Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Young Justice

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    These episodes are okay from a writing standpoint, but I can’t be the only one somewhat underwhelmed by the animation. Now I’m far from a weeaboo, but I do wish American animation took more cues from their Japanese counterparts in terms of the effort of giving really creative/dynamic action sequences with animation that looks like this.

American action animation always gives off such a cheap feeling to me. Not to say they aren’t cheap animation from Japan that cut corners in terms of animation, but it just seems this show just can’t shake off that cheap feel. The only western animated show right now without anime influence but rivals the quality of a good anime production is probably Primal on Adult Swim.
    If you want to see really cheap Superhero animation you should check out some of the Marvel cartoons in the past few years.

So far this season I'd say the animation has been pretty solid with the closest to one of the infamous season 3 slideshows being the flashback to the Outsiders taking on Kobra, and that was brief.

There really hasn't been much in the way of action so far.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If you want to see really cheap Superhero animation you should check out some of the Marvel cartoons in the past few years.

So far this season I'd say the animation has been pretty solid with the closest to one of the infamous season 3 slideshows being the flashback to the Outsiders taking on Kobra, and that was brief.

There really hasn't been much in the way of action so far.
    The animation I think has been fine, but my point is I think compared to some of the best anime has to offer it does seem a tad bit cheap, imo. That’s not to say it’s awful, and to be fair there’s anime that looks worse than Young Justice but I think on average the Japanese attempt a higher quality of animation than the West does. When has something on Young Justice ever looked as jawdroppingly good as this?

And I’m not even the world’s biggest anime fan, but man, when it comes action cartoons the Japanese have the Americans beat, generally speaking. Again, that’s not saying Young Justice’s animation is bad, but I just want a lot more creativity, and motion.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Incredible Member

I wonder if the planet Mars in the DC Universe has different skin tone aliens besides just Green and White since skin tones can vary depending on how far you travel away from the equator of a planet around it's sun.

The animation I think has been fine, but my point is I think compared to some of the best anime has to offer it does seem a tad bit cheap, imo. That’s not to say it’s awful, and to be fair there’s anime that looks worse than Young Justice but I think on average the Japanese attempt a higher quality of animation than the West does. When has something on Young Justice ever looked as jawdroppingly good as this?

And I’m not even the world’s biggest anime fan, but man, when it comes action cartoons the Japanese have the Americans beat, generally speaking. Again, that’s not saying Young Justice’s animation is bad, but I just want a lot more creativity, and motion.
    I mean, there have been some good fights on the show: The Heroes versus Mongul, Black Beetle, Despero, The team versus the League, etc.

The DC Animated DTV's have had some pretty great fights too.

Astonishing Member

I mean, there have been some good fights on the show: The Heroes versus Mongul, Black Beetle, Despero, The team versus the League, etc.

The DC Animated DTV's have had some pretty great fights too.
    None of the fights have impressed me terribly, not anyone near the level of the two vids I posted, imo. I don’t think the show is that badly animated, certainly has better animation compared to something like Invincible(most of the the time) but I always feel there’s a bit of a cheapness in the animation that it can’t shrug off. Of course, Marvel shows look worse but those shows are mostly just tie-in vehicles for the movies. I don’t have much expectation for them. And DTV animated stuff, especially the recent style doesn’t do much for me I’m sorry to say. I do think there is some good fights here and there like in the Justice Society movie, but none of them match the the heights of Sakuga for me.

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It took a month for bio ship to take Connor and Megan to Mars. Supes and John flying themselves there will not be optimal. There's no pitstops in space.
    Iono about Jonn but Superman has flown further faster. I get this show is its own thing but Superman is almost always depicted as being able to fly at the speed of light. Faster even at times. He could get to Mars rather quickly. Like minutes correct? I guess for the story though they want the team cut off. Just saying Superman sitting on his hands waiting for a transporter when he only needs to get to Mars. Don't know if it's correct but Google says its about 3mins to Mars at Speed of light.

