Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was by far the best Rebirth book in my opinion. If felt like a return to form for the Green Lantern franchise and a great continuation of what Johns did and Johns' Green Lantern world-building.
    Last edited by KC; 09-03-2019 at 05:11 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Rucka's Wonder Woman was my favorite. More so the Year One and Godwatch arcs. it quickly turned to **** after he left, but rebounded a bit with Wilson. Though her writing has dragged in places and she's been let down by the art. I think Orlando will be better suited for the title.

Even though it's later in the game, Morrison's GL is one of my favorite books each month. As well as Shazam by Johns, but of course that looks to be changing sadly.

Priest on Deathstroke, though I'm only caught up to volumes 1-4 of the trades. I'd love to have Priest on Nightwing and/or the Titans.

Seeley on Nightwing was great, even if he clearly didn't love the Bludhaven status quo. Those were the weaker arcs, but his more Morrison/Grayson style arcs were great. The character sorely missed him.

I'm in the minority I know, but I loved Orlando's Supergirl. It was the only Super book I was reading in Rebirth because the Superman stuff gave me a headache and this one had all the cool All-Star shout outs. It was let down by crappy art in the beginning though.

If they count, the Young Animal, Sandman and Wildstorm lines are great as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Lobdell is still on Red Hood.
    The Universe will end and Civilisation will crumble long before Lobdell is off Red Hood
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Great:

- Superman (Superfamily)
    - RHATO (Jason, Dick, Bruce moments. Artemis and Bizarro get interesting stories as well)
    - Aquaman (basically one mega story by Abnett, though he clearly got the short end of the stick towards the end of his run. It feels rushed towards the end)
    - SuperSons (Damian and Jon teamin up, what's not to love?)
    - New Super-Man (Made in China. No seriously, I'd sum up in three words like that. It's Superman with no continuity baggage).
    - Nightwing by Seeley
    - Deathstroke

One of the worst:

- Batman (King didn't, doesn't and probably won't understand Batman any time soon).
    - 'Tec. Tynion's Tec, starring Batman! Sometimes!
    - JL (Hitch was not the right choice....)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Aquaman was the best of the best for me, throughout Rebirth.

Superman was prolly the worst. Unreadable until Bendis came on.
    That's some fine bait.

best?

Deathstrokehas been consistently great, Priest is a master of his craft and I don't care how much I gotta say it. after not really liking the way Williamson was writing him for a while, Priest took Wallace from a character I wanted to like but didn't to a character I'm always looking out for what they're doing.

the Aquaman title has been consistently phenomenal since rebirth, the Corum Rath storyline ran a little long (I actually fell off for a bit) but even that was amazingly done for the most part. I would say this and Deathstroke interchange as the top 2 Rebirth titles for me. consistency my friends.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was good, great even at time, but honestly i feel the only thing that was really the "best" about that book is the art. Green Lanterns was honestly the better Lantern book of the two in the Rebirth era for me, the character work on that title consistently put it in better standing for me but the art is often not as good as Hal&Pals.

New Super-man is one of DC's biggest hidden gems of the Rebirth era, easily the best new character driven vehicle of that time and of the last decade at DC. I mean Naomi has had a stronger start and could take that title down the line but, then again, I guess that would be a different decade by then. regardless, this is a best.

Red Hood and the Outlaws was great for the entirety of his Rebirth run. it doesn't really take a drip in quality until the cast shake-up and Red Hood goes solo but even then it's still good and it gets better.

worst?

iunno, I usually don't go out of my way to mess with any books I don't care for so I'm not sure what I would consider the "worst"

probably Trinity for me, I read a couple issues and both times it wasn't interesting to me and I can't remember a thing from it. I remember Batman/Wonder Woman's team-up more than Trinity. I felt like it was a weak book that only exists for no other reason than it's the trinity, which I don't care for an it's own.

not a full title but the finale of Green Lanterns still leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. it was easily the worst finale for me. how do you have a finale where the main characters of the book aren't the central heroes of the finale?

Justice League was largely unremarkable (except Priest's little story, I liked that arc) and that is the worst thing a Justice League title can be.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-05-2019 at 07:33 AM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by G-Man27 View Post
    I think Dark Jacket means Meena, the female speedster that Godspeed "killed" earlier in the book, though if I recall correctly she was later revealed to still be alive and an agent of Black Hole.
    Okay first, who would call a crime organization "Black Hole" in the new10's ? Second, why did she turn evil ? Was there an explanation ?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    best?

Deathstrokehas been consistently great, Priest is a master of his craft and I don't care how much I gotta say it. after not really liking the way Williamson was writing him for a while, Priest took Wallace from a character I wanted to like but didn't to a character I'm always looking out for what they're doing.

the Aquaman title has been consistently phenomenal since rebirth, the Corum Rath storyline ran a little long (I actually fell off for a bit) but even that was amazingly done for the most part. I would say this and Deathstroke interchange as the top 2 Rebirth titles for me. consistency my friends.

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps was good, great even at time, but honestly i feel the only thing that was really the "best" about that book is the art. Green Lanterns was honestly the better Lantern book of the two in the Rebirth era for me, the character work on that title consistently put it in better standing for me but the art is often not as good as Hal&Pals.

