Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 LastLast

Thread: Young Justice

You know that has no relevance on what I said, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Wouldn't count M'gann in season 1, she was blackmailed lol.

Her extreme actions in season 2, those were more fitting with that, done out of her own will too, not being coerced by someone else.
    That's a good point, season 2 M'gann was scary.

The problem is that it gave her fake closure, they pretended to be Wally to do so, that's pretty gross even though they had good intentions.

Would be pretty funny if season 5 brings that up again to give drama between Conner and M'gann again, only for him to forgive her, again.

This just made me realize "M'gann" rhymes with "again", which does help to make Conner constantly forgiving her bad actions even funnier somehow lol.
    Her closure is close enough, although deceptive, which isn't off brand for the show. I don't want them re-opening Artemis' wounds or M'gann and Conner having marital problems.

So yeah, Vandal and Klarion are the biggest constants here, and Vandal in particular gets rather silly wanks... Him being the origin of meta gene, Homo Magi, Atlanteans, being the reason why Atlantis sunk, and being the reason why the Starro invasion happened so many years later... It can look a bit odd to suddenly make him be behind all of this if you don't know comics, but if you do, it can become a big "but why" moment lol.
    I like Vandal Savage being so involved in those events, especially since he was a hero for so long. Ra's Al Ghul has been relevant here and there, but he's no longer part of the Light, and I think it is important to see him again. As long as he doesn't work with the Light.

It doesn't help that, since season 3, the only newcomer who gets consistent screen time is Garfield, the others from season 2 and season 3 all got sidelined really hard.
    Makes you wonder how they decide who they're using. Is it just because Beast Boy is so popular and well known in general? He is more unique than some others (I can see them not wanting to lean heavily on Arrowette when they have Artemis)? It is unfortunate that characters like Jaime and Virgil really did fall so far off camera after the season 2 build-up.

Either way, despite the "Young Justice" name, the cartoon is all about the original Team members, so even though season 4 can tone down Conner's and M'gann's appearances, I doubt it'd happen, specially if they do a followup on Kara, because having a surviving Kryptonian around brainwashed into evil, and not having Conner at least interact with her would be odd.
    Yeah, at this point, we need the Team founders driving the stories, or at least being at the center of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I like Vandal Savage being so involved in those events, especially since he was a hero for so long.
    Yeah me to, it makes sense giving his age...I feel even if he wasn't some Agro, Narcissus I can't imagine how bored I'd be with life...it'll drive anybody insane
    It is unfortunate that characters like Jaime and Virgil really did fall so far off camera after the season 2 build-up.
    Yeah I wax enjoying the way the show was handling the cast....btw was that dude icon ever with the team before he was in the JL+Where DaFuq did Bumblebee go? And why was she such a B!tch to Malcolm Duncan?
    Yeah, at this point, we need the Team founders driving the stories, or at least being at the center of them.
    Do we? I feel like junior kids(Static, BB, LongShadow, Japanese chick, teleporting dude) were super interesting like a lot more than Tigress and KF

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Invasion was originally going to be ten episodes, and then was doubled to twenty. It was never going to be twenty-six episodes.
    Gah thank God for small favors... Anyone else find Invasion just a slooog to get through?? The black beetle was cool but ugh it just kinda sucked the life outta ya

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Billy's been around since season 1. When his real age as discovered, it was a big deal in the Justice League.
    Right!? Liiike... Hello Meghan!!
    Last edited by BroHomo; 06-16-2022 at 01:30 PM.
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

The covers and solicit for issue 3 of Targets are out a day early. It seems to be a Dick and Tim issue!

Has anyone read the first issue? It came out a couple of days ago.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

I was following the discussion. You answered What?! to Jackalope89's statement. Your original point got dropped along the way.

I do not think Young Justice has introduced Shazam (to avoid confusion, the wizard) and his helper (?) that could be something else we see if the Marvel family gets significant focus in the next season.
    They could also refer the Wizard by his title similar to the Child. They might lean into the name is power trope that's common in magic storytelling.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 06-16-2022 at 11:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    The covers and solicit for issue 3 of Targets are out a day early. It seems to be a Dick and Tim issue!

