Page 51 of 66 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 990

Thread: Young Justice

  1. #751
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post

    As funny as the trogowogs were, Nightwing came across as too whiny. I also hate his reasoning for keeping M'Gann out of the loop. And everyone just agrees with it?

    This is Young Justice, they're going to close some doors and leave others open. Hopefully at least one thing that is concluded will be satisfying.
    I don't think there is much of an argument on leaving M'Gann out, at least until they can truly establish that Conner is alive and can be pulled out of the zone. Maybe it's not the best reason, but it's an understandable one.

    YJ probably has been the most haphazard series I've seen, in terms of release schedule and how they use characters and execute plots. I've forgotten so much of this show from season 1 & 2 and vaguely recall anything from 3. One day, I may get around to binging the earlier seasons again, but, at least for me, the show overall hasn't been that great of a rewatch pull.

    Compare YJ with Timm Justice League and follow on with Justice League Unlimited. I still watch shows of that series and they tied things up pretty good at the end.

    With YJ, opening doors for a series with no committment to continue is a bit of a disservice. It's like you watch just to see "where it's going", but you're not surprised when you see its effectively going nowhere.

  2. #752
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I think they might be saving some of the bigger, more emotional break through moments with people Gar was closest to, like M'Gann, Conner, or the Outsiders.
    That reminds me; remember his dream/whatever from last season where he was on a ship with Jason, Tula, Blue Beetle, and Wally? We know one of them is back...

  3. #753
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    86,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    Wow, Markovia is all kinds of screwed up. Violet should stay far away, and Beast Boy needs to be on a team that fights the Infiltrators.
    A part of me still feels bad for Brion and wants the heroes to clue in on him being manipulated, but that feels like a slower burn than even other slow burn plots.
    As funny as the trogowogs were, Nightwing came across as too whiny. I also hate his reasoning for keeping M'Gann out of the loop. And everyone just agrees with it?
    Not a great showing for Dick in the 2nd episode of his arc. Not bringing M'Gann is going to screw them over in the long run.
    The catchphrases were on fire this episode. Terra said the Markovian version of "Hello, Megan", and then there was the end credits. Who was it that said "Booyah", though? It sounded like Khary Payton, so...was that Black Lightning?
    Or that kid Cyborg went to school with that was basically Khary just using his Cyborg voice, back when he was playing almost every character either speaking to or circling around Victor like he was voice-stalking Zeno Robinson.
    I kind of am. Violet may be in college now, but they are the best example of a teenager facing teenage problems we've had on this show in a while. I'm not really a fan of Harper, though.
    I guess it feels like the characters are older now and so focused on the Superheroics that we don't get that relatable teen drama much anymore.
    Has Wing been acknowledged as the first sidekick in the DCU before this? It makes sense considering Crimson Avenger did have that "first costumed hero" thing going for a while, but I never really thought about the sidekick thing. I guess I assumed it was a JSA sidekick. I wonder how Stripesy feels about it.
    I think Geoff Johns did something with it at some point, but I could be wrong. It makes me wonder if the Seven Soldiers were a thing.

    I can imagine why teen sidekicks would look to Wing over Stripesy though .

  4. #754
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    29,666

    Default

    Yeah, Stripesy was a subversion - he was the adult sidekick to a teen hero, not the other way around like Batman and Robin.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  5. #755
    Mighty Member 90'sCartoonMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Lala Land
    Posts
    1,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    YJ probably has been the most haphazard series I've seen, in terms of release schedule and how they use characters and execute plots. I've forgotten so much of this show from season 1 & 2 and vaguely recall anything from 3. One day, I may get around to binging the earlier seasons again, but, at least for me, the show overall hasn't been that great of a rewatch pull.

    Compare YJ with Timm Justice League and follow on with Justice League Unlimited. I still watch shows of that series and they tied things up pretty good at the end.

    With YJ, opening doors for a series with no committment to continue is a bit of a disservice. It's like you watch just to see "where it's going", but you're not surprised when you see its effectively going nowhere.
    I think it might be worth it for you to rewatch earlier episodes because they have planted lots of seeds for plots that continue later, and if you've forgotten details, it'll be like watching with fresh eyes. The DCAU was great, but by the time of Unlimited, not many of the non-Big 7 characters had character-changing stories. Supergirl and Question did, but others like Aztek or Hawk and Dove were just one and done window dressing. When Young Justice expanded the cast in season 2, they wanted to give every character a chance to grow, or at least gave them the potential too, but the problem was a lot of that development happened off screen and we didn't get to see things like Tim and Cassie's romance or Black Lightning training Static.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    That reminds me; remember his dream/whatever from last season where he was on a ship with Jason, Tula, Blue Beetle, and Wally? We know one of them is back...
    I wonder what Gar's relationship with Jason was like? Were they close or was he in that dream just because Gar was dreaming about every person he knew that died. I feel like Jason's return would be more about how Dick, Barbara, and the Batfamily react rather than Beast Boy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or that kid Cyborg went to school with that was basically Khary just using his Cyborg voice, back when he was playing almost every character either speaking to or circling around Victor like he was voice-stalking Zeno Robinson.
    Voice-stalking? Now there's a concept. I watched it again with the captions on, and I'm even more confused. It says Silas Stone (who Khary Payton plays) says "Bravo, Bravo" and then it has Cyborg as saying "Booyah". I'm wondering if that was a mistake and it was supposed to be Silas saying both lines? Or maybe it was that random kid from Vic's school but whoever did the captioning didn't know how to credit that person.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it feels like the characters are older now and so focused on the Superheroics that we don't get that relatable teen drama much anymore.
    I think the show still needs that. But at the same time, it's great that someone like, say, Artemis is a full grown adult with a job and a mature relationship because it's been so long since season one.

