Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Justice, Like Lightning - Thunderbolts Appreciation 2019

I figured this modern classic of a Marvel team deserved a thread of it's own. For the original Busiek run, the New Thunderbolts, Warren Ellis's Osborn-led squad in the era after Civil War, the Luke Cage era, the all-too-brief Bucky era, and all the others in between.

(Just not the Red Hulk version)

Extraordinary Member

Well, we can start with every member's last seen issue.

While checking out current issues of Rosenberg's Punisher, it was nice seeing Baron Zemo up to his old tricks. But if this is only temporary, then I'd welcome someone new taking up the mantle of Citizen V.

You guys might want to watch the latest Marvel Rising episode, Battle of the Bands. Gwen's band have a rival: Screaming Mimi and the Thunderbolts! Melissa appears throughout, but the others don't even get individually named or have any lines (looking at them, I think it's probably Atlas, Jolt, and Moonstone).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I miss this book so much.

Original team

Hawkbolts

Redeemers

American Eagle and Sepulchre

Skein

Ogre and Humus Sapien

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    You guys might want to watch the latest Marvel Rising episode, Battle of the Bands. Gwen's band have a rival: Screaming Mimi and the Thunderbolts! Melissa appears throughout, but the others don't even get individually named or have any lines (looking at them, I think it's probably Atlas, Jolt, and Moonstone).
    Teenage Atlas was one thing, but teen Moonstone/Meteorite was so weird.

(I assumed it was Jolt because I couldn't think of who else it could've been).

I really miss Songbird, I hope she comes back as a heroic character again. Technically she is the one character who should have moved on to the Avengers because she loved being a hero and putting her past behind her.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I really miss Songbird, I hope she comes back as a heroic character again. Technically she is the one character who should have moved on to the Avengers because she loved being a hero and putting her past behind her.
    Yeah, I hope Melissa makes a big comeback soon.

I wonder if a future episode of Rising will have Mimi reform and take on the Songbird identity?

As for the other band members, Jolt was obvious to me - looked Asian and had short hair, which matches her later comics appearance. Moonstone was the one who didn't look like herself... but yeah, she's the only other female original team member, so it must be her.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

It was unexpected seeing Atlas again, in the Giant-Man mini during War of the Realms, but yeah, I definitely want to see Songbird on an Avengers team again (or anywhere, really). Also Moonstone, up to her usual tricks, Atlas doing his best (and probably getting it wrong), and Mach V, making only slightly better choices than Atlas, but living with them.

And some of those characters who came later in the run, like Andreas von Strucker/the Swordsman, or Genis-Vell. I feel like a lot of great characters with interesting story potential kind of got left to lie fallow, when that first Thunderbolts run ended.

Still, Songbird's my number one choice to see again. Zemo and Moonstone and Techno/the Fixer can always come back around again from time to time to be adversaries (if not always 100% villains), but Songbird's the one who really broke free of her past and could soar into a brighter future.

I liked Jolt, in the day, and recognize her necessity from a narrative standpoint, but she's the one I miss least. All characters are a collection of tropes bundled together for ease of telling a story, but POV characters, to me, suffer the most from a case of 'I can see the wires, and it's taking me out of the story.'

I wish charcoal and jolt were still here.

So who are the Kingpin's Thunderbolts? Why have they come together now again? I am surprised that Moonstone is eager to do the "hero" thing again.

It feels strange to me that Zemo is just doing the same exact thing as the first time. You'd think people would be a little suspicious of a new team of Thunderbolts lead by an anonymous Citizen V...

Sunspot needs to beat him up, because he's undoing the good rep he brought to the name.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sunspot needs to beat him up, because he's undoing the good rep he brought to the name.
    I’d like to see Zemo vs Sunspot as well as having their own teams.
    Zemo’s Thunderbolts/MoE vs Sunspot’s team made up of New Mutants and the heroes he’s interacted with under Ewing + some former T-Bolts who want nothing to do with Zemo: Woo, Adam, Night Thrasher, Toni, Aikku, Cannonball, Songbird, Mach, Atlas, Masked Raider, Genis-Vell (return)

Quote Originally Posted by HipHopAvenger View Post
    I’d like to see Zemo vs Sunspot as well as having their own teams.
    Zemo’s Thunderbolts/MoE vs Sunspot’s team made up of New Mutants and the heroes he’s interacted with under Ewing + some former T-Bolts who want nothing to do with Zemo: Woo, Adam, Night Thrasher, Toni, Aikku, Cannonball, Songbird, Mach, Atlas, Masked Raider, Genis-Vell (return)
    Bingo! You just said the magic word.

If Genis-Vell is revived in a respectful manner and restored to his PAD version, then I'd happily read this story without any complaints.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-02-2019 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.