Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Branding a character with a new name is challenging. I'm not hearing many suggestions of names that I think would stick and be popular.
    Flamebird is interesting because of it's significance to Superman history, but I don't know if it's catchy enough, and you'd get constant questions from people about why he has the name when he doesn't have fire powers.
    1. HEAT VISION!!
    2. He gets Powers from the SUN!!
    3. He came back from the death like a Phoenix..

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Time slide makes this untenable to me. He was a contemporary hero at the time of his creation, and should remain so. He should not be a '90s Superhero created in 2014 (and that date will only get later as time marches on) - that would make him a dork, not cool like he was perceived at the time. You seem to want him stuck in the 1990s forever - that does not work to me, and will make him a joke (or at least a comedic character). The whole point was that he was a Superboy for "today" when he was created. There would be no reason for him to created/cloned as a '90s guy 20 years later. He can fall behind the times - any person can - but he wouldn't be that way when made.

Also, IRL, I'm less than 5 years younger than Kon would be if 15 in 1993 (when he debuted) and most my age use social media.
    I dont know how do you get 2014:
    1. IRL Time ISNT Comic Time
    2. We have now the Situation that because of NEW52 ALL characters lost 10 Years, best seen by Wally.

This means Conner is theoretically already OLDER THAN 30, BUT because of Rebirth,NEW52 he also lost 10 years somehow.

It will also not make a joke out of him...Take simply LOBO...
    I see Lobo and Conner just as two ANACHRONISTIC characters who get their charme just by being them..
    It would be MUCH WORSE if you try to modernize Conner...he would be like ALL the others a boring SOCIAL MEDIA Super-Hero like many others to.

I also dont understand what you mean by being stuck in the 1990...I mean do for example NIGHTWING use Instagram all the time?
    There are many Biker,Heavy Metal Fans etc. who wear Leather-Jackets etc.

Besides we are talking about SUPERHEROES and if you look at SUPERMAN...
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11...he-never-will/
    I mean even Jonathan Samuel Kent, Supermans own son made fun of the Costume of his dad.

I dont see him as being stuck in the 1990...I rather see him just as cool guy who is wearing Leather Jacket, listening to Heavy Metal,Punk,Hard-Rock...
    I always thougt also that it would be cool to let him also have a Harley in his free-time..
    This is Clark in NEW52, but I like the picture it seems fitting for Conner
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...n-the-1664651/ (the one with the Bike)

He can use Facebook under his real name AND also use a TT Computer to run a Facebook Site under his Code-Name.
    But NOT changing his costume,becoming one of this SELFIE-CLOWNS, Selfie-Stick etc.

I always liked Conner because he seemed to have the same taste in music like I have, wearing clothes which I also wear (to a certain extend)...
    I LOVE that he is like Lobo the kind of edgy character who isnt interested what people think about him...

Its rather Jonathan Samuel Kent who I find HORRIBLE, because he just seems to be a Rip-off of his dad.
    And I find his costume outdated, because for his dad is ok, because he is the icon, designed with this costume, but I find that Capes are outdated for NEWLY created Heroes.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

YOUNG SUPERMAN

Conner battles weird science and corporate evil. Let him actually get his hands dirty and make direct changes. He helps stabilize rent, he throws abusive spouses around, says off the cuff remarks on the news. He's for unions, and the working class. Just don't call him "Superboy", he's Superman....also. So in the media he's dubbed YOUNG SUPERMAN and despite being hated by the mainstream, he's still an internet sensation and impossible to ignore.

He wears his leather jacket. He's youth in revolt and he's here to help and here to stay! Tana Moon, Beppo the Super monkey, Dan Turpin, Infinity Man and the Forever People, Wonder Girl, Dick Grayson, etc.

Conner battles weird science and corporate evil. Let him actually get his hands dirty and make direct changes. He helps stabilize rent, he throws abusive spouses around, says off the cuff remarks on the news. He's for unions, and the working class. Just don't call him "Superboy", he's Superman....also. So in the media he's dubbed YOUNG SUPERMAN and despite being hated by the mainstream, he's still an internet sensation and impossible to ignore.
    All the social consciousness just isn't very Kon to me. Not the personality he ever had or really what I'd want him to be - that's just a whole new character (or, more accurately, Clark's original character, and I don't want Kon to be like Clark and would rather see Clark get more of that again). Also Young Superman is a terrible name to assert any sort of individuality, and like Superboy, will seem cringe-worthy when he's 40. Kon should never be hated by the mainstream - he's a "mass appeal" kinda guy to me.

