Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

It's good enough if you don't have any familiarity with any characters but even when I know a few characters only in passing from their classic stuff some things feel wrong

- Clark referring to Lois as his best friend feels very wrong even though I don't mind Superman Wonder Woman pairing
    - Dick Grayson being so close in age to the League generations feels very wrong.
    Even though there's still 10 years difference between them, Bruce is drawn so young they look like brothers and Dick is portrayed to be so close and loyal to Bruce even though he's only known him for 5 years made me wonder where all these feelings come from.
    Then there's the fact that Superman is only 25 while Wonder Woman and Catwoman are only 23 when Dick is 21. That's just wrong. I noticed that they kept Dick as far away from them as possible so it's not as noticeable.

I ended up only reading New 52 for about two years because of continuity issues between titles and the way they publish their books. They had so many crossovers that the way it was collected is annoying.

Example. Both Justice League and Aquaman vol. 3 collect the same issues because of the crossover between them, plus 2 issues that are unique to each series. If you're following both, you have to choose or buy double. I ended up getting Justice League Vol. 3 and pick up Aquaman's unique issues on digital, only to regret it later because Aquaman is better written. That said, Justice League is the spine of New 52 so it's still more essential to continue reading them instead of Aquaman, but Aquaman is just, personally, more interesting. I can pick both on digital, but I already have a trade collection that I prefer to be complete, thank you.

Then at the end, there's that transition from New 52 to Rebirth. Once Rebirth started, a lot of New 52 status quo is overturned. Some immediately, some more slowly. While it's still largely based and continued from New 52, at least 2 important characters are rewritten so that their New 52 stories don't matter. It's to return them to a more familiar state and it does give a better feeling for me who's familiar with the classic portrayal of the characters, but if you're following the whole thing, a waste of money is still a waste of money.

Yes, the change from post-crisis to new 52 or any other reboot also feel like a waste of money, just in case some people think I didn't think about that.

My personal advice is to not get into DC's main canon continuity at all, and just stick to timeless stories be it books, movies or TV. You won't get annoyed every story arc that way.

Unless of course continuity, in the long run, doesn't matter and you just wanna read whatever, then go ahead read whatever.

TLDR there are so many things happening behind the scenes at DC that it bleeds into how they handle their comics. The timeless classics and limited series are better because there are less corporate interference and less cook in the kitchen.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 08-31-2019 at 08:32 PM.

If you mean "is it a good place to start reading DC comics in general" the answer is No
    It is however as others have pointed out a good place to start for certain characters like Batman or Green Lantern, the thing is, there are also other places to start with those characters aswell like Morrison's run on Batman and Johns's starting run on GL

there are also some comic runs that started on New 52 that are pretty great even though they pretty much have nothing relevant in continuity right now like Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing or Animal Man
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 09-01-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    If you mean "is it a good place to start reading DC comics in general" the answer is No
    It is however as others have pointed out a good place to start for certain characters like Batman or Green Lantern, the thing is, there are also other places to start with those characters aswell like Morrison's run on Batman and Johns's starting run on GL

there are also some comic runs that started on New 52 that are pretty great even though they pretty much have nothing relevant in continuity right now like Wonder Woman, Swamp Thing or Animal Man
    No, Green Lantern is not at all a good starting point because it's the middle of a run !
    As for Batman by Grant Morrsion, it is also not a good starting point because it's a difficult run and it's good to know some things before reading it or you'll miss out a lot.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    It is however as others have pointed out a good place to start for certain characters like Batman or Green Lantern, the thing is, there are also other places to start with those characters as well like Morrison's run on Batman and Johns's starting run on GL
    I thought people were saying that it was the exact opposite. Its not a good place to start for either Batman or GL.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I thought people were saying that it was the exact opposite. Its not a good place to start for either Batman or GL.
    For Batman it’s totally fine to start with New 52. Snyder’s run was extremely popular and accessible to newcomers, that’s why it sold so well.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    No certainly not. For Green Lantern for exemple, it certainly is not. For Superman for another exemple, it certainly is not.
    For Superman it would've been, since the Superman from before Flashpoint had become such a horrible character. The one in the New52 was far superior. But then of course they completely erased the New52 Superman.
    #EmmaWasRight

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    A little while back I posted on here that my friend had a lot of the new 52 comics runs for sale. Well I bought them all. I was to read newer comics but get lost in all the revamps that dc seems to do every couple of weeks. I was thinking I would start with The New 52 and go go from there. Is that a good place to start? I know I may have asked this before about what I needed to know to get into the New 52. But is the new 52 a good place to start to get into the new comics?
    If you've already bought these runs then you'd surely be looking into reading them regardless wouldn't you? Unless you just intend for them to sit on a shelf.

For what was intended to be a good jumping on point for fans, parts of the New 52 have actually become the opposite of that as time has passed. The entire New 52 runs of both Superman and Wonder Woman have been rendered moot by Rebirth. Some of the Superman stuff is pretty good (Morrison's stint on Action Comics is excellent for example) but they are by no means essential reading anymore. By contrast, the Aquaman, Justice League and Batman titles are great for jumping on board with via the New 52.

The Teen Titans material from the New 52 era has got a bad reputation. I've never read any of it personally but can say that the Legion stories from this period are also forgettable and are seriously not worth your time. Legion Lost is particularly poor. Similarly, parts of the Earth 2 story-line are well worth checking out but others are very skippable (Earth 2: Worlds End etc). It honestly depends on which titles it is that you've bought from your friend. There's no exact answer to this question to be honest.
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 09-01-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    For Superman it would've been, since the Superman from before Flashpoint had become such a horrible character. The one in the New52 was far superior. But then of course they completely erased the New52 Superman.
    Yep, at least with Morrison's run. Which is just damn good Superman comics, it doesn't matter what era they are a part of. I believe I saw another poster in the Superman boards say that Grounded was the final punchline to the joke pre-Flashpoint Superman had become, and they were totally right. He was a breath of fresh air that was quickly let down by lack of any long term editorial/creative planning.

I don't have much love for the rest of the New 52 Superman (don't much like Rebirth or pre-Flashpoint either), especially the WW romance, but the way they went about getting rid of that era was totally dumb. I wish they kept the new origin and just gave him back the classic suit and got him back together with Lois.

No certainly not. For Green Lantern for exemple, it certainly is not. For Superman for another exemple, it certainly is not.
    I read GL first during the New 52 and I turned out fine. In fact, culturally, the Geoff John's run is proto-New 52. Similar to how Australopithecina is a proto-human.

I also really only read Marston's Superman run and that was fine enough for me. It is a complete story.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

A good place to start?

Well, DUH!
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It’s where I started and it worked well enough for me. You can always read the older stuff later, not like they going anywhere.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Any place is a good place to start. Worst case scenario, you'll bump into stories you don't like or get attached to versions of characters you'll later find out are almost universally despised by the older fandom (like myself).

Big deal.

If you wanna read comics, and you have access to comics, read them comics.

(Just go into it knowing that, no matter what DC tries to tell, Wally is the best Flash. XD)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    For Batman it’s totally fine to start with New 52. Snyder’s run was extremely popular and accessible to newcomers, that’s why it sold so well.
    I’m going more off the fact that Batman did retain pre-Flashpoint continuity. So you’d probably be better served by reading those stories first.

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    And yet they had to erase him to get people to like Superman again...

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I read GL first during the New 52 and I turned out fine. In fact, culturally, the Geoff John's run is proto-New 52.
    No, his Pre-Flashpoint GL run is just that: the same run but just before the New 52. If anything, the fact that Johns basically ignored the New 52 as if it didn’t even happen says a lot about what he thought of the whole thing. Also, as an aside, I’d even say that the arcs from before Flashpoint like Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night were much better than what came after.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 09-01-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I read GL first during the New 52 and I turned out fine. In fact, culturally, the Geoff John's run is proto-New 52. Similar to how Australopithecina is a proto-human.

I also really only read Marston's Superman run and that was fine enough for me. It is a complete story.
    I agree, technically you can start there.

But for Green Lantern it is like a Sitcom that you would start watching in the middle of a season, you are missing lots of background informations that would have made the later episodes more interresting.
    But now that you have seen the end of the season, when you watch the episodes you missed later, well, you'll already now how lots of stories will end, thus enjoying them less than if you would have started the season from the begining.

Then for Superman, it's a different story. The New52 run is considered by many, like the least interresting Superman run. DC even killed the New52 Superman and brought the previous Superman back.
    Some would say that this is a good place to start because after that you can only find better.
    Others would say that it's would be a waist of you money to spend it on the New52 Superman.

That's my point of view on these 2 titles. Then you can do as you wish. And it's never because others have done it and recommand it that there isn't an even better way to do it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    And yet they had to erase him to get people to like Superman again...
    They had to erase the pre-Flashpoint Superman after Grounded to get people to like Superman again as well.
    As long as there is a version of Superman being published, there are people who will like it. It's not as if sales were bad for New 52 Superman until like the last year or so, and some creative decisions (like the romance with Diana ) were bad and needed to be moved away from. But people liked this one as there were people who liked the Rebirth one. It just joins the fandom debates on who is the best one: pre-Crisis Golden Age, pre-Crisis Earth-1, post Crisis Byrne, post-Ic/Pre-Flashpoint mixture, New 52 and now Rebirth, and they all overlap at times.

New 52 Superman just got driven into the ground faster because the people responsible for the reboot were the same people responsible for ruining the pre-Flashpoint one and they clearly had no direction in mind after Morrison left and any promise in Pak's writing as ruined by Truth. Even so, there were less dumb ways they could move on from the era that could have satisfied multiple groups.

Then for Superman, it's a different story. The New52 run is considered by many, like the least interresting Superman run. DC even killed the New52 Superman and brought the previous Superman back.
    Some would say that this is a good place to start because after that you can only find better.
    Others would say that it's would be a waist of you money to spend it on the New52 Superman.
    I don't think they'd be re-releasing at least the first part of the Morrison run in a new trade if "many" people found it uninteresting.
    I wouldn't say you'd find better after that, in either the New 52 or early Rebirth. Certainly not in the few years before Flashpoint either. Everything between that run and Bendis is pretty bland or outright bad, and Bendis is doing some shaky stuff now as well. On the plus side, we have the Lois and Jimmy books.