Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Default Even I know my DC opinion is nuts, but I cling to it with no shame!

Superman should never have gone beyond Toon-YJ-Superboy's levels of power.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    LOL!

Because kryptonite should not be the only challenge Superman has to face.

That's an interesting opinion.

I personnaly think his power levels are not that important, the writing makes all.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Yet, flash can outrun light or anything really . Diana can become a godess. Manhunter can do all that crazy stuff. Batman can be batgod...etc

Stop depowering "super" man. If these are all exceptable to you and somehow superman's powerlevel is the only thing that you have problem with. Then it might not be superman's power that is the problem. Problem is superman isn't for you and you hate superman beating any of your favourite characters.

Flash gets more broken and broken and his powers have gone unchecked by anyone for awhile
    He is more than due for a bit of a depowering

Superman is bad too but the more crazy stuff he does the more his fans feel he is being written badly when he isn't portrayed as a walking god

Green Lantern is pretty weak because a lot of writers lack imagination to use his powers creatively outside of lasers and constructs

Wonder Woman is really pretty weak all things considered, She is only a good fighter she is not really as strong as Supes or as fast as Flash. All she excels at is being a warrior

Not quite the same as the YJ Superboy level of the character, but having read so many Superman stories in the decades I have been reading comics, my favorite version is the Siegel and Shuster hero of the first 2-3 years of Action Comics and Superman (and to an extent the Fleischer cartoons), and I think all of the post-radio show accretions to the mythos (powers, attitudes, kryptonite, etc.) have lessened the characters's core by watering down the central element that is Superman and robbed the character of the very soul that caused it to resonate with audiences so well. For me, they are barnacles on the hull of what is a great character that clutter the character, and think it is a very real case where less was more with the character. But I know I am by far in the minority on that view. I think all the additions are more distraction and dilution than value added benefits to the character. At times, great writing has made more modern versions of Superman interesting, but for me that is in spite of all the additions over the years, not because of them, and the stripped down original core of the character is what houses the appeal of Superman for me.

-M
    Last edited by MRP; 09-01-2019 at 11:25 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

*Sigh*

Pistols at dawn, good sir.

Mighty Member

What about WW, Martian Manhunter, Shazam than?

Ultimate Member

For a science-fictiony alien from an advanced civilization, Superman's level of strength has always felt a little weird to me. Someone like Wonder Woman, or Captain Marvel/Shazam, having world-shaking levels of strength only apes the mythical strength of Atlas or Hercules, holding the literal weight of the world on their shoulders, and I'm a tad more comfortable with that, since it has precedent. But someone having the strength to lift a planet because they grew up on Krypton? What kind of gravity did they have on that planet, anyway, and why wasn't it a black hole already?

That said, I don't mind as much. The scales go to 11 here. I remember reading as a kid a book where the Specter and a villain of his, Wotan, I think, were *literally* throwing planets at each other. Sure, it's silly, but whatever. It's comics. It doesn't have to make sense. I do like characters to have narratively usable power levels (or weaknesses or limitations that keeps them able to be challenged), and the easiest way to do that is limited or 'realistic' power levels, but that's not the only option, and some characters are just meant to past those usual limits.

If anything, the only 'problem' I have with Superman's power level is that it invites threats that somehow conveniently equal or exceed his power level whenever he's on the Justice League (which must *suck* for everyone who is stuck several orders of magnitude lower on the power scale, like Black Canary or Hawkman). It seems like his presence on a book forces the writer to introduce Superman-level threats every issue, and if the universe is so darn full of Superman level threats, then Superman himself feels that much less special and awesome...

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    For a science-fictiony alien from an advanced civilization, Superman's level of strength has always felt a little weird to me. Someone like Wonder Woman, or Captain Marvel/Shazam, having world-shaking levels of strength only apes the mythical strength of Atlas or Hercules, holding the literal weight of the world on their shoulders, and I'm a tad more comfortable with that, since it has precedent. But someone having the strength to lift a planet because they grew up on Krypton? What kind of gravity did they have on that planet, anyway, and why wasn't it a black hole already?

That said, I don't mind as much. The scales go to 11 here. I remember reading as a kid a book where the Specter and a villain of his, Wotan, I think, were *literally* throwing planets at each other. Sure, it's silly, but whatever. It's comics. It doesn't have to make sense. I do like characters to have narratively usable power levels (or weaknesses or limitations that keeps them able to be challenged), and the easiest way to do that is limited or 'realistic' power levels, but that's not the only option, and some characters are just meant to past those usual limits.

If anything, the only 'problem' I have with Superman's power level is that it invites threats that somehow conveniently equal or exceed his power level whenever he's on the Justice League (which must *suck* for everyone who is stuck several orders of magnitude lower on the power scale, like Black Canary or Hawkman). It seems like his presence on a book forces the writer to introduce Superman-level threats every issue, and if the universe is so darn full of Superman level threats, then Superman himself feels that much less special and awesome...
    Fine call kryptonIan an extension or cousins of gods. Would that change anything?for me, no. Alien from a harsher planet explanation was always a lip service. It has always been the story about a man doing the impossible against inconceivable odds.It's like asking why the hulk beats gods, when he is only a product of an accident in human world.
    As for team book, not everyone should be on the same mission. Justice league unlimited did it best. Teams, are taken according to availability, skill needed for the mission.. Etc. Have manhunter coordinate it.

Did we need an entire thread for this? There is already a controversial opinions thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Flash gets more broken and broken and his powers have gone unchecked by anyone for awhile
    He is more than due for a bit of a depowering

Superman is bad too but the more crazy stuff he does the more his fans feel he is being written badly when he isn't portrayed as a walking god

Green Lantern is pretty weak because a lot of writers lack imagination to use his powers creatively outside of lasers and constructs

Wonder Woman is really pretty weak all things considered, She is only a good fighter she is not really as strong as Supes or as fast as Flash. All she excels at is being a warrior
    Not being as strong as Supetman (and even this may vary) is not being weak.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

See... the problem with all these powers is we look at it from the point of view of threats. