Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Who needs the power of friendship when you have the power of being the main ship. Although I guess we had flashbacks of the rest of the Team back in the Phantom Zone.
    You mean the same flashbacks that weren't effective in doing anything to stop Conner from being Zod's puppet?

I mean ****, it's only his flashbacks with Supes and M'gann showing their romantic moments that actually made him stop lol.

I wonder if it's at a point where they just assume everything is The Light at this point.
    Hah, that'd be like how in Metal Gear Solid 4 had Snake assuming Patriots were behind everything, which I think some characters told him that was ridiculous, he was right at least most times, if not everytime lol.

Malefak proving that even genocidal extremists can get a win when you have allies in your corner...which rubs me the wrong way.
    YJ does tend to have a problem where characters commiting shitty actions get rewarded for 'em lol.

Probably a season 8 problem.
    Season 8 showing that event feels too soon, since the time skips don't advance time that much.

I mean ****, season 5 is what finally made the cartoon reach year 10 since the Team was formed, season 2 did the biggest timeskip by having it be 5 years, while 3's and 4's were smaller, 3 seasons to advance 10 more years would be pretty fast given how, again, the timeskips are smaller, considering a season advances 6 months and the time skips advance an year at least, maybe by season 10 we reach the Team's year 20, would prefer to be wrong though, 'cause even if we assume the cartoon lasts until season 10, that is gonna take forever to happen lol.

Considering how much the cartoon waited so damn long to marry Conner with M'gann though, I wonder if this is a point where the Team's original members become less active to the plot, or at least, Conner and M'gann do...

Or that fans weren't going to take it well hearing it name-dropped.
    Honestly the moment I heard Dinah saying they should make a sanctuary my reaction was more or less "noooo".

It's also funny to see Dinah suggest it when in HiC herself, she didn't care about it and is the smartest character in that damn comic by not staying in that insane place.

At least he has a good attitude about it!
    Not just a good attitude, he immediately congratulated Conner for getting engaged with M'gann back in season 3, while back then you could maybe think he was fucking around, season 4 makes it clear he's actually happy for them.

Gar having a type that hooks up together would be kind of funny.
    Also that, even if he never ended up with Tara in this.

Unless season 5 decides to say they dated after season 4 offscreen and it didn't work...

I miss the snaps.
    The snaps are fine, problem with Snapper in the comics is his opening his mouth.

That was one of my issues with their depiction of Mary. It just didn't feel like her. But it feels like they reorinted her characterization to make Black Mary make more sense.
    With the way they characterized her, it does "make sense" somewhat, problem is... Even if it's believable she's giving in to her addiction, it's pretty bizarre she's listening to some voice in her head enough to seemingly willingly become part of the Furies.

Hell, while the way the comics did was very stupid and makes no sense with previously established stuff, it did basically say "evil feels good", so Mary's change for evil has a reason, a very stupid one, but it's something, her becoming a Fury is another story... And it's also very funny it happened off-screen while the season was going on, even though she was an established character already, I think that's a first for YJ lol.

It would be kind of funny if they didn't put in much effort with her hero look compared to Black Mary because that was all they really cared about.
    That could be the case, 'cause as you pointed out, they might've reinterpreted her just for Black Mary to make sense.

Wonder if she'll keep the ponytail.
    I don't think so, skirt and her hair being loose are iconic to her looks lol.

Well, Lor-Zod doesn't look his age...
    I had to go to the wiki to confirm his age, but I correctly guessed he would be 16 before going there lol.

But yeah, he doesn't sound his age either lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Incredible Member

@Frontier: The problem is that we never saw the process of how Mary became a "power addict". It was only in this season where the character was properly introduced. It would make sense if Mary failed on a mission, resulting in the "death" of a team-mate (Jason Todd comes to mind). That sense of loss would be the catalyst in her need to stay "empowered" 24/7, until she realizes that she was not being herself anymore.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    @Frontier: The problem is that we never saw the process of how Mary became a "power addict". It was only in this season where the character was properly introduced. It would make sense if Mary failed on a mission, resulting in the "death" of a team-mate (Jason Todd comes to mind). That sense of loss would be the catalyst in her need to stay "empowered" 24/7, until she realizes that she was not being herself anymore.
    Agreed. They skipped some steps to stay in line with the crappy 'Countdown' story

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Frankly the only time any version of the League has a CMO (Chief
    Medical Officer) is when Dr. Midnight is around...and HE's a JSAer.

