Page 26 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Justice

I want to see Rocket get good character focus, but I hope we see more than just Orion and the Forever People.

Honestly really hype at the possibility of seeing Khan.

Random Zatanna thought: I feel like they miss the idea of her incantations when she's animated or live action. Having her speak the spells backwards was only fun because it took that bit of effort to read them backwards, which is a lot more difficult to decipher if you're only hearing her. I wish they'd have had the words float or appear during the incantations so that we could pick up on what she was saying. (I wonder how accurate the closed captioning is...)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Random Zatanna thought: I feel like they miss the idea of her incantations when she's animated or live action. Having her speak the spells backwards was only fun because it took that bit of effort to read them backwards, which is a lot more difficult to decipher if you're only hearing her. I wish they'd have had the words float or appear during the incantations so that we could pick up on what she was saying. (I wonder how accurate the closed captioning is...)
    I feel like you used to be able to hear her spells better in the earlier seasons, but also her magic was just...really not that impressive in this arc after the first episode, which might have been intentional if she was trying not to standout to intentionally sell her protege's as the next Dr. Fate's.

At the same time, it's fun when you can recognize and pick out words. Okay, I've only managed to recognize "etativel", but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I want to see Rocket get good character focus, but I hope we see more than just Orion and the Forever People.
    Hoping she doesn't get undercut between the Forever People stuff and the greater universe. That was my biggest gripe with Zatanna's arc; she felt like an afterthought.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Hoping she doesn't get undercut between the Forever People stuff and the greater universe. That was my biggest gripe with Zatanna's arc; she felt like an afterthought.
    I'm starting to wonder if that was intentional from an execution standpoint because she was trying not to stand out so her protege's would look better.

Doesn't really make it a great arc for her though.

I'm starting to wonder if that was intentional from an execution standpoint because she was trying not to stand out so her protege's would look better.

I'd be fine with that but even their screentime felt choppy. Sucks in Traci and Mary's case because they existed in-universe before this season and they just weren't getting screentime/on screen. Would've been nice to see their storylines feed off of something, Traci just disappeared last season after a certain point and was barely getting lines when she was there. Although I know Mary and the rest of the Shazam family plot got cut in Invasion due to the episode order.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thefinalguy View Post
    Although I know Mary and the rest of the Shazam family plot got cut in Invasion due to the episode order.
    I've heard that said anecdotally a couple of times and try to find a source for it. The closest I can figure as is a combination of assumption (the other seasons had 26 episodes, so the "original plan" for S2 must have been the same) and comments by Greg that they wanted to include cameos of Mary and Troia in Invasion.

However, if you dig into the actual sources, that's not quite how it went down. S2 was never even hinted to production to have 26 episodes, the initial order was for 10, then increased to 20, if anything planned plots were added not abandoned due to that.

Where plots were abandoned, was when the PTB forced Grandon to abandon his plans to fill in the "Five Year Gap" timeskip with the tie-in comic, which lead to the abandoning of several plots such as the adaptation/integration of the Showcase: Green Arrow short, the Marvel family plot and probably the origin story for Traya Smith.

Fantastic Member

That may have been part of it.

But if you look at the "weaknesses" of all three mini-arcs, then a trend emerges -- at least to me -- that hints at something else:

Basically, while the SuperMartian arc appears to be about the two of them at first blush, when you look compare it to the other two arcs, it's clear to me that it's actually a "Martian Arc" that focuses on the J'onzz-M'orzz family and the royal family as wholes rather than them as individuals.

There are also running threads of the Savage family, the Wu San family, the Crock-Nguyen-Harper family and the Zatara family through out the half-season and I think it's quite clear that families is what it's about, rather than heroes' stories as individuals.

Does this show not have a tie in comic?

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Does this show not have a tie in comic?
    Not anymore.

Yep. It engaged the reader by having them read her lines backwards. The spells weren't just random gibberish that the writer came up with, it was something the reader could figure out if they put in a little effort. It really is the kind of thing that only really works in a written effort..

I'm not sure which approach I prefer. Having the viewer figure it out is fun, especially YT'ers who can record and play her lines backwards but it's more effort compared to just reading them. Maybe show the spells as sub titles like how foreign languages are shown or maybe have the sub titles appear backwards?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Yep. It engaged the reader by having them read her lines backwards. The spells weren't just random gibberish that the writer came up with, it was something the reader could figure out if they put in a little effort. It really is the kind of thing that only really works in a written effort..

I'm not sure which approach I prefer. Having the viewer figure it out is fun, especially YT'ers who can record and play her lines backwards but it's more effort compared to just reading them. Maybe show the spells as sub titles like how foreign languages are shown or maybe have the sub titles appear backwards?
    That would make a lot of sense. They just did that with Bizarro on Superman and Lois.

Not anymore.
    That would explain a lot. They should bring that back.