106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it

4 3.77%
  • ok with it

52 49.06%
  • Hate it

50 47.17%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

I think it’s pretty ridiculous. It takes away a great part of Superman’s mythology. As Grant Morrison said “For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.” I loved the idea that Superman had friends from the future. They idolize him but he learns from them as well.

They easily could have had Jon go off with the LoS but kept Superman’s history with them. It makes no sense to erase that part of it. Clark allowing Jon to hang out with some of his best friends makes a lot more sense than Supes letting Jon and Lois travel to parts unknown with a deranged Jor El.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I think it’s pretty ridiculous. It takes away a great part of Superman’s mythology. As Grant Morrison said “For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.” I loved the idea that Superman had friends from the future. They idolize him but he learns from them as well.

They easily could have had Jon go off with the LoS but kept Superman’s history with them. It makes no sense to erase that part of it. Clark allowing Jon to hang out with some of his best friends makes a lot more sense than Supes letting Jon and Lois travel to parts unknown with a deranged Jor El.
    They didn't have to age up jon, either to send him off.but they did it anyway. It doesn't help that bendis can't write jon. I mean, is there a age restriction for legion?

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Okay, now I really hate this development after the events of Doomsday Clock issue 11. R.I.P Retro-Legion, DC screwed over your entire timeline....AGAIN.

Nonsense like this is one of the reasons why LOSH is no longer one of DC's premier titles, just imagine not only was LOSH was of the DC titles that still sold well during Marvel's dominance during the 70s and early 80s pre-COIE but it even outsold both Superman and Batman titles at one point.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Retired

The best thing would be a next generation Legion. That way Superman had adventures with a Legion when he was young--that he can hardly remember now, because Saturn Girl blocked him--and now his son has adventures with a new Legion. That allows the comics to start on a fresh page, but it creates some relationship drama between Clark and Jon. Which is relatable as fathers often see their sons going through the same sort of experiences they had, and it's one of those times when the father says, "well, when I was . . .," which bugs sons so much.

Quote Originally Posted by BBally View Post
    Okay, now I really hate this development after the events of Doomsday Clock issue 11. R.I.P Retro-Legion, DC screwed over your entire timeline....AGAIN.

Nonsense like this is one of the reasons why LOSH is no longer one of DC's premier titles, just imagine not only was LOSH was of the DC titles that still sold well during Marvel's dominance during the 70s and early 80s pre-COIE but it even outsold both Superman and Batman titles at one point.
    I wonder how long this new Legion will last. It'll be interesting to see how its sales go. I can be petty and say I hope it inevitably fails and does poorly, soooooo I will.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I wonder how long this new Legion will last.
    Hard to say. I very much doubt it'll be a big seller; the Legion hasn't had that kind of muscle in a very, very long time. But it seems like DC is serious about making them matter again (or Bendis is trying real hard anyway), so between the build-up in the Super titles and the Millennium thing, maybe the IP will build enough steam to be a mid-level seller.

Generally, it seems like the Legion manages to establish fairly loyal readers so if it's able to get a foot hold in the current market it *might* become a fairly stable seller, sort of like Nightwing and Titans in that they don't move huge numbers but are always consistent and reliable (as far as sales go, when DC isn't doing something stupid with them like they are with Nightwing right now).

Looking at the Legion's history over the last twenty-ish years I don't expect great things and the book probably won't last more than a few years. But thanks to digital and other, new distribution options, maybe it'll find an audience it couldn't in previous relaunches. Still, I'm not expecting much as far as sales go (especially the direct market, Legion's half dead in the water on arrival there, but the DM isn't the be-all, end-all anymore). The quality of the book might be good but its a competitive market and the Legion hasn't really mattered in decades.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Legion of Super-Heroes always survived by being one of those "not-quite-mainstream-not-quite-niche" titles that you occasionally get really, really good stories out of. I can't even remember the last time Superman was particularly relevant in Legion titles outside of Morrison's Action Comics run but this is still absolutely moronic. It's Bendis changing things just because he is Bendis. He's been a bad writer for a long time and he hasn't changed one bit.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Do you like bendis taking legion from superman and giving it to jon?
    I wish they would keep all four versions of the Legion around, and that adventures with the Legion are like a rite of passage for the superman family.

Superman has the silver age/pre zero hour Legion
    Connor has the post zero hour legion
    Supergirl has the Threeboot
    and now Jon has the Rebirth Legion.

They're from the future, so there's no telling which one is "real."

Retired

I have my own explanation for how all the Legions are "real"--so I'm not that bugged--but this new version doesn't have anything that's grabbing my attention, such that I'd want to read it. It makes me think of the threeboot Legion, which was my least favourite version up until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I haven't read it, but it sound like DC continually tries to take everything away from Superman... He's not Earth's champion, he's not this or that. Your idea sounds like the best way to go, why complicate things so much? I'm not even a big Legion fan, but it sounds like a disservice to the character and his mystique...

Whelp. Guess it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of Clark's connection to the legion anymore. Yikes. I'm not even a Legion fan and that hurt.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    They didn't have to age up jon, either to send him off.but they did it anyway. It doesn't help that bendis can't write jon. I mean, is there a age restriction for legion?
    My guess is that this way Jon can hook up with a reasonably close in age character as a love interest. Gotta manufacture that drama somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    My guess is that this way Jon can hook up with a reasonably close in age character as a love interest. Gotta manufacture that drama somehow.
    Wasn't it some nonsense about Bendis not liking to write young kids because he has young kids? Or am I confusing him for another writer who doesn't like kid heroes?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Wasn't it some nonsense about Bendis not liking to write young kids because he has young kids? Or am I confusing him for another writer who doesn't like kid heroes?
    I think that was Scott Snyder, who ironically, wrote an awesome kid Jon Kent in Justice League and introduced Jon's electric guitar playing hobby, which kind of really works for the character.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Pretty sure that's Scott Snyder.