52 49.06%
  • Hate it

50 47.17%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Default Bendis taking legion from clark

Do you like bendis taking legion from superman and giving it to jon?

They haven't really done anything with it with Clark for like the better part of the last 35 years. With the exception of the post-Secret Origin to Flashpoint, when was it used for anything? It didn't exist until Secret Origin and was introduced and immediately erased in the New 52 after Morrison. I do like Johns Legion arc of Action Comics, but that and Legion of Three Worlds are the only stories in the modern era that I can recall that actively used the connection. I have a hard time thinking what exactly it adds to Clark's character or background other than some adventures in the future, which he can still have in this set up. Really all it amounts to is essentially bragging rights to being the inspiration for the Legion.

Though generally I think the Legion works better with a Superboy, it seems like it's a good fit for Jon. yeah, I'm ok with it.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-31-2019 at 09:36 PM.

There's no option that's a step further than hate it, so we'll go with hate it. But yeah, easily the worst idea Bendis has had thus far, and it unfortunately happened to be a big one.

That the connection hasn't been used much in a long time is just evidence of DC's failing with it, as opposed to a justification to go backwards again after some writers in the past decade tried to fix the first time they had this bad idea.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-31-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I like Jon and would have no problem with him being in the Legion. I just hate everything about this set-up.

They can't give Superman a defined past that actually appeared on the page, but instead had to go with a vague hodge-podge of ideas from the last few timelines jumbled together along with some 10-year unseen period where he was a father. Now we get Jon being skipped ahead several years again off panel. So to top it off we get a Legion that isn't the same one we have read before, but with very similar replacement members. Yet one more attempt to make everything familiar but totally different- <YAWN>

And the whole scene with the Legion arriving seemed to be designed to undercut Superman. What exactly has Jon really done to make him memorable 1000 years from now? At least when if was young Clark we had been shown a decade of Superboy adventures and nearly two decades of Superman adventures that made it plausible he had that type of impact. Jon hasn't really done much of anything yet and the idea his offhanded comments are seen as the crucial moment on founding the UP seems forced. I'm not knocking Jon or what he has done, I'm knocking the lack of development they put into setting him up as surpassing his father's legend.

This would have worked better using the most recent Superman/Legion connections and having a new generation of the team come back from a few decades afterward looking to recruit Jon based on Clark's time with the original LSH. At least then Clark would know who they were and what sending Jon into their future might be like.

Right now Jon leaving with them makes the idea he was sent off with Jor-El seem sane in comparison. Now he is leaving with total strangers who claim to be heroes from the future. Based on the last time he left Lois and Clark, does this sound like something they'd approve of?

Mighty Member

Not forgetting that he is now after Clark and Conner the third Superboy who is in a kind of legion.

In Conners Case it was plausible because Barts mother and Barts cousin XS were also in the legion and so it was nice to see them.

Astonishing Member

I can't really be mad or anything I just think it's funny that no one wants anything to do with any of the relateable stuff that was created for Superman's Post-Crisis origin. No one wants to be a farmer, or QB of the football team, or prom king or any of that stuff. They want the good stuff, the time travelling childhood friends, Superboy, childhood adventures, a dog that flies with you, the full power set. Which makes me wonder if no one else wants any of this stuff that was forced onto Superman in the 80's why should Superman have to put up with it. His "relateable" childhood sucks and should be scrapped.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It totally blows and I hate it (as much as I can "hate" a story decision I dislike in a silly superhero comic lol).
    I don't know what the benefits are to this. Jon could easily just be the second/third Superboy to join the Legion (depending on whatever is happening with Kon) and it would be fine. But now the Legion is getting rebooted yet again, which continues to make them a cluttered joke, and Clark loses another bit of his lore and childhood to a supporting cast member who doesn't even need it.

I was ok with what Bendis was doing, even the Lois stuff (because at least we got Rucka's book out of it), but I think this may have soured me on the whole thing. Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait and hope for Hickman to be done with the X-Men and come over to DC to fix the Legion (and the Titans).

