Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Justice

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    I can't believe there wasn't a single mention about Dick and Barbara. Really?
    Dick may have gotten it worse than Rocket or Zatanna did.

I like how even tempered Zod is compared to his wife and his son. I didn't see Ursa getting the Eye of Ekron coming, that felt a little random, but cool nonetheless.

As for Nightwing faking his death...hmm...perhaps. He could have a bloodcap hidden somewhere on him like Artemis did when she faked her death.

Of course everything had to return to Earth. I'm hoping for an epic battle, but I also want to see some heartwarming reunion moments with Superboy and the others (assuming he'll be okay) and general season finale beats.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Nobody ever stays completely retired, not even Bioship.
    That's definitely a running theme. We see characters like Kent Nelson and Jay Garrick still doing hero work after they say they're retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    This show is rasing some interesting points about the PZ. In the old days it was just the worst of the worst, but here it seems Krypton was much more liberal in its use. The one woman screaming about being sentenced to 5 years and being there 40 really drives the point home that maybe they need to look into figuring something out.
    Reminded me of Mala on Superman the Animated Series. She had served her time in the Phantom Zone, so Superman freed her.

Beast Boy coma arc next ?
    I can already see the end tag. M'Gann or Perdita or someone is watching over Beast Boy in a hospital bed, and his monitor is giving off a slow "Beep...beep...beep..." as the credits roll.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Could it be that just everyone makes some sort of appearance in the finale?
    I don't know about "everyone", but it would be great to see most of the important characters. Season 2 really had a great finale with co-ordinating different squads around the world.

Aquaman was on the watchtower (last I checked) so he could theoretically contact The Flash to be there in a nanosecond or scramble whoever is available to head to Metropolis.

Extraordinary Member

Because obviously we needed a Beast Boy depression arc that had no real plot significance (other than showing people grieving over Conner) only to then speedrun his recovery...this show has some weird priorities sometimes.
    It must have occurred to the writers of this show that the Perez/ Wolfman version of Beast Boy backstory was REALLY messed up (and he's lucky that they didn't bring Terra into it) to the point where it's a wonder the dude can function all. and it wouldn't take much to push him over the edge.

The show kinda likes showing heroes in atypical situations (for superfolk). It got away with giving Connor a 'roid addiction early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    It must have occurred to the writers of this show that the Perez/ Wolfman version of Beast Boy backstory was REALLY messed up (and he's lucky that they didn't bring Terra into it) to the point where it's a wonder the dude can function all. and it wouldn't take much to push him over the edge.

The show kinda likes showing heroes in atypical situations (for superfolk). It got away with giving Connor a 'roid addiction early on.
    Is Beast Boy on the level of the OG!Team at this point? He feels like the most "main character" of anybody else on the show.

Fantastic Member TheCasualReader's Avatar

It feels like Beast Boy's depression arc should have been given to M'gann. I don't recall her really doing anything during the season's middle. It would also have added an extra layer to Nightwing not wanting to tell her that Connor might be alive until they were sure since by that point, M'gann would have just started to get better through treatment.

Also, they spend significant time on Beast Boy's decline and denial, but they didn't spend as much time on his recovery, so it kind of ends up falling flat as a recovery arc. There's some nice scenes (corgi buddies!), but it doesn't feel like a worthwhile investment storywise due to the time it borrowed from some arcs, such as Zatanna's, and it feels so isolated from the season's overall story and doesn't play a part in its finale (I really doubt it's somehow going to change in episode 26)

It also felt contrieved that nobody, in an organization that has emphasized mental healthcare and has teens with trauma, would make sure he'd received consoling after his brother-in-law died. There would have been some of the teens that would have seen the writing on the wall because teens actually know about this stuff.

It's another season four idea that I think could have been good, if different story choices had been made concerning it and the execution had also been different.
    Last edited by TheCasualReader; 06-06-2022 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCasualReader View Post
    It feels like Beast Boy's depression arc should have been given to M'gann. I don't recall her really doing anything during the season's middle. It would also have added an extra layer to Nightwing not wanting to tell her that Connor might be alive until they were sure since by that point, M'gann would have just started to get better through treatment.