Well, good news is we get Tim with the Outsiders (and more Looker), bad news is we don't get to see him with his actual family and Steph.

Mist looks like Goth Ice there.

Also sounds like Perdita gets replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was following the discussion. You answered What?! to Jackalope89's statement. Your original point got dropped along the way

They could also refer the Wizard by his title similar to the Child. They might lean into the name is power trope that's common in magic storytelling.
    That’s not what I said.
    Billy has been referred to as Captain Marvel in the show.

Fantastic Member primenumber101's Avatar

Is that Starfire on the right bottom of the cover?

I'm not sure I seen her before but she looks like Starfire to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They're lucky Malefak is the only major villainous White Martian. If they were anything like in the comics in this series, the heroes would be utterly screwed.
    Was it ever given an explanation why white martians are mostly evil in the comics? 'Cause honestly, a race where its people are only good or evil are pretty boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I feel like the 'wisdom of Solomon' should make a Marvel totally immune to both brainwashing and the sort of crisis of confidence that Mary is experiencing. Her emotional self-sufficiency and perception should be as superhuman as her physical strength or ability to fly.
    I didn't even think about that, now Mary looks even worse lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Solomon wasn't exactly immune to making rash and stupid decisions either.
    He wasn't yeah, but it should've at least made Mary think "Wait a minute..." lol.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I find it hilarious that season 1 talks like Batman is the overly obsessive, emotionally abusive douchebag he may be in the comics, but as far as what's actually shown, he's actually really nice, friendly, and thinks about people's emotional wellbeing.

So it's completely hilarious that Dick doesn't wanna be like him, and Batman doesn't want Dick to become like him lol.

That's a good point, season 2 M'gann was scary.
    It's why her one fight against Black Beetle, had her hesitant all of a sudden because of what she learned from Kaldur'ahm, and she got knocked down in a second 'cause he shifted the density of that wall.

If she met Black Beetle first, she'd end him in seconds lol.

Her closure is close enough, although deceptive, which isn't off brand for the show.
    Problem is when it treats something like that as a good thing, but yeah, ain't off brand, the cartoon has a weird habit of rewarding characters for being assholes.

I don't want them re-opening Artemis' wounds or M'gann and Conner having marital problems.
    Yeah at this point it's better to forget about it, specially for M'gann and Conner stuff, since seasons 2 and 3 gave them relationship problems and it got annoying.

I like Vandal Savage being so involved in those events, especially since he was a hero for so long. Ra's Al Ghul has been relevant here and there, but he's no longer part of the Light, and I think it is important to see him again. As long as he doesn't work with the Light.
    I find it silly for him to be too involved with some stuff, specially him suddenly being butthurt because his army weren't... Miserable enough? So weird.

But yeah, Ra's could do more, hopefully not just "haha I brainwashed Jason".

Makes you wonder how they decide who they're using. Is it just because Beast Boy is so popular and well known in general?
    That's a possibility, even though his post season 2 personality has very little to do with the Teen Titans one, even more so in season 4 lol.

He is more unique than some others
    Power-wise, yes, the way they used him in season 4, not really, he's just some guy with depression over the many characters who died offscreen, so when he lists Jason, Ted, Elastic Woman, Chief, Negative Woman, his mother, Wally, Tula, it really doesn't have as much impact when most of those characters weren't shown to be alive (Jason, Ted, Doom Patrol's dead members), or their deaths weren't shown onscreen (Tula, his mother if you don't count the tie-in comics), or he wasn't really shown interacting with any of those characters... Yeah, it's a lot less impactful, and about anyone else could fill this "I'm so sad over people I never interacted with onscreen died" role.

Hell, season 4 at least was smart enough to give him interactions with Conner, 'cause they didn't actually interact before it either, and at least season 2 can give you the idea he was close to Wally because he also had the "souvenir!" habit, even though he wasn't shown reacting to Wally's death in the finale lol.

(I can see them not wanting to lean heavily on Arrowette when they have Artemis)?
    That didn't stop them from giving focus to two Roy Harpers back in season 2 lol.

