Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Direction for Conner (NOT Powers, but the rest)

Hello,

I wanted to ask whats your idea of Conner is (NOT!! the powers, but more like personality etc.)

My ideal approach for him was always:

Make the Nightwing of the Super-Family out of him.
    Make him older than 21, let him be together with Cassie again, move in a town on his own.
    Use a new Code-Name which isnt -lad, -boy, -kid etc. Just like Nightwing did.

I like the idea that he is a kind of modern approach to Superman, with a bad boy charme, leather jacket, maybe also the S Tattoo of the Titans Series.

I really LOVE the idea that he is a hero, but has also friends who wouldnt talk with Superman,Flash or so...
    Like Lobo (both like Heavy Metal),Bronze Tiger,John Constantine....

Maybe trough Cassie he can also befriend Artemis,Grace Choi (both are Amazons and Artemis trained Cassie).

I would LOVE to see him as character with charme and making movie references etc. like Shawn in the TV Series "Psych", Charlie Harper...
    So be a hero, but also keep this bad boy charme with lots of jokes, also adult Jokes...

It would be cool to see him in really different team-ups, not only YJ, but also with John Constantine, Lobo, Bronze Tiger, Jason Todd-Artemis-Bizarro..

Astonishing Member

I'd make Conner the least intellectual of the Superfamily. NOT stupid, just likely to get impatient when Steel, Clark or Kara goes into technical detail.

He'd be the most gung-ho of the team. Again not to a stupid extreme where he ignores warning signs, but he'd want to be the first guy in/ last out. And if there is no other viable option, he'd be the guy most willing to go on the suicide mission.

His memories are more recent as a clone, so he's also missing a lot of cultural references that are more than 3-5 years old. Not everything as he has watched some "old" TV/movies or listened to music, but he might have no idea about context or "you had to be there moments.

He's not as set in his views. Where Clark or Kara and even Jon have developed their world view over more than a decade, Conner doesn't have that much to ground his beliefs. So he's more open to Booster's materialistic approach, or seeing some logic in Jason Todd's attitude on crimefighting, or less likely to trust Batman's leadership based on history.

Make him older than 21, let him be together with Cassie again, move in a town on his own.
    Use a new Code-Name which isnt -lad, -boy, -kid etc. Just like Nightwing did.
    I am a fan of both of those, but his peers must grow up with him. No one-character-ages-another-doesn't. So Cassie, yes, but Bart, Tim, etc. must also get older. They need to get all the ages firmly nailed down again. Since N52 ones didn't seem to stick into rebirth, with Damian aging but Tim and his crew not (or not as much) and I'm not even sure whether Dick, Jason, Roy, etc. aged or not when Damian did.

I really LOVE the idea that he is a hero, but has also friends who wouldnt talk with Superman,Flash or so...
    Like Lobo (both like Heavy Metal),Bronze Tiger,John Constantine....
    That works less for me. Kon may have the bad boy look, but he is not a bad boy, and should not be. Nor should he be any more amenable to hanging out with mass murderers like Lobo than others (who also should not be doing so).

I'd make Conner the least intellectual of the Superfamily. NOT stupid, just likely to get impatient when Steel, Clark or Kara goes into technical detail.
    That works. I have something of a love for the idea of him being an architect eventually. Because of his designs and upgrades/rebuilds of the compound back in the 1990s. ;p Anyway, he will need a job of some sort if he isn't living on endorsement money.

His memories are more recent as a clone, so he's also missing a lot of cultural references that are more than 3-5 years old. Not everything as he has watched some "old" TV/movies or listened to music, but he might have no idea about context or "you had to be there moments.
    That doesn't work for me - I like all that being in his head, as it was originally (and was specifically addressed in early issues).

He's not as set in his views. Where Clark or Kara and even Jon have developed their world view over more than a decade, Conner doesn't have that much to ground his beliefs. So he's more open to Booster's materialistic approach, or seeing some logic in Jason Todd's attitude on crimefighting, or less likely to trust Batman's leadership based on history.
    Materialistic, maybe. He did that when he was younger - I think he should have grown past it by now, but I'm certainly open to negotiation on it. But not Jason Todd on crimefighting. Superboy, Cissie, and that arrow that he gave back - that scene, so phenomenal. I don't want that part of him lost. I agree he has no real reason to especially trust Batman's leadership.

EDIT: So cool I had to post it
    20.jpg
    21.jpg
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-30-2019 at 11:00 AM.