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That the connection hasn't been used much in a long time is just evidence of DC's failing with it, as opposed to a justification to go backwards again after some writers in the past decade tried to fix the first time they had this bad idea.
    Yeah some bad comics from the 80s doing this and establishing a trend that lasted for a long while doesn't mean the creative decisions are very sound, or that Superman and the Legion have really benefited from them. DC does stupid stuff all the time and sticks with it. Superman's world becomes smaller and less diverse, his childhood more boring, and the Legion getting cut off from Superboy and Supergirl got the ball rolling on all their insipid retcons and reboots.

Retired

I feel about Superboy (Clark Kent) the way I feel about Clara Oswald in DOCTOR WHO. I don't remember the Doctor's words exactly, but when Clara was taken away from him, even though he couldn't remember her, he said that you can still see the outline of the person by everyone and everything that surrounded their existence. There's so much of old school Superboy that's outlined by all that DC still retains, that he might as well exist, since he's the central persona that explains everything else around him.

I don't want either one of them as a member of the Legion. I like the Legion in their time, and each of our heroes in theirs.

I dislike this because it's just reducing Jon to a Clark-fill-in, in a narrative sense. It diminishes the character.

I really hate Jon being the inspiration (rather than Clark) and don't like him having the UP idea, either.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

At this point you have to laugh at whatever Doomsday Clock was supposed to be. The major plot gaffes and patchwork plots for the Superman line alone makes the idea of saving us from the New 52 ironic.

Clark and the Legion to me is just a thing about nostalgia. He's a forty year old man with his own setting and a JL membership, let someone else get a taste. I did like the idea of a play on Hook where Jack became the new Peter so to speak, but not taking this chance to do a new Legion and commit to it seems like a huge mistake based on advanced stage nostalgia. It's safe to say these franchises don't need more of a connection than we're getting here for a crack at notable success.

In the revolving IP door we know full well that Jon can literally be dead and gone within five or six years, so this helps. It was pretty inevitable after the aging that I initially found dreadful. It's almost back to being a narrative problem depending on next issue: Clark trusted his son with his own father and it turned out so rough, now these unknown faux hawkers want to take him a thousand years into the future. How well is Bendis going to work that? I came in here thinking the same thing as Superlad about his character arc since Man of Steel, but that's undercut by the fact that he's changed so dramatically isn't it? Like "finding a place where I fit in" doesn't mean what it should if you change to the point where you would have fit in anywhere in the first place.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I think it’s pretty ridiculous. It takes away a great part of Superman’s mythology. As Grant Morrison said “For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.” I loved the idea that Superman had friends from the future. They idolize him but he learns from them as well.

They easily could have had Jon go off with the LoS but kept Superman’s history with them. It makes no sense to erase that part of it. Clark allowing Jon to hang out with some of his best friends makes a lot more sense than Supes letting Jon and Lois travel to parts unknown with a deranged Jor El.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think it’s pretty ridiculous. It takes away a great part of Superman’s mythology. As Grant Morrison said “For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.” I loved the idea that Superman had friends from the future. They idolize him but he learns from them as well.

They easily could have had Jon go off with the LoS but kept Superman’s history with them. It makes no sense to erase that part of it. Clark allowing Jon to hang out with some of his best friends makes a lot more sense than Supes letting Jon and Lois travel to parts unknown with a deranged Jor El.
    They didn't have to age up jon, either to send him off.but they did it anyway. It doesn't help that bendis can't write jon. I mean, is there a age restriction for legion?

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I haven't read it, but it sound like DC continually tries to take everything away from Superman... He's not Earth's champion, he's not this or that. Your idea sounds like the best way to go, why complicate things so much? I'm not even a big Legion fan, but it sounds like a disservice to the character and his mystique...

Modern Superman writers don't know how to develop the character without taking his history away from him.

I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    There's no option that's a step further than hate it, so we'll go with hate it. But yeah, easily the worst idea Bendis has had thus far, and it unfortunately happened to be a big one.

^^^ This ^^^