Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman + Bendis + "politics" = future

Okay, this is a pretty delicate thread to make, so I'd like to start off by saying IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SPOILED GO NO FURTHER. Join the conversation some time down the line once the story in the Superman books have caught up.

So, "Superman, President of Earth" is seeming more and more likely to be a very real thing. For those who don't know , we caught wind of the idea because of a description for the collected issues 16-21 of Superman that said "when the organization that had a hand in destroying Krypton is exposed, Superman is elected to a job he never wanted...president of Earth!"

We have pretty direct hinting at the idea in the soon-to-be-out Supergirl issue 33 where Clark speaks to Kara about being appointed to a position he doesn't seem to want. It's not outright stated what the position is, but this is coming directly after Superman gives his "galactic address" and explains his son's idea for a galactic United Nations dubbed "The United Planets."

Then very recently we got a preview of Legion: Millenium issue #1, and it featured a look at Supergirl's future where she also becomes president of Earth. Check out the article and art here.

So, now I'm kind of noticing the political bent his cosmic Superman book is taking, what with its shadowy governing bodies being exposed, galactic political power vacuums, genocide for political maneuvering, and so on. Our main characters even fit the part: Superman as the galaxy's most respected figure, Kara whistle blowing the Krypton conspiracy, Jor-El being a former member of the Circle, Zod leading his own world, and Jon coming up with the idea of the UP after his galactic humanitarian work with his grandfather.

I guess what I'm getting at is, how does everyone feel about Superman being a legit politician?

My first thoughts? I don't think I could be more for it if I physically forced myself somehow. Superman, from his earliest conception, has always been about the idea of being in power and using it selflessly for the good of others. As I've said elsewhere, this is far and away my all-time capital F favorite Superman "power-up"/ "power addition", and it's an addition to his ability that, conceptually, only finds a peer in the ability to fly when it comes to what just the implications make a possible. I'm sitting here genuinely prying that we get even an 1/8 of what this could be. This completely opens up and shifts what being in space means to Superman, and it makes it an active and important part of his myth.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I like it. I would just add two guidelines:

1) He's good at it, and is politically savvy, not some "naive farmboy" who could be easily manipulated.

2) He actually HATES the job. A nerve was struck when too many of the EVIL, power-hungry Supermans stories came out that I wanted our Supes to be somewhat opposite of those guys: a guy who retains the job ONLY because he sees squatting on the job keeps lesser-fit guys with bad intentions out. What's more selfless than a guy using his power to make the world better, even though he hates dealing with all of that?

EDIT: I actually see this more fitting for the Ambassador-era Wonder Woman, but I'm okay with this with Superman.

Love it, I think it’s a brilliant status quo change. So much lip service has been given to the idea of Superman being an icon to Earth and the superhero community, but it’s only rarely that I felt that Supes had actually deserved such accolades. What we have here is a chance to explore Supes status as a beloved figure, and it gives Superman a problem he can’t solve with mere strength. I also agree that Clark shouldn’t be a naive farm boy but I also don’t want him coming in like he’s an expert at politics. This is his first time in canon trying his hand at this, and it would be a mistake to not have him struggle with it. Agree with Docha that he should hate the job, and judging by the solicits it looks like he will.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    1) He's good at it, and is politically savvy, not some "naive farmboy" who could be easily manipulated.
    Frankly, I'm looking forward to seeing the "growing pains", and seeing Superman take some lumps here and there on this. I'm actually hoping for some sort of supporting cast, or "Presidential Cabinet" (of sorts) for him. I'm hoping for some learning.

2) He actually HATES the job. A nerve was struck when too many of the EVIL, power-hungry Supermans stories came out that I wanted our Supes to be somewhat opposite of those guys: a guy who retains the job ONLY because he sees squatting on the job keeps lesser-fit guys with bad intentions out. What's more selfless than a guy using his power to make the world better, even though he hates dealing with all of that?
    Based on his argument with his father in Man of Steel issue 6, and his outright laughing off of the idea of becoming a global leader as presented by MM in Superman issue #1, I imagine we'll get a sense of how uncomfortable he is with the whole deal.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I love it. Just for it, I may end buying the French Hardback of Bendi's run, when so far I've only bought New 52 Superman material published here. I just hope that Bendis won't shy away from the reactions such an event would have on the everyday citizens of the world and even other heroes. Like, an Alien get stranded on Earth and asks to see the President to the closest human. Yes, the President. Not the dull guy in grey clothes nor the angry orange thing. The President of Earth! Superman ! Come on !

Then hilarity ensues !

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Frankly, I'm looking forward to seeing the "growing pains", and seeing Superman take some lumps here and there on this. I'm actually hoping for some sort of supporting cast, or "Presidential Cabinet" (of sorts) for him. I'm hoping for some learning.
    Yeah, I'd be okay with the growing pains, but it has to be give and take. Certain things he's going to do well, yet other areas he'll need experience. I just don't want it to be a series of failures until toward the end when he starts getting things right, or at least somewhat alternate the wins and losses.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I'd be okay with the growing pains, but it has to be give and take. Certain things he's going to do well, yet other areas he'll need experience. I just don't want it to be a series of failures until toward the end when he starts getting things right, or at least somewhat alternate the wins and losses.
    Nah. I'd want it to be like moments of triumph, and won political battles/exchanges, but still a mountain to climb and more to learn.

In a lot of ways, the idea of this new role is sort of be like a fundamental "reset to neutral" for Superman. And like any "year one" Superman, he's gotta learn the weaknesses of his opponents and roadblocks, and his own, thus lumps of some kind will be taken.

Something that kind of just came to mind was how Zod fits in this idea.

I think there's a good chance Zod will not only join the UP, but he may even prove to be a political friend to our newly appointed president of Earth.

In issue 14 Jor-El tells Clark "Zod will do what you cannot." Jor-El says this after essentially orchestrating conditions primed for Zod to catch Zaar unawares and kill them both via kryptonite. Interestingly enough, Clark has already used Zod as a sort of "spear" or "attack dog" back when they fought Zaar in the Phantom Zone, and Clark deliberately yells out "for Kandor" with the express goal of working Zod up into a frenzy to be unleashed on Zaar.

So, I'm wondering if like Prof X and Magneto, Clark and Zod will be checks and balances to one another as they forge the UP alongside the rest of the galaxy? Maybe Zod even does shady stuff behind Clark's back to help him without dirtying his image? It would add in another dimension to the words "Zod will do what you cannot."

I am very much excited by this direction for the books. I agree with the seeming direction of Clark being reluctant to take on the role, I think that fits with his character in general and explicitly how Bendis has set him up since Man of Steel. There's that saying that the only people who would be good leaders have no desire to do it and that being played out through Superman sounds awesome to me. So yeah, I like that he's reluctant to take on the role and likely will have a bit of an adjustment to political maneuvering. I don't want him to be painted as naive, etc. But his outlook on people and second chances, will be something that Bendis can play with. Like we saw with the Red Cloud in Action, he's going to extend his hand and offer to help everyone. It should make for some interesting stories.

As for how this gets played out back home, that also should be really interesting. Honestly, just give me a West Wing through the lens of Superman. Even if only for an arc or two.

Fantastic Member Man_of_Tomorrow's Avatar

Honestly it's a great idea.

Its risky, it's interesting, it has unique stakes and it's something that could only be done with Superman for maximum effect.

I love that Bendis writes stories that you can only tell with Supeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_of_Tomorrow View Post
    I love that Bendis writes stories that you can only tell with Supeman.
    Dude! Right? For all the bitching and complaining about his run, and for all the truly questionable choices Bendis has made, his run is definitely something you couldn't do with any other character. He's done stuff I'm not sure about and some stuff I'm really not a fan of at all, but he gets Superman like few other writers and I'm always going to appreciate that.

Anyway, anyone who knows me here knows that I am all in for President Superman. That idea is probably the single greatest concept to come out of the Super-verse in decades. If Bendis can even half-way pull this off and sell it we might be looking at a paradigm shift in the mythos we havent seen since Clark and Lois got serious about their relationship.
    Last edited by Ascended; 08-30-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Something that kind of just came to mind was how Zod fits in this idea.

I think there's a good chance Zod will not only join the UP, but he may even prove to be a political friend to our newly appointed president of Earth.

In issue 14 Jor-El tells Clark "Zod will do what you cannot." Jor-El says this after essentially orchestrating conditions primed for Zod to catch Zaar unawares and kill them both via kryptonite. Interestingly enough, Clark has already used Zod as a sort of "spear" or "attack dog" back when they fought Zaar in the Phantom Zone, and Clark deliberately yells out "for Kandor" with the express goal of working Zod up into a frenzy to be unleashed on Zaar.

So, I'm wondering if like Prof X and Magneto, Clark and Zod will be checks and balances to one another as they forge the UP alongside the rest of the galaxy? Maybe Zod even does shady stuff behind Clark's back to help him without dirtying his image? It would add in another dimension to the words "Zod will do what you cannot."
    If Bendis is channeling Magneto with Zod I’m all for it. I could easily see Zod saying this:
    4E3E92A5-1D48-4C11-892A-CAA0A3504186.jpg

Astonishing Member

I haven't been following Bendis's Superman. How and why does he become president of Earth?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I haven't been following Bendis's Superman. How and why does he become president of Earth?
    If you read the first post, it didn't actually happen yet. Possibly in the coming issues.

I don't like the idea of President of Earth in general but for the question of Superman as a politician I don't really see it.