On the subject of Connor's code name, how about Power Boy? Let him work with Power Girl a little to establish that he might want to honor her, and he could do it in such a way that he's stepping aside and letting Jon have the name, because he feels like Jon deserves it more than he does. Just because he's Kal's real son.

I'd probably adapt Superlad93's Agent KR pitch. It centers on Connor working with a reformed Cadmus as a security agent. It's a riff on the first job struggles in college.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    On the subject of Connor's code name, how about Power Boy? Let him work with Power Girl a little to establish that he might want to honor her, and he could do it in such a way that he's stepping aside and letting Jon have the name, because he feels like Jon deserves it more than he does. Just because he's Kal's real son.
    ABSOLUTELY NO!

1. He is the REAL! Superboy..He should give it up, because he is to OLD,to MATURE etc. for it....Having grown out of the role.
    2. He deserves it more than Jon, Jon has NOTHING done which would make a Hero out of him, Conner saved the world during IC, fought Doomsday,Brainiac....
    3. Nothing with -boy,-lad,-kid...

Something like Steel Eagle, Steel-Hammer would be nice....Flamebird would also work perfectly...
    It should be ABSOLUTELY!!!! be a code-name which he can keep FOREVER!
    Just like Nightwing, NO -boy,-kid,-lad....he has outgrown that all and should get a mature code-name which he can keep forever.

Kon should be the Version of Supermans Nightwing, the one who the others look up to..Superman successor...the one who started the Superboy Franchise etc. etc.
    Last edited by Masterff; 08-30-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post

He'd be the most gung-ho of the team. Again not to a stupid extreme where he ignores warning signs, but he'd want to be the first guy in/ last out. And if there is no other viable option, he'd be the guy most willing to go on the suicide mission.

Sorry, but NO!

Conner should have CLEARLY have his Pre-Flashpoint History back, which makes him (theoretically) MUCH!! older than Jonathan, BUT NEW52-Flashpoint made him younger, just like Wally,Bart,Tim...are also younger than before. So he is clearly the one who is more mature and introduces Jonathan to music,films etc.
    The pop-cultural references was always a HUGE part of his charme and personality and it would be a CRUCIAL mistake to take it away.

Here this!! https://twitter.com/bookofmetallica/...05897683075072 Superboy and Superman speaking about METALLICA..
    And also in YJ Bart makes a lot of of pop-cultural references like Harry Potter.

Conner clearly has more to ground his beliefs given his YJ and TT time and also his Solo-Runs.
    This with the materialistic approach etc. LAYS BEHIND HIM (he had a manager in his Solo-Run etc.).

So he should be more like Dick, mature and able to be the next leader of the JL and Clarks Crown-Prince.

I also see Conner as becoming more powerful than Clark,Kara and Jon...Since he was genetically engineered and also his human side was technically altered to be able to absorb sunlight and given that he had TTK with which he can use to increase his strenght.
    Last edited by Masterff; 08-30-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I am a fan of both of those, but his peers must grow up with him. No one-character-ages-another-doesn't. So Cassie, yes, but Bart, Tim, etc. must also get older. They need to get all the ages firmly nailed down again. Since N52 ones didn't seem to stick into rebirth, with Damian aging but Tim and his crew not (or not as much) and I'm not even sure whether Dick, Jason, Roy, etc. aged or not when Damian did.

That works less for me. Kon may have the bad boy look, but he is not a bad boy, and should not be. Nor should he be any more amenable to hanging out with mass murderers like Lobo than others (who also should not be doing so).

That works. I have something of a love for the idea of him being an architect eventually. Because of his designs and upgrades/rebuilds of the compound back in the 1990s. ;p Anyway, he will need a job of some sort if he isn't living on endorsement money.

That doesn't work for me - I like all that being in his head, as it was originally (and was specifically addressed in early issues).

Materialistic, maybe. He did that when he was younger - I think he should have grown past it by now, but I'm certainly open to negotiation on it. But not Jason Todd on crimefighting. Superboy, Cissie, and that arrow that he gave back - that scene, so phenomenal. I don't want that part of him lost. I agree he has no real reason to especially trust Batman's leadership.

EDIT: So cool I had to post it
    20.jpg
    21.jpg
    I didnt talk about him being a bad boy....BUT! I like the idea that he also has friends who wouldnt hang around with Clark.
    So NOT being evil, BUT drinking with Lobo, listening to Heavy Metal....

I see him as the one who is respected by heros and anti-heroes.
    So I also like the idea that he has the phone-number of Jason Todd, meets with him in a bar or so.
    So not being bad, but having unlikely friends with whom he might team-up in kind of danger or so.

I also dont see the materialistic approach...This is ALL BEHIND him...he had the manager etc.

It should also be the approach to go FORWARD and NOT GO BACK...
    Like Nightwing, he also moved on from Robin to Nightwing, became more mature and older etc.
    Last edited by Masterff; 08-30-2019 at 10:11 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'd probably adapt Superlad93's Agent KR pitch. It centers on Connor working with a reformed Cadmus as a security agent. It's a riff on the first job struggles in college.
    Rather Argus than Cadmus...
    I would like to see him as Leader of Argus later, since he has seen the mistakes of the JL.

It would be AWESOME to see SUPERMAN in JL and CONNER as head of ARGUS.

THIS would actually be cool to have them working for Justice, BUT!! both in other teams, having different viewpoints...
    I would LOVE!! to see Conner talking with Clark, reminding him of the Mistakes of the JL, their arrogance etc.

Mighty Member

Conner should DEFINETELY be (technically) older than Jonathan like Wally West is older than Wallace West.

There is no point in having Jonathan and Conner at the same age, also given that Conners Time in YJ,TT and his Solo-Run was surely more important than Jonathans history so far.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

My only concern with this is it relegates Terra (Atlee) even further backseat and she's great fun as Power Girl's sidekick.

I think Conner should lean back into his youth and become something of a social media darling, maybe become famous for a podcast about his life as a superhero, an instagram star. Establish himself as the voice of the 16-24 demographic as a counterpoint to America's Sweetheart Stargirl. Get a young, fresh writer and-- if possible-- Gabriel Picolo to draw it.

Rebuild a supporting cast, either a new love interest or bring Cassie into that role and actually have them make it work. The way people look up to Clark and see inspiration, hope and positivity, I think Conner should exude the Content Creator lifestyle of "young, successful and loving it." He's been all angst for way too long and it makes him seem so goddamn boring. There's enough brooding in the Bat Family. If anything, Power Girl's probably got it the worst and even she finds time to have fun. Conner needs to retain a funner edge to him if he's going to really make a mark on people.

My pitch is more in line with his original appearance and recent Reign of the Supermen animated movie, but I do think that's a good angle for Conner.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    My only concern with this is it relegates Terra (Atlee) even further backseat and she's great fun as Power Girl's sidekick.

I think Conner should lean back into his youth and become something of a social media darling, maybe become famous for a podcast about his life as a superhero, an instagram star. Establish himself as the voice of the 16-24 demographic as a counterpoint to America's Sweetheart Stargirl. Get a young, fresh writer and-- if possible-- Gabriel Picolo to draw it.

Rebuild a supporting cast, either a new love interest or bring Cassie into that role and actually have them make it work. The way people look up to Clark and see inspiration, hope and positivity, I think Conner should exude the Content Creator lifestyle of "young, successful and loving it." He's been all angst for way too long and it makes him seem so goddamn boring. There's enough brooding in the Bat Family. If anything, Power Girl's probably got it the worst and even she finds time to have fun. Conner needs to retain a funner edge to him if he's going to really make a mark on people.

My pitch is more in line with his original appearance and recent Reign of the Supermen animated movie, but I do think that's a good angle for Conner.
    Some ideas are nice, others DONT...

The voice of the demographic 16-30 is cool.
    I also see him in that role, BUT he should base it on interviews who he gives in TV,to Newspapers etc.
    I clearly see him on "Friday for Future", supporting LGBT rights etc. part of demonstrations etc.
    Also wearing patches on his Leather-Jacket etc.

BUT!! the Social Media Idea is HORRIBLE, that is Jonathan Samuel Kents Role.
    It would make him look like a childish Super-Hero....

Conner is a Super-Hero of the 90ies and this should also influence his mindset, behaviour etc.
    Conner should be the one who makes fun of this Social Media Kids etc.
    The Social Media Stuff is stuff for BART (IMPULSE), BEAST BOY, JONATHAN SAMUEL KENT, DAMIAN (who searches a lot on Twitter about himself).

This Instagram stuff would COMPLETELY RUINATE his character...Conner with the leather jacket etc. is clearly 90ies based Super-Hero and he SHOULDNT be changed into this generation.
    For Conner is CRUCIAL to keep him as 90ies style character, leather jacket etc.
    Listening to Heavy Metal,Hard Rock,Punk...keep his leather jacket,talking about pop-cultural references about this time etc. etc.

