Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Great TV Shows That Had An Awful Season

Despite delivering several seasons of entertaining content, even popular shows can have a rough season. Here are 10 shows that CBR singles out.

https://www.cbr.com/best-tv-shows-wo...son/#community

10. Community Season 4
    09. Friday Night Lights Season 2
    08. Felicity Season 4
    07. That ‘70s Show Season 8
    06. Homeland Season 2
    05. The Office Season 8
    04. Gilmore Girls Season 7
    03. Scrubs Season 9
    02. Parks & Recreation Season 1
    01. How I Met Your Mother Season 9

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

The final season of Northern Exposure (6) was pretty wretched.

And I wouldn't call them "awful" exactly but Xena season 5 and Buffy season 6 were definitely below par by the standards of the rest of the series.

Extraordinary Member

I would add The Waltons to this list.

The Waltons had 5 amazing seasons (1-5) followed by 3 very good seasons (6-8).

But season 9 was awful. Olivia and Grandma make no appearances and John is only in a handful of episodes before he leaves. Plus, we had to endure faux John Boy played by another actor.

All of this, as well as most of the episodes just didn't feel right. And I doubt there were very few servicemen in World War II with 70s feathered hairstyles(!)

All of them.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Despite delivering several seasons of entertaining content, even popular shows can have a rough season. Here are 10 shows that CBR singles out.

https://www.cbr.com/best-tv-shows-wo...son/#community

10. Community Season 4
    09. Friday Night Lights Season 2
    08. Felicity Season 4
    07. That ‘70s Show Season 8
    06. Homeland Season 2
    05. The Office Season 8
    04. Gilmore Girls Season 7
    03. Scrubs Season 9
    02. Parks & Recreation Season 1
    01. How I Met Your Mother Season 9
    So only shows in the 2000's count?

Doctor Who has had plenty of bad seasons often between good ones.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Dallas's (Original Series) the last few seasons were wobbly but the last one was especially bad (JR in the sanitarium was a little fun but the rest was awful).

IMO Flash after Season 3 it slightly bounced back with Season 5 but was never as good as it had been those 1st 3 seasons.

Legends after Stein died.

Supernatural after Season 7 season 7 was a mixed bag but afterwards there was only enough good episodes in total to make a single season and the show ran for 8 seasons after season 7.

Babylon 5 season 5 while not awful it was not as good as the 1st 4 mostly due to them wrapping up the planned storylines for season 5 in season 4 thinking they were going to be canceled.

Season 1 of the 90's FF cartoon was God awful was Season 2 was Fantastic same for the Iron Man 90's cartoon, but it was more noticeable with the FF but of how good season 2 was.

the 90's X-Men TAS had a rough last season.

Season 3 of Picard is Fantastic and Season 1 is mediocre but season 2 which started off strong with its 1st 2 episodes is really bad.

Fantastic Member

The Wire, season 5. It was just a slog to get through after the brilliance of the prior four seasons. Also, McNulty was the character I liked the least.

Incredible Member

Power Rangers has had some pretty bad seasons most notably Operation Overdrive, Samurai and Megaforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Dallas's (Original Series) the last few seasons were wobbly but the last one was especially bad (JR in the sanitarium was a little fun but the rest was awful).

IMO Flash after Season 3 it slightly bounced back with Season 5 but was never as good as it had been those 1st 3 seasons.

Legends after Stein died.

Supernatural after Season 7 season 7 was a mixed bag but afterwards there was only enough good episodes in total to make a single season and the show ran for 8 seasons after season 7.

Babylon 5 season 5 while not awful it was not as good as the 1st 4 mostly due to them wrapping up the planned storylines for season 5 in season 4 thinking they were going to be canceled.

Season 1 of the 90's FF cartoon was God awful was Season 2 was Fantastic same for the Iron Man 90's cartoon, but it was more noticeable with the FF but of how good season 2 was.

the 90's X-Men TAS had a rough last season.

Season 3 of Picard is Fantastic and Season 1 is mediocre but season 2 which started off strong with its 1st 2 episodes is really bad.

Like every other movie being bad, it's sort of a Trek cliche...TNG and DS9 in particular didn't really get into their groove until season 3 either. Although opinion is mixed on Voyager, Enterprise and Discovery I think it's generally agreed that they improved in their third seasons as well.

Funny thing is season 3 of TOS is it's worst...

Astonishing Member

FRIENDS with the season where you could tell they were just avoiding reuniting Ross and Rachel -- by adding new characters (Charlie -- total bore) and toying with a Rachel/Joey entanglement. That season is still difficult for me to watch. The writers seem to be relying on the actors to make the material better --- but there is only so much an actor can do without good material. I think the last really good season of FRIENDs is season 5 -- with the secret relationship between Monica and Chandler. There were good episodes in the seasons that followed -- especially those involving Rachel's older sister played by Christina Applegate, but there was a lot of filler as well.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiedetroit View Post
    The Wire, season 5. It was just a slog to get through after the brilliance of the prior four seasons. Also, McNulty was the character I liked the least.
    I lost interest in season 2 with the Docks and smuggling etc...

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by krazijoe View Post
    I lost interest in season 2 with the Docks and smuggling etc...
    Each season took me a couple episodes to get into, so I understand!

Mileage may vary but for TWD fans I think a lot consider the Saviors arc (6b-8) the weakest, with the show getting back on it's feet once Angela Kang took over (Seasons 9-finale)

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Flash from about S6 thru S9.

Conversely I feel that Fear the Walking Dead started very MEH and became a good show mid S3 to current.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime