Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I wonder what the chances are of us getting something similar to the scene where Superman addresses the United Nations in Superman IV: Quest For Peace?

I feel like Bendis may be paying greater homage to this film than just his hilarious Nuclear Man cameo. The basic idea of Superman no longer just acting as a visitor, but rather a contributing voice by taking very direct globe action is mirrored in issue 1 of Superman where Manhunter and Clark talk.

So I dunno, something to think about. Plus, I love the "you'll need a sponsor" moment haha

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

That does raise an interesting point: Is Earth 100% on board with this? Do they want to be a part of a “United Planets”? I could see Supes having to go before the UN to explain just what the hell he has enrolled Earth in.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That does raise an interesting point: Is Earth 100% on board with this? Do they want to be a part of a “United Planets”? I could see Supes having to go before the UN to explain just what the hell he has enrolled Earth in.
    I expect there to be some degree of resistance, but then Clark will be all "Hey, remember the time we were invaded by Thanagar? And the Dominion? And....and....and....? This UP thing will make that a whole less common and if it does happen again we'll have allies we can ask for help." And once he explains it most people will get with the program, with a few vocal detractors like Lex thrown in for spice.

But honestly, what I would actually like to see is a big, hard hit against it from the people. Earth is in the galactic conversation not because our technology or societies have evolved to that level, but because there's a couple dozen god-like beings who happen to call earth home and they are always getting involved in crazy sh*t and pulling the rest of the universe down on our heads. I'd like to see the world go "Yknow what? You guys blew the Source Wall apart. You did this, and this, and this, and it's all come back to bite us regular folks in the ass, so no thanks, we'll pass on the UP."

And then the Golden Age fan in me just wants Clark to say "I dont care."

Now *that* could be a DCU sized shake up. The heroes on the out's because they're (for once!) doing the responsible thing and taking a long view at the common good.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Arrow

As long as Clark doesn't end up "going bad" and becoming a watered-down version of Injustice Sups I'm all for it. That's my big fear for this status quo/storyline honestly.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    But honestly, what I would actually like to see is a big, hard hit against it from the people. Earth is in the galactic conversation not because our technology or societies have evolved to that level, but because there's a couple dozen god-like beings who happen to call earth home and they are always getting involved in crazy sh*t and pulling the rest of the universe down on our heads. I'd like to see the world go "Yknow what? You guys blew the Source Wall apart. You did this, and this, and this, and it's all come back to bite us regular folks in the ass, so no thanks, we'll pass on the UP."
    Early on didn't Bendis say something about Action Comics being the place where you get the "guy on the street's pov of the crazy sh!t." We're seeing that so far with Leviathan and the STAR labs stuff, so I have to imagine we'll get some of that with President Superman.

Dude, I'm hoping so damn hard that we see freaking approval ratings!!!!! That would be amazing haha
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I expect there to be some degree of resistance, but then Clark will be all "Hey, remember the time we were invaded by Thanagar? And the Dominion? And....and....and....? This UP thing will make that a whole less common and if it does happen again we'll have allies we can ask for help." And once he explains it most people will get with the program, with a few vocal detractors like Lex thrown in for spice.

And then the Golden Age fan in me just wants Clark to say "I dont care."

Now *that* could be a DCU sized shake up. The heroes on the out's because they're (for once!) doing the responsible thing and taking a long view at the common good.
    Dude I would 100% be on board for what you just said. I can’t see a lot of Earth nations going for this, and I do think that conflict between Supes and Earth would be inevitable. But at least this would be an organic source of conflict that makes sense and I would honestly love to see Supes go “**** it we’re joining, you all OWE it to me for all the times I’ve saved your asses”. I really do hope that’s how it goes down lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Early on didn't Bendis say something about Action Comics being the place where you get the "guy on the street's pov of the crazy sh!t." We're seeing that so far with Leviathan and the STAR labs stuff, so I have to imagine we'll get some of that with President Superman.

Dude, I'm hoping so damn hard that we see freaking approval ratings!!!!! That would be amazing haha
    Lmao I would 100% be on board for this. I’ve always enjoyed stories where Supes falls out of the public flavor for a while. Liked it in New Krypton, Morrison Action Comics, and Truth, even when I had problems with other stuff. It’s easy to do good when everyone supports you, but to keep doing what you think is right when everyone hates your guts? That takes real courage.

Its a brilliant idea. It seems definitely novel. And it has the potential to bring forth a lot of great stories.

George Washington this man. Put him in power, and have him choose not to run for another term after a couple years.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    George Washington this man. Put him in power, and have him choose not to run for another term after a couple years.
    I’m almost positive that’s how this will go down.

I’m almost positive that’s how this will go down.
    I agree - that makes it "semi-topical" for us in the US right now, which may/will draw eyeballs or press, and then it gets dropped. (at least for awhile - he may have to step in every now and again)
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Amazing Member

Just not sure I like the idea of a superpowered philosopher-king from another world taking over the reins politically. I love supes, but part of the reason having him on the planet with the powers he has isn't downright terrifying is because he does NOT have political power. Red Son and hell even Injustice show why him being in charge of the planet is a recipe for bad mojo. And no, I wouldn't expect him to go bad as he did in both of those, but I think people would rightly be pretty pissed off and scared if not only out of nowhere was there a president of earth, but that said president was a literal alien.

That's something I'm very interested in seeing, actually. When we get a story about Clark getting into politics and taking a hand in world events, it's always connected to "evil Superman" stories. And this isn't something that feels like it's in Clark's wheelhouse or something the people would even support en masse.

So it's Clark being completely out of his element and exploring political narratives.....but done without the over-played "evil Superman" troupe. That's something I don't think we've ever really seen DC dig into and I'm very excited about the potential here. Largely because it's *not* something Clark should be good at, and it's *not" something everyone on earth will cheer for.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by bishopcruz View Post
    Just not sure I like the idea of a superpowered philosopher-king from another world taking over the reins politically. I love supes, but part of the reason having him on the planet with the powers he has isn't downright terrifying is because he does NOT have political power. Red Son and hell even Injustice show why him being in charge of the planet is a recipe for bad mojo. And no, I wouldn't expect him to go bad as he did in both of those, but I think people would rightly be pretty pissed off and scared if not only out of nowhere was there a president of earth, but that said president was a literal alien.
    Sounds like it could be a good story then. It’s got a good conflict as you’ve pointed out, is this too much power for one man, as a Kryptonian by birth what right does Kal have to represent Earth, etc. But it will hopefully steer clear of the usual cliches where Clark goes nuts and frankly I think he will. I expect this is going to be Bendis’ big contribution to the Super Mythos, Superman leading and building this intergalactic organization. And I think it’s a totally worthwhile thing to explore, after all Batman went international with his crime fighting business, why doesn’t Superman try going intergalactic with his peacemaking operations?

Amazing Member

Sounds like it could be a good story then. It’s got a good conflict as you’ve pointed out, is this too much power for one man, as a Kryptonian by birth what right does Kal have to represent Earth, etc. But it will hopefully steer clear of the usual cliches where Clark goes nuts and frankly I think he will. I expect this is going to be Bendis’ big contribution to the Super Mythos, Superman leading and building this intergalactic organization. And I think it’s a totally worthwhile thing to explore, after all Batman went international with his crime fighting business, why doesn’t Superman try going intergalactic with his peacemaking operations?
    Yeah, but something like that requires a deft pen and a soft touch. It's one of the reasons that I don't much like politics in comics, most writers do not have the abililty to show both sides of a conflict well. Two sides of a fictional war? Many have the talent to pull that off. Showing two sides of a real world nuanced political issue? Not a chance in hell, and I just don't trust a President Superman arc to NOT be constantly throwing shade at whatever side of the political divide Bendis has issues with.

Astonishing Member

I like it. After all, "Superman" is president of earth, but Clark Kent isn't. Which is still an interesting dynamic.

I will say what I feel like I say all the time in Superman chat these days ... Doctor Who did it first.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com