Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Time for a real question: Sins' Past, Clone Saga, or One More Day

Which is the worst Spider Man deal/story?

Now why, oh why, would you open that can of worms in this forum???

*sigh*

One More Day.

It’s OMD and by a mile as well. It’s not even remotely close. OMD is far and away the worst Spider-Man story ever told. It led to BND which wasn’t as bad but still god awful in and of itself. I’m neutral on Sins Past. Just a pretty meh story all together.

Clone Saga started off great and I think people at times forget how much hype and positivity there was around the time it was first starting. People loved it. Then Marvel tried to milk it and things started getting out of hand. At least some great characters came from it such a Ben and Kaine. Clone Saga isn’t this joke of a story that some people make it out to be. It had some great writing and some great ideas at the start. Marvel just got carried away and things became a mess.

There’s nothing remotely positive about OMD...Hurts my fingers even typing the name of that title.

Clone saga - Good idea, bad execution.
    Sins Past - Bad Idea, mediocre execution.
    OMD - Bad Idea, Bad Execution.

omd it will never be forgotten
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

One more day is the worst comic story I can ever remember, there are stories that made me mad, there are stories that I hated, there are stories I refused to buy on principal alone but no comic single handedly damage a character like OMD damaged Spider-man. It is now decade plus of damage to the character and while I am finally ok with where Spidey is as a character, OMD really killed so much history of the character and did it in such a absolutely stupid way. That this story ever got green lit by anyone is just mind boggling. I will seriously never understand how marvel allowed their flagship character to essentially make a deal with the devil, I mean a divorce would have been bad for spidey but dealing with mephisto strikes against everything the character is. I seriously do not know that any story could damage a character more than OMD did.

Sins past was terrible but honestly at this point I don't even really mind it anymore. Clone Saga was a great idea with horrible execution and while he has been damaged as a character due to recent events Ben reilly was one of my favorite marvel characters for a long time so I find it hard to hate the clone saga all that much.
    Last edited by regg215; 08-30-2019 at 03:34 PM.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Astonishing Member

Sins Past, easily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Sins Past, easily.
    I was reading Spidey in Black and One More Day...shocking. When I heard the details of Sins' Past, I thought it was a joke or a fan fiction or a Ultimate universe. I could not believe they used Gwen Stacy like that..it boggles my mind.

Amazing Member

Let's contextualize the meaning of "worst"

-Offensive? Sins Past
    -Anticlimactic? The Clone Saga
    -Plain stupid and contradictory of the character's nature? One more day.

As a long time Spider-Man fan, I found all of them equally offensive, Anticlimactic and stupid.

Maybe the Clone-Saga as some few more extenuating circumstances because it was supposed to be just a six part mini and gave us interesting characters like Kaine and Ben Reilly.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Sins Past, easily.
    As an aside, JMS referenced this in Marvel 1000. Said it was his biggest regret.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Amazing Member

Oh, I just wanted to add that, ironically, the Clone Saga single-handedly saved Marvel from bankruptcy. That's why it lasted so long. Marvel simply couldn't survive without its sales.

So while it's a bad saga, it is not fair to compare it with OMD and Sins Past, because the Clone Saga was successful in terms of sales, the other two were utter failures with no redeemable qualities.

Spectacular Member

Omd, you know it’s bad when the writer tries to distance himself from the work before even writing it.

Sins Past.
    The most disgusting comic story I ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post
    As an aside, JMS referenced this in Marvel 1000. Said it was his biggest regret.
    I haven’t read marvel 1000 but I find it weird that JMS would say that was his biggest regret. Not doubting you or anything and I agree that the story was bad but the dude literally wanted his name off of OMD before it was even released. Literally had a gun to his head to write that story. What an awful situation for a writer to be in.....

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single person say they enjoyed or even remotely liked on any level OMD.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    One more day is the worst comic story I can ever remember, there are stories that made me mad, there are stories that I hated, there are stories I refused to buy on principal alone but no comic single handedly damage a character like OMD damaged Spider-man. It is now decade plus of damage to the character and while I am finally ok with where Spidey is as a character, OMD really killed so much history of the character and did it in such a absolutely stupid way. That this story ever got green lit by anyone is just mind boggling. I will seriously never understand how marvel allowed their flagship character to essentially make a deal with the devil, I mean a divorce would have been bad for spidey but dealing with mephisto strikes against everything the character is. I seriously do not know that any story could damage a character more than OMD did.

Sins past was terrible but honestly at this point I don't even really mind it anymore. Clone Saga was a great idea with horrible execution and while he has been damaged as a character due to recent events Ben reilly was one of my favorite marvel characters for a long time so I find it hard to hate the clone saga all that much.
    I would agree with this order. Clone Saga is least offensive because of Ben and Kaine. Then is Sins Past. I actually like the title ( but hate the character assassination if Gwen and to a lesser extent MJ). I would actually put them ahead of Silk starting with ASM 1 ( That comic made me so angry I dropped comics until Dan Slott left the book). OMD/BND stands alone for the damage done to Pete and MJ and like Silk offers nothing of any redeeming factor for me.