Also, they spend significant time on Beast Boy's decline and denial, but they didn't spend as much time on his recovery, so it kind of ends up falling flat as a recovery arc. There's some nice scenes (corgi buddies!), but it doesn't feel like a worthwhile investment storywise due to the time it borrowed from some arcs, such as Zatanna's, and it feels so isolated from the season's overall story and doesn't play a part in its finale (I really doubt it's somehow going to change in episode 26)

It also felt contrieved that nobody, in an organization that has emphasized mental healthcare and has teens with trauma, would make sure he'd received consoling after his brother-in-law died. There would have been some of the teens that would have seen the writing on the wall because teens actually know about this stuff.

It's another season four idea that I think could have been good, if different story choices had been made concerning it and the execution had also been different.
    I don't begrudge them for wanting to do a Superhero mental health arc (and lord knows Beast Boy has enough problems to warrant it) so much as just there was so many more interesting things they could have focused on instead.

Like actually developing the Outsiders as a team would feel, to me, more worthwhile and significant than just developing Beast Boy's depression across an entire season only for it to really have no bearing on the plot.

I guess people who have actually gone through depression can probably better relate to it than I can, like how Halo's self-discovery is probably more relateable to others than to myself, but I'd rather see Cassie, Tim, Virgil, or any of the new Outsiders on mission than seeing Beast Boy's life spiral out of control.

Extraordinary Member

Frankly the only time any version of the League has a CMO (Chief
    Medical Officer) is when Dr. Midnight is around...and HE's a JSAer.

That the YJverse League has any kind of system at all in place to deal with situations like that is miraculous.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Frankly the only time any version of the League has a CMO (Chief
    Medical Officer) is when Dr. Midnight is around...and HE's a JSAer.

That the YJverse League has any kind of system at all in place to deal with situations like that is miraculous.
    I dunno, their members don't have their own books to keep them from doing the logical things that they should, so...

Pieter Cross (Dr. Mid-Nite III) was actually in season 1.

Mighty Member

That's a good point. I guess they picked Beast Boy because death is so prominent in his life and it was technically set up since "Nightmare Monkeys", but M'gann would've been a solid alternative. It also would've been ironic to see the teen counselor refusing to get help for her problems.

I'm assuming they wanted to cut to the chase on his recovery because they didn't think showing the specifics of him choosing animal therapy was too crucial. Plus it would annoy people who already thought he had too much screentime. Perhaps they could've done his Black Canary scenes sooner and develop his recovery more. But it is also an ongoing process and not something that ends the moment Garfield gets a dog.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Would it have worked better had they had the Black Canary session by the midpoint of the season? I guess they would've needed to cut out all the buildup.

Would it have worked better had they had the Black Canary session by the midpoint of the season? I guess they would've needed to cut out all the buildup.
    They wouldn't need to cut all the buildup: just cut out the repetition. For example, there's multiple scenes that hammer in the same point: Beast Boy can't sleep and is getting addicted to sleep medication. We don't need to see that again and again.

Have Beast Boy's story start in Artemis' arc, have a brief scene of it in the first episode of the magic arc and then return to it during Kaldur's arc - perhaps also using it to contrast his and Kaldur's handling of Connor's death. Beast Boy's story is so intrusive to the magic arc because the arc is already so overstuffed that it didn't even have time for its own central story, not to mention that Beast Boy's story is so disconnected from it that it might as well be taking place at another point in time because of how egregious it gets when the threat starts spamming volcanos across the world and necessitates a world-wide villain-hero team-up and it's just not a thing in Beast Boy's story.

They wouldn't need to cut all the buildup: just cut out the repetition. For example, there's multiple scenes that hammer in the same point: Beast Boy can't sleep and is getting addicted to sleep medication. We don't need to see that again and again.

Have Beast Boy's story start in Artemis' arc, have a brief scene of it in the first episode of the magic arc and then return to it during Kaldur's arc - perhaps also using it to contrast his and Kaldur's handling of Connor's death. Beast Boy's story is so intrusive to the magic arc because the arc is already so overstuffed that it didn't even have time for its own central story, not to mention that Beast Boy's story is so disconnected from it that it might as well be taking place at another point in time because of how egregious it gets when the threat starts spamming volcanos across the world and necessitates a world-wide villain-hero team-up and it's just not a thing in Beast Boy's story.
    That's probably a good way of doing it.

I still wish we had gotten more Outsiders content that didn't involve Beast Boy.

That's probably a good way of doing it.

I still wish we had gotten more Outsiders content that didn't involve Beast Boy.
    Static would have been nice.