None of the fights have impressed me terribly, not anyone near the level of the two vids I posted, imo. I don’t think the show is that badly animated, certainly has better animation compared to something like Invincible(most of the the time) but I always feel there’s a bit of a cheapness in the animation that it can’t shrug off. Of course, Marvel shows look worse but those shows are mostly just tie-in vehicles for the movies. I don’t have much expectation for them. And DTV animated stuff, especially the recent style doesn’t do much for me I’m sorry to say. I do think there is some good fights here and there like in the Justice Society movie, but none of them match the the heights of Sakuga for me.
    With Invincible, a lot of the non-fight scenes look more stilted and choppy at times but that's usually because they're saving the main effort for the fight scenes.

The only time I've really felt YJ looked "cheap" was last season with all the slideshows and at times when the animation looked a little choppier compared to normal, but so far I think this season looks fine. I don't need the fights to look and feel like an anime because it's a different aesthetic and design base to begin with, and I think they can be great fights in-spite of that.

Of course YJ is still running with the Bourassa-flavored designs while the current main DTV style is based off Ben Percy's designs. They're different but I think they work for what they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Iono about Jonn but Superman has flown further faster. I get this show is its own thing but Superman is almost always depicted as being able to fly at the speed of light. Faster even at times. He could get to Mars rather quickly. Like minutes correct? I guess for the story though they want the team cut off. Just saying Superman sitting on his hands waiting for a transporter when he only needs to get to Mars. Don't know if it's correct but Google says its about 3mins to Mars at Speed of light.
    I think YJ Superman is working under early Post-Crisis powerset so he's pretty scaled back by Superman standards.

Astonishing Member

With Invincible, a lot of the non-fight scenes look more stilted and choppy at times but that's usually because they're saving the main effort for the fight scenes.

The only time I've really felt YJ looked "cheap" was last season with all the slideshows and at times when the animation looked a little choppier compared to normal, but so far I think this season looks fine. I don't need the fights to look and feel like an anime because it's a different aesthetic and design base to begin with, and I think they can be great fights in-spite of that.
    That’s fair, and to be fair as I pointed out there’s anime that’s cheap looking as well. That being said, even with the different aesthetic I’m of the mindset the general animation for show is pretty standard and unimpressive compared to the best fights, but as you said YJ is not that action oriented. To use non-Anime examples, I think both Primal and the last season of Samurai Jack has much more creative and more interesting uses of animation compared to how static(I think anyone) the newer Young Justice seasons generally looks. Totally different aesthetics, but even so, within their own stylistic flavors, I never get the impression of them being cheap like I do with YJ. Feel free to disagree, of course. Just my view.

Of course YJ is still running with the Bourassa-flavored designs while the current main DTV style is based off Ben Percy's designs. They're different but I think they work for what they are.
    You know, honestly, agree to disagree. I think the animation took a downgrade after its move to streaming. I guess it’s a matter of taste but I really don’t care for the current DTV style for Long Halloween and others. They just look so stilted for my tastes. It’s a matter of preference, I guess.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-22-2021 at 06:51 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

That’s fair, and to be fair as I pointed out there’s anime that’s cheap looking as well. That being said, even with the different aesthetic I’m of the mindset the general animation for show is pretty standard and unimpressive compared to the best fights, but as you said YJ is not that action oriented. To use non-Anime examples, I think both Primal and the last season of Samurai Jack has much more creative and more interesting uses of animation compared to how static(I think anyone) the newer Young Justice seasons generally looks. Totally different aesthetics, but even so, within their own stylistic flavors, I never get the impression of them being cheap like I do with YJ. Feel free to disagree, of course. Just my view.
    I think it's as action-oriented as the average Superhero cartoon but it's also more in-depth on the story and character dynamics. I think a show like Samurai Jack lends itself more to style and creativity because of it's looser cartoony style while YJ is more concrete and solid (if that makes any sense). Like I'd more compare SJ to, say, Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    You know, honestly, agree to disagree. I think the animation took a downgrade after its move to streaming. I guess it’s a matter of taste but I really don’t care for the current DTV style for Long Halloween and others. They just look so stilted for my tastes. It’s a matter of preference, I guess.
    I like the very comic booky-style of the current DTV's, but to each their own .

