4 3.77%
  • ok with it

52 49.06%
  • Hate it

50 47.17%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Do you like bendis taking legion from superman and giving it to jon?
    I don’t like that Lois one has lost her son. That what it feels like

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I honestly don’t get the thought process behind “we’re going to relaunch LoSH with a legitimate Superboy, son of Superman, that has had appearances in cartoons, a likely appearance in the most ambitious superhero television event ever, and costars in our young adult lineup of graphic novels which are the central focus of expanding our publishing framework for the future” all as some long con to erase him. Legitimately, in what world does that make sense?
    I genuinely don't see where people are coming from.

And this is something that could easily be corrected through miniseries which I still think it possible. It's narratively too rich to just leave sitting on a shelf. We still haven't heard of any of the second round of Wonder Comics titles beyond Naomi and the extensions of Wonder Twins and Dial H.
    Agreed. The space for it is still quite open.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-02-2019 at 09:01 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I honestly don’t get the thought process behind “we’re going to relaunch LoSH with a legitimate Superboy, son of Superman, that has had appearances in cartoons, a likely appearance in the most ambitious superhero television event ever, and costars in our young adult lineup of graphic novels which are the central focus of expanding our publishing framework for the future” all as some long con to erase him. Legitimately, in what world does that make sense?

Chris Kent was a plot device for one arc of a storyline. Jon’s going on four years and has been one of the driving narrative focus in Superman for the entire time and is launching a major push to reestablish a legacy series for DC Comics. But yeah, it’s all to ruin him and erase him.
    @bold These things you have mentioned have not become a reality. We don't know what season 4 will be about(timeskip and all) . Jon could end being just minor easter egg and that's it. And having baby jon in a tv crossover will have zero impact on the character's staying power. Nobody will be clamouring for jon afterwards so as to make him immune to erasure.

Let's be honest, dc management isn't exactly reliable when it comes to reboot. Whenever they get a chance they will hit that button. I wasn't even a little bit surprised that this rebooted legion is being pushed in an anti reboot narrative that was rebirth/doomsday clock. I mean, what happened to the notion of embracing the history of these characters and reforging forgotten relationships? At this point, DC is back to its old habits. So, chances of jon going the way other support cast have is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'm just hoping Jon (or Bendis) eventually remembers why the Titans told him no.
    The thing about that is, it never really matted to Jon as much as it seemed in the moment in Man of Steel. In issue 7 of Superman Jon can't even remember what story he told his parents to let him go into space, and when Clark reminds him it was the Teen Titans rejection, Job basically goes "ha! oh yeah." Jor-El gets to the root of the issue when he talking to Jon in issue 8, and we learn that it's more to do with the general pressure of one day being Superman and what people expect of him even now. Basically that plot point was already tied up.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Chris Kent wasn’t “supporting cast” he was a plot device for one storyline that stuck around longer because that storyline was delayed like 6 months.

Giving Superman and Lois a kid on YJ and in the Arrowverse isn’t something that happens on a whim. So to act like it’s not significant is disingenuous. And Super Sons is part of their young readers publishing line. A line that’s intended to bring in readers to the main universe and other lines. It actually makes sense to have a slightly older Jon in the line of books aimed at older readers with the younger Jon in the line that isn’t.

And again, there’s no evidence of any “reboot” coming other than fan anxiety and cynicism. They are planning on cleaning up the timeline and streamlining the DCU. Launching Legion with Jon is evidence that he’s not going anywhere in that process.

It actually makes sense to have a slightly older Jon in the line of books aimed at older readers with the younger Jon in the line that isn’t.
    Very similar to how Harley Quinn, Bruce, Catwoman, and Mera are all teens in that line of books, but are obviously adults in the main line. Same goes for Wonder Woman being peer in age to Batgirl and Supergirl in Super-Hero Girls.

Chris Kent wasn’t “supporting cast” he was a plot device for one storyline that stuck around longer because that storyline was delayed like 6 months.

Giving Superman and Lois a kid on YJ and in the Arrowverse isn’t something that happens on a whim. So to act like it’s not significant is disingenuous. And Super Sons is part of their young readers publishing line. A line that’s intended to bring in readers to the main universe and other lines. It actually makes sense to have a slightly older Jon in the line of books aimed at older readers with the younger Jon in the line that isn’t.

And again, there’s no evidence of any “reboot” coming other than fan anxiety and cynicism. They are planning on cleaning up the timeline and streamlining the DCU. Launching Legion with Jon is evidence that he’s not going anywhere in that process.
    Hey! I hope you are right. I thought snyder was planning a big crisis like event thing.anyways, i think we are of topic.

Well, on the one hand, it's not like I ever luved Superman's LoSH stories. For a long time, I liked Byrne's simplification of Superman's youth, and embraced the lack of Superboy shenanigans. So taking away Superman's LoSH days doesn't hit me that hard.

On the other hand, giving away Superman stories to another character does rub me the wrong way. And no, giving it to his son or other family member doesn't make it better; for an analogue, look at what happened with how Dragon Ball Z temporarily switched main characters from Goku to Gohan. I feel like there's been a several-year run on Superman where they've been telling Superman-like stories without actually featuring Superman in all sorts of media, and I just find the trend disappointing. I dunno, maybe they're bracing for 2033 when Supes becomes public domain, and will try to milk stories out of the characters they will own for longer periods...

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Well, on the one hand, it's not like I ever luved Superman's LoSH stories. For a long time, I liked Byrne's simplification of Superman's youth, and embraced the lack of Superboy shenanigans. So taking away Superman's LoSH days doesn't hit me that hard.

On the other hand, giving away Superman stories to another character does rub me the wrong way. And no, giving it to his son or other family member doesn't make it better; for an analogue, look at what happened with how Dragon Ball Z temporarily switched main characters from Goku to Gohan. I feel like there's been a several-year run on Superman where they've been telling Superman-like stories without actually featuring Superman in all sorts of media, and I just find the trend disappointing. I dunno, maybe they're bracing for 2033 when Supes becomes public domain, and will try to milk stories out of the characters they will own for longer periods...
    @bold It also doesn't help that, After that gohan's role was basically cut down to nothing. He is never allowed to shine now.gohan went from genius with most potential to a lazy pathetic fighter who can't hold a candle to his kidself(wow! I just realised Jon's age up and gohan's growth had a similar effect for me)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

The thought of just anyone touching Superman would give me sleepless nights for these 14 years if it also meant the Superman I grew up with. I don't want my imaginary friend falling into a dark pit of eyes and fangs.

Gohan got the short end by popular demand. Jon can be overturned in this way or that way, but I can't really see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Kuwagaton, I maintain that the only mistake with Jon's aging was the actual execution of issues 7-10, and how ill advised it was to impart that info in a truncated 4 issues. This being compounded by the fact that his experiences in space are directly responsible for the resolution of this whole arc. But conceptually I stand by it as we currently know it. The concept of the character arc is strong. It's a textbook hero's journey entrenched in Superman lore. Capping it off with inspiring the Legion and joining them is, in my opinion, quite powerful.

And again, I think a group of future teen heroes being inspired a young person just like them who got their voice and ideas heard on the largest stage possible is genuinely something powerful and true to life. If that's my trade off for no longer having the Legion as, and lets all be honest here, Superman dust accumulating trophy, then I'd good with it. He's still in a perfect position to go on adventures with them once in a while, so outside of just getting to say he used to be a member there's not much functional loss here.
    The fact that I would have plainly denied Bendis if I had the authority makes it fun as seeing a challenge for the creators to overcome, even if I've been tepid with his Superman since that arc. I don't think there's a lot of follow through on some details but this Legion thing will probably be the best he's done with the supporting cast imo. Clark is too old for the Legion and Jon as a character has it both ways: what we know about him qualifies for the Legion (even if I say not exclusively) which appeals to him, while the reasons they are drawn to him are completely flexible.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Make Lightning Lad ginger again.

Quote Originally Posted by Super_kon View Post
    If I’m correct, it’s now:
    Clark: original legion
    Kon-El: Zero hour Legion
    Kara: Threeboot legion
    Jon: Rebirth Legion?
    I didn't know about Kon-El being tied to Zero Hour Legion. I think Mon-El is also associated with Threeboot Legion.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 09-02-2019 at 10:19 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

The Dragon Ball comparison likes quite a bit of very well known behind the scenes context, and it and the Superman line are operating on two totally different narrative wavelengths. You can't appropriately compare Gohan taking center stage for a saga in the one and only running Dragon Ball manga/anime to Jon being the inspiration for this version of the Legion. One functionally writers out the former protagonist as the main focus of the show, and the other is a whole other franchise with close ties to the main.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The thing about that is, it never really matted to Jon as much as it seemed in the moment in Man of Steel. In issue 7 of Superman Jon can't even remember what story he told his parents to let him go into space, and when Clark reminds him it was the Teen Titans rejection, Job basically goes "ha! oh yeah." Jor-El gets to the root of the issue when he talking to Jon in issue 8, and we learn that it's more to do with the general pressure of one day being Superman and what people expect of him even now. Basically that plot point was already tied up.
    So he basically lied to his folks to get them to let him go into space....even though I'm pretty sure the real reason he wanted to go would have made them more understanding than "the big kids don't wanna play with me!". Oh well. Unnecessary fudging of the truth is pretty common for kids, anyway XD

Chris Kent was a plot device for one arc of a storyline. Jon’s going on four years and has been one of the driving narrative focus in Superman for the entire time and is launching a major push to reestablish a legacy series for DC Comics. But yeah, it’s all to ruin him and erase him.
    What guarantee is there that Legion will sell strong enough this time over the last few times? And then what happens to Jon? That's the issue.

And yes, Jon is popping up in other media. But that has little to no bearing on comics. Look at Dick Grayson and his generation. Extremely popular in Titans and Young Justice, but are being wiped out, one way or another, in the comics. So its not like there isn't precedent.

I'm just cutting off the argument that taking something away from Superman is either barely or not at all mitigated by keeping the story element within the family.

I guess it's better than making young Hal Jordan the 21st century JLA member as a LoSH, but not by a whole lot.