Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This issue got a few bad reviews and im not really sure why. Just seemed like a nice solid issue. Nothing special and definitely the worst of everything Spider related lately but still enjoyed it. The Conway/Bagley story felt like a nice oldschool type story and Bagleys art as usual was on point.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The Erik larsen bit felt mediocre until the ending which was cute, but I wished that Larsen actually showed us the 4 minute long quick web-swing promised there.
    The reason I didn't show that part is because it's the least interesting part of the evening. He gets home, grabs the tickets and returns in time and the two go see the movie. That's it. Nothing eventful happens. No mugging in an alley that he has to deal with. No battle with the Human Larynx or Man Mountain Marko--he swings across town, grabs the tickets off of the top of his dresser and returns. And since they have reserved seats--it's not even a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    The reason I didn't show that part is because it's the least interesting part of the evening. He gets home, grabs the tickets and returns in time and the two go see the movie. That's it. Nothing eventful happens. No mugging in an alley that he has to deal with. No battle with the Human Larynx or Man Mountain Marko--he swings across town, grabs the tickets off of the top of his dresser and returns. And since they have reserved seats--it's not even a big deal.
    See that is the most unique Spidey story ever. He webslings across town and...nothing happens! It’s genius! Gold! No one will ever see it coming! Talk about subverting expectations!

Haha, but seriously you have to consider you have limited page count to tell your story.

Also, Erik Larsen, how does the reader know he makes it back in time? Were there 10 seconds left? Twenty? Was he a few seconds late? Did they miss half the first preview? Did they even get to see the previews? These are the big questions you left readers with and now they are all left hanging on the edge of their seats without answers! God! How could you do that to us? I demand a sequel!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    This issue got a few bad reviews and im not really sure why. Just seemed like a nice solid issue. Nothing special and definitely the worst of everything Spider related lately but still enjoyed it. The Conway/Bagley story felt like a nice oldschool type story and Bagleys art as usual was on point.
    I enjoyed it too. Just a fun issue by some of Spidey's best contributors. Nothing wrong with that.

So does Kristy Watson being at least 18 now since she is in college make Peter at least 28 again since she was supposedly 13 years old when she was introduced and Peter was at least 23 back then since he was out of college for a good while back then?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    So does Kristy Watson being at least 18 now since she is in college make Peter at least 28 again since she was supposedly 13 years old when she was introduced and Peter was at least 23 back then since he was out of college for a good while back then?
    Stop trying to make sense of it. You’ll only hurt yourself.

Spider-Gwen treats him as Peter is much older than her, and she has 20-21 years old. That wouldn't make sense if Peter is in mid-twenties.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Stop trying to make sense of it. You’ll only hurt yourself.
    ... and everybody else here.

Also, Erik Larsen, how does the reader know he makes it back in time? Were there 10 seconds left? Twenty? Was he a few seconds late? Did they miss half the first preview? Did they even get to see the previews? These are the big questions you left readers with and now they are all left hanging on the edge of their seats without answers! God! How could you do that to us? I demand a sequel!
    The reader doesn't know that but it doesn't matter. The important thing isn't that he gets back or doesn't--it's that he constantly screws up and then makes an effort to make things right. Whether he succeeds or not is irrelevant. As we've seen numerous times--he often fails. But that doesn't stop him from getting up, brushing himself off, and trying again.

Aging is not consistent throughout the Marvel universe. The New Warriors were of various ages before that team was formed, some were kids and some were teenagers but they all became magically teenaged because the writer wanted them to be. I don't think anybody at Marvel would agree that Spider-Man is over 30. I would think 28 might be the absolute limit that anybody would peg him for. They do not want him to be a fully-functioning adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    Spider-Gwen treats him as Peter is much older than her, and she has 20-21 years old. That wouldn't make sense if Peter is in mid-twenties.
    Editorial told me that Spider-Gwen is 17.

Editorial told me that Spider-Gwen is 17.
    Aging is not consistent throughout the Marvel universe. The New Warriors were of various ages before that team was formed, some were kids and some were teenagers but they all became magically teenaged because the writer wanted them to be.
    They did again. In the begining of Spider-Gwen Vol 2, they said she was 19.

https://www.cbr.com/latour-promises-...w-spider-gwen/
    Last edited by Hugo Strange; 09-05-2019 at 09:56 AM.

The reader doesn't know that but it doesn't matter. The important thing isn't that he gets back or doesn't--it's that he constantly screws up and then makes an effort to make things right. Whether he succeeds or not is irrelevant. As we've seen numerous times--he often fails. But that doesn't stop him from getting up, brushing himself off, and trying again.
    Hey, sorry, I didn’t expect a serious reply to my joke post but I guess sometimes satire / exaggerated attempts at humor don’t come through in writing. I should have littered my post silly smileys to tip you off on that.

But yeah I agree it’s not necessary to show all that. Leaving it off where you did does make sense to me.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 09-05-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Aging is not consistent throughout the Marvel universe. The New Warriors were of various ages before that team was formed, some were kids and some were teenagers but they all became magically teenaged because the writer wanted them to be. I don't think anybody at Marvel would agree that Spider-Man is over 30. I would think 28 might be the absolute limit that anybody would peg him for. They do not want him to be a fully-functioning adult.
    LOL @ Peter should not be a “fully functioning adult.” I guess he has been written that way lately more often than I would like.

There are people way older than Peter who make way dumber day to day decisions. You could have a teenager more mature and responsible than a 30 year old. But yeah, I have no issue with Peter always being depicted as a stereotypical young adult. But to say he shouldn’t be fully functioning is kind of throwing shade at him to me. LOL

Astonishing Member

LOL @ Peter should not be a “fully functioning adult.” I guess he has been written that way lately more often than I would like.

There are people way older than Peter who make way dumber day to day decisions. You could have a teenager more mature and responsible than a 30 year old. But yeah, I have no issue with Peter always being depicted as a stereotypical young adult. But to say he shouldn’t be fully functioning is kind of throwing shade at him to me. LOL
    You’re not a Spider-Man fan till you’ve said that you’ve hated him at some point in time. It’s the nature of the beast.