Astonishing Member

I think it's as action-oriented as the average Superhero cartoon but it's also more in-depth on the story and character dynamics. I think a show like Samurai Jack lends itself more to style and creativity because of it's looser cartoony style while YJ is more concrete and solid (if that makes any sense). Like I'd more compare SJ to, say, Batman: The Brave and the Bold.
    That’s a fair point, but I do think Justice League Unlimited had some pretty good fight scenes as well, and it’s overall animation quality was far better than what you see on YJ. In fact I think most of the early DCAU looked better. Heck, despite it’s much more simplistic style I’d even go as far as to say Spectacular Spider-Man had better action animation than YJ.

I like the very comic booky-style of the current DTV's, but to each their own .
    That style resembles one of many comic book styles, yes I agree. It’s not awful or anything but it doesn’t look too inspired for myself in terms of realizing movement.

- Charles Schultz.

These episodes are okay from a writing standpoint, but I can’t be the only one somewhat underwhelmed by the animation. Now I’m far from a weeaboo, but I do wish American animation took more cues from their Japanese counterparts in terms of the effort of giving really creative/dynamic action sequences with animation that looks like this.

American action animation always gives off such a cheap feeling to me. Not to say they aren’t cheap animation from Japan that cut corners in terms of animation, but it just seems this show just can’t shake off that cheap feel. The only western animated show right now without anime influence but rivals the quality of a good anime production is probably Primal on Adult Swim.
    No I feel the exact same way, it's something I've been noticing a lot and it's starting to bother me a little.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    I quickly got tired of the South Park Kenny like ways she was dying in every episode. Im sure it wasn't every episode (dont remember much from the season) but just in the moment, I felt like killing her just became a lazy gag.
    That was absolutely the worst part of S3 it got old real fast.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

That’s a fair point, but I do think Justice League Unlimited had some pretty good fight scenes as well, and it’s overall animation quality was far better than what you see on YJ. In fact I think most of the early DCAU looked better. Heck, despite it’s much more simplistic style I’d even go as far as to say Spectacular Spider-Man had better action animation than YJ.
    I don't know if I'd say the animation quality is "better," I think sometimes with YJ it depended which studio did the episode (which is true for a lot of cartoons).

Spec had some of the best fights in the Superhero animation genre. I think part of that was the art style that was so stylized and simplified but also I think Victor Cook's direction. I think he brought a lot of that quality to Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters.
    That style resembles one of many comic book styles, yes I agree. It’s not awful or anything but it doesn’t look too inspired for myself in terms of realizing movement.
    I think it flows well enough but I've never really noticed the stiffness others have.

Astonishing Member

I don't know if I'd say the animation quality is "better," I think sometimes with YJ it depended which studio did the episode (which is true for a lot of cartoons).

Spec had some of the best fights in the Superhero animation genre. I think part of that was the art style that was so stylized and simplified but also I think Victor Cook's direction. I think he brought a lot of that quality to Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters.
    Fair points. I like Studio Mir’s work on the show the best. Their episodes I think did some decent work as far animation goes, imo.

I think it flows well enough but I've never really noticed the stiffness others have.
    Fair enough. We’ll agree to disagree on that.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 10-22-2021 at 10:25 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

I think YJ Superman is working under early Post-Crisis powerset so he's pretty scaled back by Superman standards.
    I don't recall a prominent era of Superman who wouldn't have been able fly FTL or close to it in the vacuum of space. Obviously the real answer is YJ is its own thing and they want this team cut off from everyone else. Still think maybe just don't show Superman waiting to travel to Mars when you coulda just not shown he's trying to get there. The idea Martian Manhunter or Superman would have difficult just flying to Mars seems silly to me. If they were in a different solar sytem I could see the issue obviously for these more tame versions if the character. Defeintly way over thinking it but just something that bugged me. Clark is worried about maybe missing the wedding when almost any version of the character could get to mars in no time.