Powerboy for his superhero name sounds like a great idea to me. Or Powerman. I know black has been a main part of his costumes over the years but if they went with Powerboy/man, in the way Powergirl's costumes are predominantly white, I'd like to see if he could pull off a mainly white costume. Superman is blue, yellow and red. How about white, yellow and red for Conner?
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 08-31-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Time slide makes this untenable to me. He was a contemporary hero at the time of his creation, and should remain so. He should not be a '90s Superhero created in 2014 (and that date will only get later as time marches on) - that would make him a dork, not cool like he was perceived at the time. You seem to want him stuck in the 1990s forever - that does not work to me, and will make him a joke (or at least a comedic character). The whole point was that he was a Superboy for "today" when he was created. There would be no reason for him to created/cloned as a '90s guy 20 years later. He can fall behind the times - any person can - but he wouldn't be that way when made.
    This was my reasoning. Jon is going to be the Rockwellian All American Superboy who is in the future. That's his destiny as Clark's son and pseudo copy. Conner was always presented as the Superboy of today's youth and that's entirely social media presence. Popeyes has become an epidemic over a chicken sandwich just because of some small feud on social media. Instagram and Youtube have made celebrities of virtual nobodies in their 16s. Conner is to ever speak to today's younger readers, he's going to have to represent them in a positive way. I don't think any of this ruins the character unless we're going to be cranky old men shaking our walkers at "them kids taking muh superheroes."

The '90s punk rock look is pretty in by the way. A lot of younger fans who visit my store love that look. DC decided to publish some of that old stuff, made it the cover to their Convergence trade he's in, and he returned that way front-and-center in Young Justice. Visually he wouldn't have too change much. The shaved sides and mop on top? That's back in. The small round glasses? Back in. Distressed jacket with some homemade alterations? Isn't that evergreen for youth? Well it's currently "in" too. I see that a lot at the mall whenever I go in for a pretzel or something.

I don't know what the problem is.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-31-2019 at 09:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    1. HEAT VISION!!
    2. He gets Powers from the SUN!!
    3. He came back from the death like a Phoenix..

I dont know how do you get 2014:
    1. IRL Time ISNT Comic Time
    2. We have now the Situation that because of NEW52 ALL characters lost 10 Years, best seen by Wally.

This means Conner is theoretically already OLDER THAN 30, BUT because of Rebirth,NEW52 he also lost 10 years somehow.

It will also not make a joke out of him...Take simply LOBO...
    I see Lobo and Conner just as two ANACHRONISTIC characters who get their charme just by being them..
    It would be MUCH WORSE if you try to modernize Conner...he would be like ALL the others a boring SOCIAL MEDIA Super-Hero like many others to.

I also dont understand what you mean by being stuck in the 1990...I mean do for example NIGHTWING use Instagram all the time?
    There are many Biker,Heavy Metal Fans etc. who wear Leather-Jackets etc.

Besides we are talking about SUPERHEROES and if you look at SUPERMAN...
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11...he-never-will/
    I mean even Jonathan Samuel Kent, Supermans own son made fun of the Costume of his dad.

I dont see him as being stuck in the 1990...I rather see him just as cool guy who is wearing Leather Jacket, listening to Heavy Metal,Punk,Hard-Rock...
    I always thougt also that it would be cool to let him also have a Harley in his free-time..
    This is Clark in NEW52, but I like the picture it seems fitting for Conner
    https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...n-the-1664651/ (the one with the Bike)

He can use Facebook under his real name AND also use a TT Computer to run a Facebook Site under his Code-Name.
    But NOT changing his costume,becoming one of this SELFIE-CLOWNS, Selfie-Stick etc.

I always liked Conner because he seemed to have the same taste in music like I have, wearing clothes which I also wear (to a certain extend)...
    I LOVE that he is like Lobo the kind of edgy character who isnt interested what people think about him...

Its rather Jonathan Samuel Kent who I find HORRIBLE, because he just seems to be a Rip-off of his dad.
    And I find his costume outdated, because for his dad is ok, because he is the icon, designed with this costume, but I find that Capes are outdated for NEWLY created Heroes.
    I think Tzigone wants to say that Kon as character born as the "cool guy" (and used popular things in 90's for this). However, what is cool now is different from the 90's, so Kon wouldn't be the "cool guy" for new generations if he is mantained with his 90's attributes.

I understand you like that aspect of the character, but he wouldn't likely be the "cool guy" if he mantain his 90's attributes.

In my case, I do not have an attachment to 90's version, since I become fan of Conner in Jon's Teen Titans.

So, you wouldn't like the direction I would like for Conner.

Fantastic Member

Never liked bad boys. Don't think it's cool at all!! Never liked that whole bad boy, man whore thing of nightwing!! Not a real big fan of the Bat-family!!

I was a bigger fan of Dick in Spyral than Bludhaven. So i don't think just giving a character a city to patrol is the end all be all sign of growth.

So thats why i focused on him being apart of CADMUS than moving out of Metropolis. Granted you probably could set CADMUS anywhere like say Hawaii .

PS-ARGUS is fine but i prefer CADMUS.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Okay, I think I got one, but it'll mostly be going off what's currently going on in Young Justice and the DCU in general, and something Bendis said a while ago in an interview.

So, as far as the world know, Lex Luthor liquidated all of his assets and then seemingly blew himself up on live TV. As readers we know that isn't the whole story, and Lex was secretly reborn as "Apex Lex," but as far as the world knows, Lex and his dynasty ended......or did it?

Enter Conner. He's just freshly reunited with his surrogate family, Young Justice, and he's returned to Earth-0 to hear the news about Lex (he's been made aware that Lex isn't dead), and this gives him an idea. An idea that's been brewing in him since he decided to stop strictly trying to adhere to the path one side of his DNA (Superman's obviously) implies (this was before he left for Gem World).

So, Conner reveals to the world that he isn't just a clone of Superman as previously published, but rather that he's also half a clone of Lex......thus making him the closest thing to a heir Lex ever had. This But heir to what? Lex gave away all of his assets, right? Well, when have you known Lex not to have some sort of back-up plan? Lex may be a devout follower of Perpetua now, but before hand he knew to plan for the event of her defeat, so he left a backdoor loophole that left him a sizable chunk capital (just enough to get him up and running with a new start-up). Conner makes use of his rights as his heir, and claims the money.

But it wont be to resurrect Lex Corp. Nah. Rather, it'll be to start-up "Young Justice Inc". A start-up organization that's gonna revolutionize how the next generation of heroes operate from here on.

They roll out a new app call "YJ", and every young hero is encouraged to download it. Basically it's something akin to Uber or Lyft. As a young hero you turn on the app when you're free to team up. It lets you know what other members are around your area, and there's a whole social networking component to it that allows for live-chat, live-stream, DMs, and update posts. With this app YOU become a part of Young Justice whenever you can. You become a part of a movement.

I'd add Mercy Graves to the Young Justice supporting cast as a sort of "den mother" type. She feels deeply betrayed by Lex deciding to go off and bend the knee to some space goddess. She followed that man without question because he had the spark and independence to stare down gods. Lex was the ultimate rebel. And she can't help but see that in his "son" and what he's trying to accomplish. Conner doesn't go for it at first, but if he wants to keep Young justice financed, he's gonna have to trust Mercy.

So, basically the idea takes the 90's Australian Lex Luthor "heir" and revamps it. I also recalled that Bendis said that Young Justice would have a brand new way to allow for new members to come in and out smoothly. Also, I'm heavily basing this off Young Justice issue 3 the features what Conner was doing before Gem World. In it we get the implication that he's becoming more comfortable with not adhering to just one side of his DNA.

It's Silicon Valley/The Social Network meets Richie Rich.

This'll also leave ample room for a change in code name.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This was my reasoning. Jon is going to be the Rockwellian All American Superboy who is in the future. That's his destiny as Clark's son and pseudo copy. Conner was always presented as the Superboy of today's youth and that's entirely social media presence. Popeyes has become an epidemic over a chicken sandwich just because of some small feud on social media. Instagram and Youtube have made celebrities of virtual nobodies in their 16s. Conner is to ever speak to today's younger readers, he's going to have to represent them in a positive way. I don't think any of this ruins the character unless we're going to be cranky old men shaking our walkers at "them kids taking muh superheroes."

The '90s punk rock look is pretty in by the way. A lot of younger fans who visit my store love that look. DC decided to publish some of that old stuff, made it the cover to their Convergence trade he's in, and he returned that way front-and-center in Young Justice. Visually he wouldn't have too change much. The shaved sides and mop on top? That's back in. The small round glasses? Back in. Distressed jacket with some homemade alterations? Isn't that evergreen for youth? Well it's currently "in" too. I see that a lot at the mall whenever I go in for a pretzel or something.

I don't know what the problem is.
    We also have seen that Titans of Tomorrow is STILL IN CONTINUITY....and Conner and Tim of the future both implied that something happened with Jonathan.

If the Instagram and Youtube then features also Batman,Nightwing,Wonder Woman,Aquaman,Superman....in the show then YES...
    I personally really HATE!! the idea of Instagram and Social Media, this in combination with the leather-jacket etc. would make him more look like a poser.
    It will also take big part of his coolness away...It also doesnt work...These guys with the Metallica Shirt etc. on Social Media only bought the Shirt, because its trendy and are posers.

