Question Does every X-men creator have bad history with Marvel?

I was reading a Berry Windsor Smith comic,(X-men 205!) and wondered what happened to him and it seemed that he had a falling out with Marvel and more or less quit comics. This seems to be the norm, and although I know it's not exclusively with Marvel, I'm wondering if there is anyone they haven't burned bridges with. I know when Dave Corkum had to ask for financial help for his medical bills there was a bit of controversy surrounding Marvel then. But a lot of other creators have their own personal negative history with how they were treated. Jack Kirby, Steve Ditko, Paul Smith, Len Wein, Buscema, Romita, Gene Colan, John Byrne, etc. Chris Claremont seems to be the only one who is still on speaking terms with Marvel. I'm not saying it's an entirely black and white situation, but when so many creators who had done so much significant work stop working it, it seems like something could have or should have been done.

Has Marvel made any attempts to reconcile their relationships with these creators?
    As great as Hero Initiative is, it feels like a charity that shouldn't have to exist in the first place.

Here's some articles/ info I found They were not hard to find)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/09/g...their-own.html
    https://www.wired.com/2012/05/hero-initiative/
    https://www.heroinitiative.org/comic-creators-need/
    https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/rock...ator-gofundme/
    https://www.cbr.com/gene-colan-is-still-invincible/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...artist/498299/
    https://www.comicsbeat.com/comics-cr...r-in-michigan/
    https://www.cracked.com/blog/3-famou...cally-screwed/
    https://comicsalliance.com/comic-boo...ero-initiativ/

BANNED

John Byrne's Real Life X-Men
    The Famous Faces Behind Marvel Comics' Mutants

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

You're probably forgetting the most famous: Morrison; he straight up left Marvel after X-Men because of editorial meddling.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It depends on the creator. Claremont left cuz he fell out with Harras (?) but he collaborated with Marvel regularly.
    That guy who had Angel bone Husk in front of Mrs. Guthrie left comics cuz he was declared bad by both DC and Marvel buyers.
    Liefield and Jim Lee left cuz of editorial too but they come back once in a while like with Heroes Reborn.
    Not sure why Lobdell broke up with Marvel.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    You're probably forgetting the most famous: Morrison; he straight up left Marvel after X-Men because of editorial meddling.
    Hm, I'd never heard this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    It depends on the creator. Claremont left cuz he fell out with Harras (?) but he collaborated with Marvel regularly.
    That guy who had Angel bone Husk in front of Mrs. Guthrie left comics cuz he was declared bad by both DC and Marvel buyers.
    Liefield and Jim Lee left cuz of editorial too but they come back once in a while like with Heroes Reborn.
    Not sure why Lobdell broke up with Marvel.
    Was editorial not also the reason for Lobdell?

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasmineW View Post
    Was editorial not also the reason for Lobdell?
    Bob Harras (editor at DC now, but Marvel during the 90s) thinks very highly of Lobdell, so maybe re-starting that relationship at DC was easier than Nu-Marvel of 2000-2004 (who pretty much indicated they weren't keen on him by replacing him several times on books)

Incredible Member Gotham citizen's Avatar

In the first half of the nineties all the X-creators left Marvel in bad terms: Claremont, Lee, Portacio, Silvestri, David, Lobdel, Nicieza, Liefield and no one of return permanently to Marvel. There were editorial problem, but I'm starting to think it wasn't a problem with Harras, but with the Marvel owner (I don't remember who was), in fact after some years all of them worked again with Harras.

Seagle & kelly left X-Men too because of too much editorial decisions :

Why Kelly and Seagle left
    X-Men writer Joe Kelly commented on the change of direction and why he left the book in Wizard #90: “If somebody told me from Day One, “We’re going to work out the story and hand it to you, and you just plot it and dialogue it,” I’d have no problem with that, because it’s very up-front. When that evolves over time, it becomes frustrating.”

“Joe (Kelly) and I, along with (editor) Mark Powers, proceeded to produce two detailed, yearlong plans for the two X-books which were filled with interesting stories, sweeping long-range character arcs, shorter stories, one summer “big event” crossover, and enough marketing spikes to make any retailer happy without irritating the fans,” Uncanny X-Men writer Steve Seagle added in Wizard #90. “I was led to believe this plan had been accepted, and proceeded to start laying in the threads of these stories in the issues I was writing. Then all four tires blew out from under our wagonload of good stuff.”