And honestly, I think M'gann and Artemis in particular can fuck off for a bit, they are the most privileged characters when it comes to character development, all 4 seasons gave them something while some characters get scraps, it's specially noticeable in season 4, the season allegedly made to be slower paced for the sake of character development, and it was done, as long as you're not Zatanna, Kaldur'ahm, Rocket, Dick or Conner... Only M'gann and Artemis got noticeable character development among the characters on the title screen, and besides them, Garfield, Lor-Zod, Zod and Cassandra Cain got the most development, and Garfield's was the most invasive, I like to think that happened because M'gann's cells were giving him that privilege .

It is unfortunate that characters like Jaime and Virgil really did fall so far off camera after the season 2 build-up.
    I'd say it's less bad in Jaime's case, he's practically season 2's main character, so him getting less attention afterwards can be fine, Static though, all that build up, and getting a new design, and all he does in season 3 was whine about not having a girlfriend, and in season 4, all he does is join Jaime into being a really bad cheeleader for Garfield...

Problem is that the cartoon tries to be an ensemble, an ensemble with bad character focus when it actually tries to develop them, and at this point the writers are too used to sidelining characters like Kaldur'ahm, while giving some like M'gann and Garfield the most attention for me to actually expect that to be changed lol.

I don't particularly care if the focus is on the Team's original members or not, just, focus on something, whatever they're gonna do lol.

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post

That's Looker, she was that telepath brainwashed chick who tried to kill Donna back in season 3's episode 19, and she showed up here and there in season 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Was it ever given an explanation why white martians are mostly evil in the comics? 'Cause honestly, a race where its people are only good or evil are pretty boring.
    If I recall correctly it was some kind of genetic imbalance or how they evolved differently from the Green Martians.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by primenumber101 View Post

Nope.

That's Looker: https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/yo...20211111174600

Appeared initially in Outsiders as the brainwashed assassin that tried to kill Troia (and Halo) at the African summit, later boosted the Outsiders on social media and joined him during the timeskip. The picture above is from her appearance in Artemis' arc in Phantoms when she was asked to sub-in as psychic lie-detector in the absense of Miss Martian.

Fantastic Member

That’s not what I said.
    Billy has been referred to as Captain Marvel in the show.
    Only definitively in the first two seasons.

Outsiders was a little unclear on the point, IIRC the credits listed him as Shazam, but he was referenced in dialogue in Nevermore as one of "two Captains".

He's Shazam as of Phantoms though.

Bruh how did Tim end up being one of the most underdeveloped and underutilized characters in the show? He was basically the POV character in the first episode of S2 and even though he didn’t have a huge presence in the rest of the season, I can’t believe he hasn’t gotten any storylines in 2 seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If I recall correctly it was some kind of genetic imbalance or how they evolved differently from the Green Martians.
    So "made to be evil species", meh lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Bruh how did Tim end up being one of the most underdeveloped and underutilized characters in the show? He was basically the POV character in the first episode of S2 and even though he didn’t have a huge presence in the rest of the season, I can’t believe he hasn’t gotten any storylines in 2 seasons.
    Dick and Jaime are basically what screwed over Tim the most back in season 2, since Dick was shown to be mission control in the first episodes, but it didn't last once it was revealed that Kaldur'ahm only pretended to be evil, and that Artemis is pretending to be dead, so that made him become an active part of the plot once again, and then Jaime is basically the emotional center of the season, to the point you can say he's arguably the protagonist of it.

Not that having those two around means Tim can't get development, but it does lessen his chances of being relevant... He could get more to do if he was the one who discovered Jaime was brainwashed, but he was captured by Jaime himself... From what I hear, in the comics he's the best detective among the Robins, YJ does nothing to show that since whenever there's an investigation, Dick is the one doing it (And those hardly happen anyways, after Tim debuted, I only remember him doing so back in season 2 to find out Jaime is being controlled by the Reach, then another one in season 4 to find Conner).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    Only definitively in the first two seasons.
    I would say that’s good enough.