Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Is the new 52 a good place to start?

A little while back I posted on here that my friend had a lot of the new 52 comics runs for sale. Well I bought them all. I was to read newer comics but get lost in all the revamps that dc seems to do every couple of weeks. I was thinking I would start with The New 52 and go go from there. Is that a good place to start? I know I may have asked this before about what I needed to know to get into the New 52. But is the new 52 a good place to start to get into the new comics?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

From the New 52 onward, I would say yes. You can always jump in to older stories, in older continuities if you feel like it afterwards.

For some sure. It depends on how attached you are to the status quo you’ve probably seen in outside media. I would say that these series are perfect for newcomers to the characters looking to get in:
    Aquaman
    Batman
    Flash
    Justice League
    Maybe Superman as well, the Grant Morrison Action Comics run acts as the origin for the New 52 Superman

However for Green Lantern you should start with Geoff Johns GL run. I love Azz’s WW run but keep in mind that it is a VERY atypical run on WW. It requires no prior stories to dive in though. Stay away from Teen Titans, the New 52 runs are awful. For Green Arrow I recommend Ben Percy’s GA REBIRTH run, NOT the New 52 Percy GA, the Rebirth Percy GA run.
    Last edited by Vordan; 08-30-2019 at 11:01 AM.

It was for me when I started back especially Action Comics, Batman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, and JL
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Contrary to others; maybe not. A lot of the New52 has since been retconned (barring a few exceptions), to the point where a number of those stories basically never happened (a lot of Wonder Woman, Superman, Teen Titans, etc).

In all honesty, Rebirth may be a better place to start in general to know what's been happening in the DC Universe lately.

Extraordinary Member

God no. I’d say you should stay as far away from the New 52 as possible. A lot of it is really bad. There’s a reason they had to do Rebirth.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 08-30-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    A little while back I posted on here that my friend had a lot of the new 52 comics runs for sale. Well I bought them all. I was to read newer comics but get lost in all the revamps that dc seems to do every couple of weeks. I was thinking I would start with The New 52 and go go from there. Is that a good place to start? I know I may have asked this before about what I needed to know to get into the New 52. But is the new 52 a good place to start to get into the new comics?
    Yes and no. The New52 is sayd to be a reboot, but it isn't one for Batman and Green Lantern.
    Second, all the New52 series are not that good such as Flash, Superman, Detective Comics, Action Comics.

I would strongly suggest the New52 for Batman & Robin, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Green Arrow and Shazam!. You can also pick up Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Nightwing and Justice League (even if the origin story is shitty).
    For Green Lantern, well it's the continuation of Geoff John's run so start with the begining of his run or you can begin with the Rebirth Run: Hal Jordan and the Green Lanterns.
    For Batman, the first saga (Court of Owls / Night of Owls) is ok, then it falls so low in quality. It's my least favorit Batman run. Don't start with the rebirth run either. His 70's/80's/90's stories are way better.
    For Superman, you can totally skip this era and read any other era.
    Last edited by jb681131; 08-30-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Read Aquaman and Shazam, as they still inform a lot of what is going on in Rebirth.
    Green Lantern was a continuation of of Geoff Johns' run, so I'd suggest starting with the beginning of his run. it is being collected in new trades.

For Superman and Wonder Woman of this era, I'd read their respective main runs that began the New 52 (Morrison on Action Comics and Azzarello respectively) and avoid everything else with them in it. The latter is divisive, for very good reason, but everyone who has an interest in it and the character should experience it and come to their own opinions at least. Just know in advance that fan response to Azz's WW is very heated lol. personally there are a lot of things I hate about it, but some stuff I love.

It depends, what experience do you have from DC ? And what do you like in comics ?

It is the only place to start.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    No certainly not. For Green Lantern for exemple, it certainly is not. For Superman for another exemple, it certainly is not.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Yeah, I'm gonna echo what jb681131 said. The New 52 is most certainly not a good place to start.

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

For some characters. If you are reading Batman, Zero Year provides a good starting point, but then you have to jump back to continue so that's a maybe.
    For Superman, Morrison's run on Action provides a good starting point, albeit suffering the same problem as Batman, a need to jump back, made worse by everything after Morrison's run being iffy as far as canon is concerned.
    For Wonder Woman, it's an ok starting point.
    For Green Lantern, it's a terrible starting points, as it is just a continuation of Geoff John's run on the book prior to N52.
    For the Flash, It's a good standalone, but a poor starting point due to Rebirth.
    For JL, it's a workable starting point.

Aquaman, Swamp Thing, Shazam, Animal Man and Green Arrow provide good starting points.

Otherwise, not so great for starting off.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

As you can see, there are very different opinions people have on this. Ultimately, depending on the series, Rebirth or New 52 could be a good starting point, or even before that.

Some of it depends on the hero; some of the New 52 runs for heroes ended pretty prematurely, and as people have said, that continuity has been abandoned in many cases. However, that may not matter to you. I still enjoy reading old runs of comics that are no longer in continuity if I enjoy the story and art, even from the New 52.

If you're really intent on getting up to speed on the current continuity, then read Flashpoint, the initial Rebirth event books, and then the hero runs you're interested in. Otherwise, it may be worthwhile to tell us what heroes you want to get into, and we can point you to some strong arcs.
    Last edited by noisebloom; 08-31-2019 at 05:22 PM.

It definitely is not a good starting point for the Teen Titans.