly colored, etc.

It's like people arguing that Batman should kill because of a certain era or storyline. There is too much content and PERCEPTION of said content for any other way of viewing the character in a main stream interpretation. Comic retcons are also like this where they shift any original viewings of a character/story to something completely different and is now considered the only valid or is now an important aspect.
    I don't think your argument makes sense - if we're using Lego movie Robin (wider public perception), then we'd be using movie-Batmans, too, and at least as many have killed as not.