That the YJverse League has any kind of system at all in place to deal with situations like that is miraculous.
    Yeah, the Avengers have sometimes used Jane Foster for that, even before she became a superhero herself, and the Heroes For Hire / "Netflix" Defenders have Night Nurse, but the Justice League doesn't seem to have anyone. Too bad Batman and Flash's dads are dead, as aren't they both doctors?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    If it does get renewed, I could see the first half focusing quite a bit on the two newest Furies.
    We could potentially be seeing Uncle Marvel and Cap, Jr. suiting up.
    Freddy yes. Dudley, no chance. We're far more likely to see Pedro, Eugene and Darla than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Probably a teen, she doesn't look that old.

Knowing YJ though, she's probably 16, 'cause the cartoon loves that number very much, so much I sometimes groan when I notice it 'cause it's around a lot lol.
    Yeah, almost certainly 16. Kara's 15 or 16 in all of her origins in the comics (pre-Crisis, 2005, and New 52), right?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agreed. They skipped some steps to stay in line with the crappy 'Countdown' story
    I wish they had given her a better reason for not transforming than they did, but it really feels like a lot of their story decisions with her here were to try and make Countdown make sense even though nobody was asking them too.

It's like if they adapted Wally and made him an insecure schizophrenic just so a Heroes in Crisis adaption would make sense.

Ultimate Member

I wish they had given her a better reason for not transforming than they did, but it really feels like a lot of their story decisions with her here were to try and make Countdown make sense even though nobody was asking them too.

It's like if they adapted Wally and made him an insecure schizophrenic just so a Heroes in Crisis adaption would make sense.
    They really do run with the oddest bits of canon.

Like giving Roy a robot arm. Anyone asking for the Fall of Arsenal shouldn't be allowed on this planet

Like giving Roy a robot arm. Anyone asking for the Fall of Arsenal shouldn't be allowed on this planet
    It's not like they did a faithful adaptation of that story. Thank god.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    They still used it. It needs ti be buried and shot into the sun

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I don't think a tragedy is needed for this. She could enjoyed the confidence, excitement and abilities given to her in her powered form and took it to a dangerous level. She became the mask

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I don't think a tragedy is needed for this. She could enjoyed the confidence, excitement and abilities given to her in her powered form and took it to a dangerous level. She became the mask
    Well, a tragedy would've made her more sympathetic, but they were leaning hard into making her an antagonist I guess.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    ...Freddy yes. Dudley, no chance. We're far more likely to see Pedro, Eugene and Darla than him.
    On the other hand, would any of us have bet on Danny Chase turning up?

...Well, Lor-Zod doesn't look his age...
    Not even his biological age, once Metron was done with him.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 06-11-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Well, a tragedy would've made her more sympathetic, but they were leaning hard into making her an antagonist I guess.
    Mary turning into a villain of her own free will makes for a more interesting story.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    Static would have been nice.
    All my boy Static did this season was try to do an awkwardly attempt at cheering up Beast Boy with Jamie like they're both cheerleaders...

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, almost certainly 16. Kara's 15 or 16 in all of her origins in the comics (pre-Crisis, 2005, and New 52), right?
    I'm pretty sure 2005's was 15, I remember an issue mentioning she's 18 and I mentally noted she aged 3 years remarkably quick.

New 52 was likely 15 too, and unlike her post-crisis version, aged slowy, 'cause I remember an early Rebirth issue mentioning that it's only been a few months since she came to Earth, meaning her entire New 52 run and random issues she showed up in were all within an year.

Dunno about pre-crisis though, it might've been around that range, but they probably put less emphasis on her age, 'cause pre-crisis in general talked less about characters' ages.

In YJ it'll probably be 16, 'cause again, they really like that damn number lol.

It's also weird to try to make sense out of her Countdown characterization now, Countdown's last issue was published 14 years and 2 months ago, it's old ****, and not even cool old ****.

Imagine if they resurrect Wally to do that .

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Is it the story where besides him losing his arm, he goes back to using heroin and everyone including him are unsympathetic assholes?