New Super-man is one of DC's biggest hidden gems of the Rebirth era, easily the best new character driven vehicle of that time and of the last decade at DC. I mean Naomi has had a stronger start and could take that title down the line but, then again, I guess that would be a different decade by then. regardless, this is a best.

Red Hood and the Outlaws was great for the entirety of his Rebirth run. it doesn't really take a drip in quality until the cast shake-up and Red Hood goes solo but even then it's still good and it gets better.

worst?

iunno, I usually don't go out of my way to mess with any books I don't care for so I'm not sure what I would consider the "worst"

probably Trinity for me, I read a couple issues and both times it wasn't interesting to me and I can't remember a thing from it. I remember Batman/Wonder Woman's team-up more than Trinity. I felt like it was a weak book that only exists for no other reason than it's the trinity, which I don't care for an it's own.

not a full title but the finale of Green Lanterns still leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. it was easily the worst finale for me. how do you have a finale where the main characters of the book aren't the central heroes of the finale?

Justice League was largely unremarkable (except Priest's little story, I liked that arc) and that is the worst thing a Justice League title can be.
    I didn't like how Jurgens turned Green Lanterns into a second Hal title, either. Everything on Green Lanterns after Humphries left is very forgettable.

I honestly can't think of anything from original Rebirth that I absolutely loved (I really only consider Rebirth to be everything before Action #1000. Bendis' arrival signaled a shift not only for Superman but that trickled down as he gained influence). There's probably some great things I missed because they weren't regulars on my radar, but everything that I'm mostly a fan of got sucked into a black hole and died with Rebirth. In the current era, I still think Action Comics is pretty good but its spinning its wheels a little bit. We need to get to that mob war. Superman started out really fun too but fell off a cliff after Jon came back into the picture. I have some hope for Wonder Woman once Orlando takes over. Young Justice is fun too.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-06-2019 at 03:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    Okay first, who would call a crime organization "Black Hole" in the new10's ? Second, why did she turn evil ? Was there an explanation ?
    I believe she ended up trapped in the speed force and was rescued by Black Hole. Gorrila Grodd was the leader of Black Hole and was subtly influencing Meena's mind while giving her the promise of researching the speed force further and getting back at Barry for not saving her (he thought Godspeed killed her).

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I loved most of Rebirth but with that said.

Best: (in order, mostly)

Hal Jordan: Great fun superhero comic with amazing art, high flying action and great characterzation.

Action Comics : Dan Jurgens is one of my favorite writers and my favorite Superman writer. He did not disappoint.

Deathstroke : A little different then the traditional super hero comic but still brilliantly written. Unfortunately it did drop off when the whole Defiance arc happened so I dropped it.

Detective Comics : The first arc was fantastic and once Tim came back it was also really solid. But that whole middle part was pretty bad.

New Superman : Fresh and fun this comic was great for the first 10-15 issues. But it kind of lost it's way after that and just meandered.

Worst:

Batman by Tom King: Pretentious, convoluted, non sensenical, terrible dialogue, bad characterization, slow as molasses, ect. ect.

Superwoman : Just all over the place and a mess.

Supergirl: very, very mediocore with terrible art.

Trinity: A lot of potential but mostly boring. It did pick up a bit with the last or so story arcs.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Best:

Superman - A much needed course correction that brought the character back to his core portrayal along with the strong family dynamics providing many emotional payoffs. This was the Superman that I'd been missing since the start of the New 52.

Action Comics - Not always the best Superman title compared with Tomasi and Gleason's Superman but still provided some solid stories and world building for the new Superman status quo.

Super Sons - One of the most joyful, fun and entertaining comics published by the Big Two in years. Jon and Damian's partnership flourishing into friendship was a pleasure to watch develop. It's a shame the series was hijacked after Bendis took over the Superman line.

New Super-Man - A fresh, innovative approach at retelling the Hero's Journey narrative. Kenan's growth and development coupled with the unique Asian identity of the book made it a standout despite low sales.

Supergirl - Honestly I quite liked what Orlando did with Supergirl even if it was a little too close to the TV show at times. It's far better than Andreyeko's currently miserable run on Supergirl.

Deathstroke - Probably the most consistently well written comic to come out of Rebirth that managed to keep its writer all the way to the series' conclusion. I look forward to seeing how Priest will wrap his run up.

Hal Jordan & The GLC - Venditti's Rebirth run felt like it stepped out of the shadow of Johns' run a lot more than his New 52 run did. A solid mix of emotional spectrum stories with other sci-fi tales as well.

Worst:

Batman - Whilst King may have started strong, the rest of his run has been frustrating, depressing and highly controversial. It's this series where King's weaknesses and limitations as a writer can be clearly seen. I'm also not a fan of King's writing style any longer.

Justice League - Hitch's run was bland, forgettable and painfully average.

Flash - I tried the first trade arc but I couldn't get into Williamson's portrayal of Barry or his efforts to expand the Speed Force mythology.

Cyborg - I'm told Cyborg was really bad by some friends who read it so that's why it's on my list.
    Last edited by Lvenger; 09-08-2019 at 06:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Modamy View Post
    I believe she ended up trapped in the speed force and was rescued by Black Hole. Gorrila Grodd was the leader of Black Hole and was subtly influencing Meena's mind while giving her the promise of researching the speed force further and getting back at Barry for not saving her (he thought Godspeed killed her).
    That's so 90's... and ruined a great character...

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    That's so 90's... and ruined a great character...
    She got better.