I always LOVED him Lobo etc. for not being part of this Social Media etc.

And I also dont believe that People like Batman will take him seriously if he does that.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I think Tzigone wants to say that Kon as character born as the "cool guy" (and used popular things in 90's for this). However, what is cool now is different from the 90's, so Kon wouldn't be the "cool guy" for new generations if he is mantained with his 90's attributes.

I understand you like that aspect of the character, but he wouldn't likely be the "cool guy" if he mantain his 90's attributes.

In my case, I do not have an attachment to 90's version, since I become fan of Conner in Jon's Teen Titans.

So, you wouldn't like the direction I would like for Conner.
    I dont see it in that way:

1. Dont see Conner as the COOL guy, I see him more as Punk-Rock Version of Superman and so its timeless
    2. I would probably go back to Jeans,new Version of the Shirt (like the one with Clark which I posted above) and Leather Jacket (so he looks more like Arnold Schwarzenegger in Terminator) and this look is timeless
    3. This are Super-Heroes who wear capes....So we shouldnt be talking about cool etc.

I mean I personally feel always strange looking at Superman, especially when he wears this Outfit with the red "Underwear" and the yellow belt.
    It feels outdated...

For me and I also think for new generations Conner looks also cool keeping his look...
    I wouldnt keep the complete 90ies look-like I always HATED the sunglasses...But with Jeans,Shirt,Leather Jacket and the actual haircut he would look great...
    Taking a Terminator/Biker/Punk Outfit....

Mighty Member

A great Idea would also for Conner to become JL member and lead a JL Team consisting of characters who rarely gets the Spotlight:
    Vixen,Hawkman,Hawkgirl,logically Cassie,Tim,Bart...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

We also have seen that Titans of Tomorrow is STILL IN CONTINUITY....and Conner and Tim of the future both implied that something happened with Jonathan.

If the Instagram and Youtube then features also Batman,Nightwing,Wonder Woman,Aquaman,Superman....in the show then YES...
    I personally really HATE!! the idea of Instagram and Social Media, this in combination with the leather-jacket etc. would make him more look like a poser.
    It will also take big part of his coolness away...It also doesnt work...These guys with the Metallica Shirt etc. on Social Media only bought the Shirt, because its trendy and are posers.

I always LOVED him Lobo etc. for not being part of this Social Media etc.

And I also dont believe that People like Batman will take him seriously if he does that.
    I never figured a cool teen in rebellion would much care what some old man like Batman would think. In fact, he'd probably reference the "f*** Batman" meme and get a lot of love from younger readers who don't want a middle aged billionaire white guy telling them how to behave. Furthermore, it doesn't matter what you or I think is cool; if Conner is going to be a young, modern Superboy then he has to reflect the modern age, not what was modern when we were young. He has to grow if he's going to stay relevant.

If he's forever the '90s idea of cool, well he's begging to be replaced. He can still like the music he likes and rock his aesthetic, that doesn't have to change. Having social media presence doesn't make you a vapid, shallow person. I'm not sure why you are equating it as such. Is buying a shirt and enjoying the music not enough or do they have to follow a specific lifestyle before the Metal Moral Authority deems them proper fans? Do we need to be power scaling #ReleaseTheSnyderCut iconoclasts before we can be regarded as real comic fans?

The "poseur" mentality is toxic high school clique garbage. We're fans. Celebrate instead of tearing down, which in this case is Conner and how we'd like to give him a direction. He can still be Conner and adapt to the modern age.

Lastly, regardless if you never thought of Conner and a "the cool guy" that is absolutely who he was made and marketed to be; that's his character in it's purest form before Geoff made him into a mopey clone of Lex as well.
    Last edited by Robanker; 09-01-2019 at 02:49 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

How is jon rip off of clark? He has similarities to him. But, clark and jon are different. As for, being into social media and stuff. Jon has been shown to be on his phone many time, taking selfies and stuff.
    This guy

And this guy are totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by Super-Cyke View Post
    Powerboy for his superhero name sounds like a great idea to me. Or Powerman. I know black has been a main part of his costumes over the years but if they went with Powerboy/man, in the way Powergirl's costumes are predominantly white, I'd like to see if he could pull off a mainly white costume. Superman is blue, yellow and red. How about white, yellow and red for Conner?
    Marvel has had at least two heroes named Power Man is part of the reason that I suggested Power Boy instead of Power Man. Also, Conner does seem to be an eternal young adult and isn't liable to age much. He's in that Young Justice generation with Bart and Cassie and Tim, and I think they'll always be at that stage.