  6. #756
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    86,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I wonder what Gar's relationship with Jason was like? Were they close or was he in that dream just because Gar was dreaming about every person he knew that died. I feel like Jason's return would be more about how Dick, Barbara, and the Batfamily react rather than Beast Boy.
    This is the first time season where they've outright mentioned Jason by name (or at least more frequently) but they really haven't done much to indicate exactly what his relationship was like with anyone, even those we know knew him.

  7. #757
    Spectacular Member primenumber101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    228

    Default

    In my personal opinion, but I found Beast Boy's recovery from depression in recent episode was rather ... underwhelming. Like they have been building up his depression for entirely of this season, yet when they actually show his recovery, they just simply said he is doing better after getting a pet dog. I'm not an health expert, but I was expecting some grand finale or at least some progress or effort that Beast Boy put himself through to recover his depression. Even his reconciliation with M'gann and Outsider members wasn't shown in the screen and instead just glossed over by Beast Boy saying he apologize to them and they're cool with him now.

    I would also think original members not telling M'gann about their effort to save Conner would eventually backfire to them. Remember when M'gann fried Caldur's brain because nobody told her that he was an undercover agent that working inside of the Light?

  8. #758
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    86,989

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post
    In my personal opinion, but I found Beast Boy's recovery from depression in recent episode was rather ... underwhelming. Like they have been building up his depression for entirely of this season, yet when they actually show his recovery, they just simply said he is doing better after getting a pet dog. I'm not an health expert, but I was expecting some grand finale or at least some progress or effort that Beast Boy put himself through to recover his depression. Even his reconciliation with M'gann and Outsider members wasn't shown in the screen and instead just glossed over by Beast Boy saying he apologize to them and they're cool with him now.

    I would also think original members not telling M'gann about their effort to save Conner would eventually backfire to them. Remember when M'gann fried Caldur's brain because nobody told her that he was an undercover agent that working inside of the Light?
    Yeah, it feels kind of like whiplash that they made his depression arc such a slow-burn but are now making his recovery happen so quick. Not that I think he's immediately fully recovered but he seems to have progressed far faster than you would expect so we can tie this plot up in a bow. And it didn't really have a point other than I guess showing the grief of Conners' "death" and doing a Superhero mental health story.

    I love how Dick says he hates keeping secrets and the show tries to show it as a bad thing but it somehow happens in literally every, single, season.

  9. #759
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is the first time season where they've outright mentioned Jason by name (or at least more frequently) but they really haven't done much to indicate exactly what his relationship was like with anyone, even those we know knew him.
    I mean, the biggest surprise is that the al'Ghuls are giving therapy sessions on Infinity Island. That, was SO not what I was expecting.

    As for Jason's ties to the Team at large; maybe he was friends with Gar? Would have only been a couple years difference.

  10. #760

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, it feels kind of like whiplash that they made his depression arc such a slow-burn but are now making his recovery happen so quick. Not that I think he's immediately fully recovered but he seems to have progressed far faster than you would expect so we can tie this plot up in a bow. And it didn't really have a point other than I guess showing the grief of Conners' "death" and doing a Superhero mental health story.

    I love how Dick says he hates keeping secrets and the show tries to show it as a bad thing but it somehow happens in literally every, single, season.
    Had to cram in a PSA about the importance of mental health, I suppose.

  11. #761
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    As for Jason's ties to the Team at large; maybe he was friends with Gar? Would have only been a couple years difference.
    Could have been as little as a few months actually.

    The challenge is that their time on the Team mostly didn't overlap.

    Gar was away with the Doom Patrol from Year 1 and Year 4, and joined the Team in Year 5.

    But Jason had died and been replaced by Tim (presumably after some training) by the middle of that year.

  12. #762
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8,890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Could have been as little as a few months actually.

    The challenge is that their time on the Team mostly didn't overlap.

    Gar was away with the Doom Patrol from Year 1 and Year 4, and joined the Team in Year 5.

    But Jason had died and been replaced by Tim (presumably after some training) by the middle of that year.
    Huh. Well, that's a shame. Wish we could have some light (no pun intended) shed on that era.

  13. #763
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Bronx, New York
    Posts
    11,869

    Default

    spoilers:
    Danny Chase being the thresher thrall was a pleasant surprise
    end of spoilers

  14. #764
    Spectacular Member TheCasualReader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2021
    Posts
    201

    Default


    I love Lor-Zod: he's just such a great villain and he keeps getting better and better. He was totally going to walk away before he realized "Oh wait, I could have some fun with this" and decided to screw with the son of the guy he murdered for no other reason than because the irony amused him. Tomar-Tu's sincere "Thank you!" just killed me. He was just such a sweetheart which made it all the worse in the best way (the music was a great detail too)

    Also, I know Lor probably brought Bart along because it's the equivalent of taking the keys out of the car, but I can completely buy that he also brought him along just as a prop to pose on - his level of dickishness is just right for that.

    I'm going to be sad when he's gone, but at the same time, I also don't want him to overstay because then his character might degrade over time. Let him be a great season villain and then exit the show with the same quality that he's had all throughout it.

    The fact that Lor refers to the Kaizer-Thrall as "he" and Danny Chase recognizes Ma'al heavily implies they both knew what it really was.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 05-26-2022 at 06:20 AM.

  15. #765

    Default

    It was a good episode. I didn't expect Danny to pop up as Kraizer-Thrall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •