4 3.77%
  • ok with it

52 49.06%
  • Hate it

50 47.17%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That argument would make even injustice canon. It is also part of the hypertime metaverse.clark just doesn't remember his pregnant being beaten to death and his entire city getting nuked by basically at his hands.
    If one wanted to include that in there, I suppose, but since no one aside from Zack Snyder would ever consider doing that, I'm not too worried about it at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Related to that, in a comic that came out in the same month and is supposed to give us an overview of the next 1000 years leading up to the LSH and their era, it is established in continuity that Earth is going to have a Great Disaster, almost all humans are going to die (or be buried in stasis chambers or whatever happens to them), and anthropomorphic animals are going to rule the world, mainly using limited, old-style technology.

Where are the friends of Earth and its humans in the 1000-year glory days of the United Planets during all this? They just let it happen? They didn't try to help out? Is Great Disaster Earth still in the UP, or did the UP just turn their backs? I mean, we have two comics, practically simultaneous, both trying to set up the future history of the UP and the LSH, and they don't seem to have much to do with each other.
    It's not necessarily the same UP institutions nowadays and a thousand years in the future. Institutions evolves and adapt. And if Electric Warriors by Steve Orlando is still canon, it was implied there that Earth excluded itself from the galactic community either just before or as the Great Disaster started, so the rest of the UP had no reason to intervene - after all, it was even a great boon for the union, if it turned out weaker than expected at that time.

Look no further than the UE : if Brexit had been a success story of a country getting out of the UE seamlessly, with a progressive agenda creating jobs, green revolution and the like, it could have been devastating for the Union while the mess that is is now is a boon. Who would be able to go to their people and say that they'll move them out of the UE and it'll be great now ? The Great Disaster may have played the same role.

And if Electric Warrior is canon, the Up had devolved into a very corrupt organization at that time.

Also, as a side note, I wonder how Bendis Superman works with JLO, since in the latter, Tamaran is in the Ghost Sector and Blackfire is the Queen (as has been the case since New 52) while in action it seems her father still rule the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They haven't really done anything with it with Clark for like the better part of the last 35 years. With the exception of the post-Secret Origin to Flashpoint, when was it used for anything? It didn't exist until Secret Origin and was introduced and immediately erased in the New 52 after Morrison. I do like Johns Legion arc of Action Comics, but that and Legion of Three Worlds are the only stories in the modern era that I can recall that actively used the connection. I have a hard time thinking what exactly it adds to Clark's character or background other than some adventures in the future, which he can still have in this set up. Really all it amounts to is essentially bragging rights to being the inspiration for the Legion.

Though generally I think the Legion works better with a Superboy, it seems like it's a good fit for Jon. yeah, I'm ok with it.
    100%percent this.

I loved when Superboy was an active member in the Cockrum/Grell era of the 70's. THAT WAS ALSO 40 YEARS AGO!!!!
    Everything since then has been Pocket Universe Superboy (long enough to kill him), Conner-Superboy, Brief-Flashback-Clark-Superboy, Supergirl during the Threeboot, or Returning-as-an-adult Superboy. Is it really such a 360 degree turn to have Jon be the Legion's Superboy? I'm going to say no based on the precedent of the past 35-40 years.

While I don't love yet another LSH reboot (are we calling it the 4boot or the Bendisboot this time?), I'm giving it a try.
    It seems like a fresh take so far, although we haven't really gotten deep into any of the characters yet.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    100%percent this.

I loved when Superboy was an active member in the Cockrum/Grell era of the 70's. THAT WAS ALSO 40 YEARS AGO!!!!
    Everything since then has been Pocket Universe Superboy (long enough to kill him), Conner-Superboy, Brief-Flashback-Clark-Superboy, Supergirl during the Threeboot, or Returning-as-an-adult Superboy. Is it really such a 360 degree turn to have Jon be the Legion's Superboy? I'm going to say no based on the precedent of the past 35-40 years.
    No, Clark's not losing anything he hadn't already lost. Even when the Legion has been included in his origin since COIE it's almost never mentioned or used.

But I think removing the concept from his story was a mistake, and I'm not a fan of doubling down and repeating mistakes. I'd rather fix the original problem and put the Legion back where they belong while also having Jon join the group in the present day (spin the details how you like), than just say "Well, they kicked the Legion outta the story when they dumped all the other fantastical stuff so let's just keep rolling with that."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah, honestly. I'm not sure why Jon being in some kind of next generation Legion had to mean that Clark not only loses his, but we had to actually see them be erased from existence. That's just mean spirited.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Yeah, honestly. I'm not sure why Jon being in some kind of next generation Legion had to mean that Clark not only loses his, but we had to actually see them be erased from existence. That's just mean spirited.
    Just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing it was less related to Jon and more related to editorial NOT wanting a secret past for Clark as Superboy.

After COIE, one of the bigger changes was that Superman had never been Superboy. This resulted in the creation of the Pocket Universe Superboy to fill the back-history. The fairly recent Geoff Johns retcon created a secret past for Clark as Superboy - but only when he was with the Legion. That retcon was never really followed up on (much), so didn't stick. Personally I liked it because it allowed for much of the Legion history that we knew to remain intact.

In the absence of Superman's past as Superboy (assuming that's what Editorial wanted), by default Jon becomes the Legion's first Superboy. Looking at it the way, Clark wasn't forced out of the Legion BECAUSE of Jon, but rather in the absence of Clark Jon fills the role.
    Again, just my own speculation.