Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
I'm having trouble finding reliable sources, but I was previously told that there were supposedly a considerable amount of Germans who were visited by Nazi officials at their homes and ordered them to join the German army, if they didn't join, they would kill them and their families. To my understanding, there were also a considerable number of German soldiers who only fought on the battlefield and never even set foot inside the concentration camps to help slaughter the Jews, and if at some point a German soldier who previously didn't know later found out about the core horror of the camps after they had joined, and proceeded to resist and leave, the Nazis would kill said soldier since they were that malicious.

Again, I'm having trouble finding reliable sources and evidence on this, so I'm not sure what are the most reliable sources out there.
I'm sure that the Nazis used plenty of coercion to find warm bodies for the front lines, but from most of the available accounts, German soldiers were for the most part fully on board with the Nazi ideology and only distanced themselves from Hitler after they started losing battles. The army was perfectly happy to comply with all of Hitler's orders when things were going well for them, but after the tide had turned they needed a scapegoat to explain why they were getting whipped so badly.