The "characters have to face their fears" sequence in "Zatanna's" arc does make it look like Mary was a an arrogant bitch who's borderline villainous, so yeah...

I doubt she was 100% like that, since the fears are using exaggerations of each situation, but the thing is, for there to have an exaggeration, something was there, and the Billy who showed up in Mary's does point out she became addicted and fucked up, not to mention that before this, she seemed actually scared of transforming again, so they were indicating that Mary became pretty bad at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    On the other hand, would any of us have bet on Danny Chase turning up?
    A few days before I binge watched the rest of YJ's episodes (I stopped in the first episode of "Kaldur'ahm's" arc), I went to DC wiki and was baffled over why the hell Danny was one of the most viewed pages, and I was aware that YJ had episodes coming out still at that point, even with such things in mind, I didn't imagine at all he was gonna be in YJ lol.

Hell, when that cube was said to have an Earthling soul, of an 11 year old boy, I did try to guess who it could be, and I didn't imagine anyone too, Danny is just a surprise in general lol.

Also on episode 24, when Malefaak blasted him, I thought he was killed, and I was baffled at them making Danny likeable only to kill him in the same episode, though it then turned out he was fine.

Not even his biological age, once Metron was done with him.
    That's the most cathartic scene in all of YJ for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    That's the most cathartic scene in all of YJ for me.
    I have to say, Lor Zod was the best villain I can recall from all of YJ. You could understand what he was doing. Maybe even feel a bit for him as a twisted take on Superboy without people telling him he didn't have to be what he was designed as. But he so embraced and relished what he thought to be his destiny, became so awful a soul, you (at least, I) couldn't help a little "Yeah MoFo!" when I realized what Metron had done to him.

Extraordinary Member

Beast Boy ends up becoming a spokesperson for proper mental health and care, which I guess was the entire point of his sub-plot, though it's too late for him to get back together with Perdita. So what's newly single Beast Boy going to do? Is this where he gets together with Tara? Man, would that be ironic.

I'm glad the Legion got their happy ending, got to go home, and we got to see Brainiac-5 (why am I not surprised Ben Diskin ended up voicing him?), although I guess we'll have to keep speculating what it is Conner does that inspires the Legion.

It kind of amazes me how Batman had no dialogue this season. Like, not to say the season needed it, but I kind of miss hearing Bruce Greenwood...then again, we didn't get any dialogue for Wonder Woman or Green Arrow.

Black Canary talking about building Sanctuary was a big "oh no" moment for me. Like, with the emphasis on proper mental health and involvement we've gotten this season I can't imagine they would execute Sanctuary the same way the comics did, but it was such a disaster in the comics that I'm not sure what to expect from the show.

The post-credit scene was a pretty big cliffhanger to leave off on...as Black Mary and Kara Zor-El as Darkseid's latest Furies. Yes, that's right, a whole season of Kryptonian/Phantom Zone buildup, we finally have Kara as an evil Supergirl. I'm actually kind of curious what was the thought process behind taking two very similar female heroes and then emphasizing or debuting them on the show with their more villainous incarnations. Did they just think there was a good story there? Corruption of the innocent? Good girls going bad is hot? Either way having them paired together with Barda at the end makes me think we might see a ful-on Fury rebellion when they and Barda inevitably turn to good, although knowing this show that could take a full season or two to get too.

I did find it kind of funny that Mary's villain costume brought back her skirt. Like, what, it's okay for a villain to dress less conservatively compared to a hero? Honestly I think it's a better design than what we saw of her Shazam form, which is not something I expected to say. Also Supergirl has both a skirt and pants so people can have their cake and eat it too, although I wonder what her full heroic Supergirl costume might look like.
    I give Wiseman credit for revisiting famous DC storylines while removing the ick factor. Tera is one example, Arsenal is another. So BB/Tera doesn't have to be doomed in the YJ verse. In the same manner, Santuary doesn't have to be the dumpster fire that Heroes in Crisis was.

I've read somewhere that Bruce Greenwood isn't really interested in continuing on with the show. If there is a 5 season they will likely recast Batman.

As someone who was around for DC's "troubled teen" Supergirl and Black Mary's very explainable popularity burst. I am only surprised you didn't see this coming.

PS: Rule One in the DCU should be: Don't steal from Metron. Ever. Yikes.