“You never know what it is, but (Editor-In Chief) Bob (Harras) was answering to other people and this was a chaotic time at Marvel,” Seagle continued. “Certainly the redirected lineup – which neither Joe nor I were too happy about – I don’t think that came directly from editorial. I think that came from outside forces, whatever they may be – marketing or people above Bob, or who knows what.”

“Steve and I had a cool, magic thing going, but it wasn’t the kind of magic they were looking for, so what you get is something that falls in between their vision and our vision,” Joe Kelly added. “One of the things we definitely were going to do was split the books up and give each one a definite agenda. My team was going to include Beast running the school with the younger team members – Cannonball, the new guys, and maybe Kitty Pryde. Steve would take the ‘70s X-Men, which would be more active, with a more focused agenda. Cyclops was going to lead that team, with a very clear dream that was different from Xavier’s.”

“It really started to get troubling when the one character Joe and I both wanted in the book, which was Phoenix, (was something) we really fought for and we were basically told, “No,”” Seagle revealed.

“Phoenix had started expanding her powers,” Kelly added, “and there were going to be characters who had been watching since the Phoenix saga to see if the Phoenix force would return.”

Source : http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot...tions.html?m=1

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I will never forget. As a New X-Men fan. Morrison was really upset because Marvel would not let him use flash backs... Too much editorial control.
    Last edited by franckd; 03-11-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Oh, well that somewhat explains why reading Claremont's FF was like having my soul sucked out of me.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by franckd View Post
    Seagle & kelly left X-Men too because of too much editorial decisions :

Why Kelly and Seagle left
    X-Men writer Joe Kelly commented on the change of direction and why he left the book in Wizard #90: “If somebody told me from Day One, “We’re going to work out the story and hand it to you, and you just plot it and dialogue it,” I’d have no problem with that, because it’s very up-front. When that evolves over time, it becomes frustrating.”

“Joe (Kelly) and I, along with (editor) Mark Powers, proceeded to produce two detailed, yearlong plans for the two X-books which were filled with interesting stories, sweeping long-range character arcs, shorter stories, one summer “big event” crossover, and enough marketing spikes to make any retailer happy without irritating the fans,” Uncanny X-Men writer Steve Seagle added in Wizard #90. “I was led to believe this plan had been accepted, and proceeded to start laying in the threads of these stories in the issues I was writing. Then all four tires blew out from under our wagonload of good stuff.”

“You never know what it is, but (Editor-In Chief) Bob (Harras) was answering to other people and this was a chaotic time at Marvel,” Seagle continued. “Certainly the redirected lineup – which neither Joe nor I were too happy about – I don’t think that came directly from editorial. I think that came from outside forces, whatever they may be – marketing or people above Bob, or who knows what.”

“Steve and I had a cool, magic thing going, but it wasn’t the kind of magic they were looking for, so what you get is something that falls in between their vision and our vision,” Joe Kelly added. “One of the things we definitely were going to do was split the books up and give each one a definite agenda. My team was going to include Beast running the school with the younger team members – Cannonball, the new guys, and maybe Kitty Pryde. Steve would take the ‘70s X-Men, which would be more active, with a more focused agenda. Cyclops was going to lead that team, with a very clear dream that was different from Xavier’s.”

“It really started to get troubling when the one character Joe and I both wanted in the book, which was Phoenix, (was something) we really fought for and we were basically told, “No,”” Seagle revealed.

“Phoenix had started expanding her powers,” Kelly added, “and there were going to be characters who had been watching since the Phoenix saga to see if the Phoenix force would return.”

Source : http://secretsbehindthexmen.blogspot...tions.html?m=1

I will never forget. As a New X-Men fan. Morrison was really upset because Marvel would not let him use flash backs... Too much editorial control.
    Harras pls.

First he complained about Claremont turning the X-Men into the Avengers then when the young'uns come up with fresh ideas he shoots them down.
    "Cable was right!"

if we're talking 90's creators that's understandable. X-Men (and Spider-Man, and Batman for DC) were THE books that carried the industry. Why would a writer want to give up a top billing gig if things are going well - simple, they for the most part wouldn't. So that in of itself means they had reasons to leave or were forced out, all of which would result in bad blood. Past the 90's though is a different story. Austen deserved to be exiled. Morrison is a little trickier. Most of the other X-writers have simply swapped jobs at Marvel, though so carried over to DC. Then you have Mike Carey who I think left on fairly amicable terms?

How is this different from every other job? Things can be amicable when you leave on your own terms, and not-so-amicable when you don't.