This 90ies charme was,is and will always be part of his charme and I also LOVE it, because it gives me nostalgic feelings.
    He should LOVE it to be a Super-Hero, BUT also having a serious side like Nightwing and being respected by the other heroes.

Bringing Cassie back as his Love-Interest is great, I would even go further and let them marry like YJ Superboy with Miss Martian.
    I LOVE the idea of Cassie and Conner buying a house with 2 floors and they live in upper floor and Bart lives with Joan and Jay Garrick in the first floor.

I liked Reign of Supermen Conner, BUT!!! only because I knew that we have an alternate Comic Conner...
    He is way to young, Conner should be now about 21 years old and he should be more respected by other Super-Heroes AND! I HATED the Social Media Stuff and the Outfit.

Oh and dont use names like -kid,-boy,-lad....as Code-Names.

No. He should not be choosing a name with "Boy" in it at this point - it was always a transitional name, to me. Something he used before he grew into his own. And this would be one transitional name to another. Jon doesn't deserve the Superboy name anymore than Kon does, either.

Frankly, it shouldn't have been used for Power Girl, either. I know there's a long history of grown women being called "girl" but she didn't appear (as a separate person from Earth-One Supergirl) until 1976, and things were changing by then. Both DC and Marvel had to make excuses for Batgirl and the Invisible Girl not changing to "woman" around that time. I get that they had name-recognition as they were, but a whole new hero created at time should have avoided using "girl."

BUT!! the Social Media Idea is HORRIBLE, that is Jonathan Samuel Kents Role.
    It would make him look like a childish Super-Hero....

Conner is a Super-Hero of the 90ies and this should also influence his mindset, behaviour etc.
    Conner should be the one who makes fun of this Social Media Kids etc.
    The Social Media Stuff is stuff for BART (IMPULSE), BEAST BOY, JONATHAN SAMUEL KENT, DAMIAN (who searches a lot on Twitter about himself).

This Instagram stuff would COMPLETELY RUINATE his character...Conner with the leather jacket etc. is clearly 90ies based Super-Hero and he SHOULDNT be changed into this generation.
    For Conner is CRUCIAL to keep him as 90ies style character, leather jacket etc.
    Listening to Heavy Metal,Hard Rock,Punk...keep his leather jacket,talking about pop-cultural references about this time etc. etc.

This 90ies charme was,is and will always be part of his charme and I also LOVE it, because it gives me nostalgic feelings.
    He should LOVE it to be a Super-Hero, BUT also having a serious side like Nightwing and being respected by the other heroes.
    Time slide makes this untenable to me. He was a contemporary hero at the time of his creation, and should remain so. He should not be a '90s Superhero created in 2014 (and that date will only get later as time marches on) - that would make him a dork, not cool like he was perceived at the time. You seem to want him stuck in the 1990s forever - that does not work to me, and will make him a joke (or at least a comedic character). The whole point was that he was a Superboy for "today" when he was created. There would be no reason for him to created/cloned as a '90s guy 20 years later. He can fall behind the times - any person can - but he wouldn't be that way when made.

Also, IRL, I'm less than 5 years younger than Kon would be if 15 in 1993 (when he debuted) and most my age use social media.

I LOVE the idea of Cassie and Conner buying a house with 2 floors and they live in upper floor and Bart lives with Joan and Jay Garrick in the first floor.
    If Kon's grown, then Bart should be, too. And I much prefer him with Max and Helen as to kid than to with Jay and Joan, anyway. He should be living with Carol by now, anyway, but I seriously doubt we'll ever see her again.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-31-2019 at 05:42 AM.

Branding a character with a new name is challenging. I'm not hearing many suggestions of names that I think would stick and be popular.
    Flamebird is interesting because of it's significance to Superman history, but I don't know if it's catchy enough, and you'd get constant questions from people about why he has the name when he doesn't have fire powers.

you'd get constant questions from people about why he has the name when he doesn't have fire powers.
    Ah, Speedy.

I'm not hearing many suggestions of names that I think would stick and be popular.
    One thing, I think, it just that it needs to sound pretty cool and come with a decent new costume to be popular. Nightwing doesn't really mean anything - doesn't evoke any particular image on its own. It has a silver age connection, but I'd expect many reading at the time would not have known that, or read those stories (maybe the bronze age ones, though). Fans make fun of the first costume today. But it worked.