Page 23 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Justice

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Happy this arc is over. I found the story telling really messy, tough to follow, and unhappy we have the annoying witch boy back. I strongly preferred this new demon girl more.

However, far more unhappy the Beast Boy Drama Continues. (I don't recall him being that close to Conner. Me'gan yes, but Beast Boy?)

The three biggest pros I can give it were the villain, the Dr Fate Resolution, and I'm interested to see what's next for Mary. Overall though, far more cons than pros with this arc.

So Conner's Story is next? Whatever it takes to end this Beast Boy stuff.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-31-2021 at 09:31 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It seems like he also had Zatara pick up the slack for him and do Fate's job while he wasn't using the helmet. In doing so Zatara barely got to spend time with his family up until Sindella died, so it was almost like the 24/7 obligation that Fate is supposed to have.

I don't know if Kent was preparing Zatara like Zatanna was preparing her protege's, he evidentially never formally offered Giovanni the job, but it kind of felt like it in hindsight.
    IMO "Kent was preparing Giovanni" has a lot more currency as a deliberate conscious act than the idea that Zee was "preparing her protegees" for the the version of the plan that she ended up using, for the simple reason that Phantom Stranger strongly implies that she only had that specific idea consciously during the training exercise just before Child's arrival. Zee not denying it to Khalid would therefore more along the lines that she couldn't say that it wasn't a subconscious idea that she'd had before, and potentially that she had other riskier plans involving the trio's powers (potentially the body separation spell Khalid used against Child, possibly with a boost from Traci's luck power and energy channelled through Mary).

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Do we know the order of the arcs?
    Not entirely.

One of the writers appears to have confirmed in a tweet that a "Batfam" arc (therefore likely Nightwing centric) will be the "penultimate arc" of the season, which suggests that the running order will be either Rocket>Batfam/Nightwing>Aquafam/Kal'dur or Aquafam/Kaldur>Batfam/Nightwing>Rocket. There are decent arguments for either available, I don't have any strong feelings either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    IMO "Kent was preparing Giovanni" has a lot more currency as a deliberate conscious act than the idea that Zee was "preparing her protegees" for the the version of the plan that she ended up using, for the simple reason that Phantom Stranger strongly implies that she only had that specific idea consciously during the training exercise just before Child's arrival. Zee not denying it to Khalid would therefore more along the lines that she couldn't say that it wasn't a subconscious idea that she'd had before, and potentially that she had other riskier plans involving the trio's powers (potentially the body separation spell Khalid used against Child, possibly with a boost from Traci's luck power and energy channelled through Mary).
    Especially since Kent was doing it longer, but he also seemingly never actually offered the helm to Giovanni, maybe because he respected/cared about Giovanni and his family too much. And Sindella's death may also have thrown a wrench in it.

Although Zee's "not yet..." line about Khalid not being a doctor now, in hindsight, seems super shadey.

(Also, the show really could have done better by Sindella).

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    However, far more unhappy the Beast Boy Drama Continues. (I don't recall him being that close to Conner. Me'gan yes, but Beast Boy?)

So Conner's Story is next? Whatever it takes to end this Beast Boy stuff.
    So basically, all this Beast Boy bullshit we have had to sit through is going to be negated because they are going to save Conner?

I just can't....
    Geek / Gamer / Filmmaker / Indy Pro Wrestler
    @SebastionEnvi (Twitter/Instagram)
    youtube.com/SkunkLifeMedia

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    So basically, all this Beast Boy bullshit we have had to sit through is going to be negated because they are going to save Conner?

I just can't....
    We don't know that yet.

Honestly, I wish they approached this storyline with a little more nuance.

Most people who are depressed don't scream it (figuratively) with their actions. They get up and power through their day, putting on a mask to make it through the day. Gar's a freakin' superhero who has to make split second decisions and intense stressors. Plenty of ways to better convey it, IMO.

Instead, this feels like a twisted episode of Monk, where literally everyone can see what's happening, what the issue is, yet no one will say it out loud.

I assume even having something to focus on like Conner being alive won't negate how far Gar has let himself go or the damage he's done to his relationships/career.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Most people who are depressed don't scream it (figuratively) with their actions. They get up and power through their day, putting on a mask to make it through the day. Gar's a freakin' superhero who has to make split second decisions and intense stressors.
    I would argue he's been depressed since the start of the season between what happened to Brion and distancing himself from Perdita. Martian psychic attacks and Conner's death just made it way worse.

Instead, this feels like a twisted episode of Monk, where literally everyone can see what's happening, what the issue is, yet no one will say it out loud.
    Some would say that's just as realistic.
    My blog. Latest entry: November 5th, 2022

Hopefully, the next few episodes see the fallout of the Zatanna situation, it was morally grey at its finest, and we barely saw any of it. However, there are more significant implications to her arc.

I hope we get the six remaining members in one room to talk about Conner within the next four episodes. Maybe a reveal that Artemis seeing Wally was a ruse? Zatanna didn't get much during her arc, but there's a lot that can be done with her following it.

I think the writers missed a chance to bring all the OGs together in the first episode. It would've set the tone for the season and allowed the fallout to hit a lot harder. I didn't love how the last arc transpired, even if it was primarily entertaining, but there are fascinating hooks to continue in the second half.

Most excited to see what they do with Rocket and how they handle Kaldur between Atlantis, maybe Xebel, his father, and Waller/the Suicide Squad.

Fantastic Member

Especially since Kent was doing it longer, but he also seemingly never actually offered the helm to Giovanni, maybe because he respected/cared about Giovanni and his family too much. And Sindella's death may also have thrown a wrench in it.

Although Zee's "not yet..." line about Khalid not being a doctor now, in hindsight, seems super shadey.

(Also, the show really could have done better by Sindella).
    I could be wrong, but a) She's talking to a medical student, someone who will "become a doctor" in future, b) IIRC she said that after the moment that Phantom Stranger told us was when she had the idea, so doesn't undermine that anyway and c) Khalid is Doctor Fate in the comics, so it could have been mainly if not exclusively intended as meta commentary (similarly to Krypto being "taken" in s1, whereas no Krypto appears at any appropriate time later).

I could be wrong, but a) She's talking to a medical student, someone who will "become a doctor" in future, b) IIRC she said that after the moment that Phantom Stranger told us was when she had the idea, so doesn't undermine that anyway and c) Khalid is Doctor Fate in the comics, so it could have been mainly if not exclusively intended as meta commentary (similarly to Krypto being "taken" in s1, whereas no Krypto appears at any appropriate time later).
    I think we both know she wasn't referring to him becoming a medical doctor. She was planning on selling him as the next Dr. Fate along with Traci and Mary.

It’ll be interesting to see if we get The Metropolis Kid in some capacity or another.

I was definitely into this arc. The lore was amazing, the characters were likeable, and Child was one of the creepiest villains ever. I liked the Zatanna twist too, and I'm optimistic about how they're going to treat Mary. I think the Vandal Savage stuff towards the end didn't work for me that much, the slides and the weird voices, I felt like I was watching TV under water.

I did some quick math but forgot it...Zatara has definitely aged a lot as Dr. Fate. Superman's been around for like twenty years? All fine and good for him, I wonder if Batman has hit 50 yet. I wonder if Kent Nelson would have been Zatanna's legal guardian if he hadn't died?

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Quick question, was that Isis with Ice in that Cameo at the North Pole (if so, that probably means the YJ Debut of Adrianna Tomaz, and I've been wanting to see the Black Marvel family appear for some time).
    Was that Isis using an avatar or THE Isis? We saw Zatanna summon her during season 2, it would have been nice to see that connection explored. Maybe in future episodes.

If defeating Flaw was as simple as using Traci's bad luck magic on it...they're only realizing that now? Like I guess it made sense in context but it seemed like such a simple and easy solution to save until the very end when they maybe could have done it way earlier and avert tons of disasters.
    I thought that was clever, but also, you're right, it should have been thought of earlier or harder to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Fate sounds like a HUGE burden, if it were up to me I'd bury that helmet in a pocket dimension somewhere. No one deserves to "live" like that.
    The problem is Fate is needed to balance out the chaos every now and then, and you don't want that thing falling into the wrong hands, so you have to keep it close.

One of the writers appears to have confirmed in a tweet that a "Batfam" arc (therefore likely Nightwing centric) will be the "penultimate arc" of the season, which suggests that the running order will be either Rocket>Batfam/Nightwing>Aquafam/Kal'dur or Aquafam/Kaldur>Batfam/Nightwing>Rocket. There are decent arguments for either available, I don't have any strong feelings either way.
    How many more episodes total are we getting?

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post

I just can't....
    I get the feeling that Superboy returning won't snap Gar back. His death was just the straw that broke the camel's back. We've spent way too much with Garfield already that I'm hoping they do something really satisfying with the conclusion. Part of me wants him to actually commit suicide because of how shocking it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sCartoonMan View Post
    I was definitely into this arc. The lore was amazing, the characters were likeable, and Child was one of the creepiest villains ever. I liked the Zatanna twist too, and I'm optimistic about how they're going to treat Mary. I think the Vandal Savage stuff towards the end didn't work for me that much, the slides and the weird voices, I felt like I was watching TV under water.
    I like the lore and cast, but I feel like all the characters and focus on Savage/Klarion's backstory took away from character focus on Zatanna.

Personally I'm not digging this version of Mary but maybe they'll be able to redeem it.
    I did some quick math but forgot it...Zatara has definitely aged a lot as Dr. Fate. Superman's been around for like twenty years? All fine and good for him, I wonder if Batman has hit 50 yet. I wonder if Kent Nelson would have been Zatanna's legal guardian if he hadn't died?
    And the only character seemingly showing their age is Hal Jordan.

As close as Kent was to the family it would've made sense.
    Was that Isis using an avatar or THE Isis? We saw Zatanna summon her during season 2, it would have been nice to see that connection explored. Maybe in future episodes.
    Maybe Isis possessing Adriana Tomaz.

I wonder if Black Adam is back on Earth...
    How many more episodes total are we getting?

Extraordinary Member

To be fair to Zatanna, one week out of every month, is likely (given Fate's personality) the best deal any host of Fate has ever had and she didn't excuse herself or her dad from that duty.

Especially since the previous alternative for Fate hosts was "Wear the helmet 'til you drop."

I'm expecting a good bit of that to go to the Bat Family when its revealed that Jason is now alive (and apparently getting therapy from Sensei, of all people). I don't know about an adaptation of Under the Red Hood here, but something will go down. And can't forget about Damian, though whether or not he joins the Waynes is up in the air for this season.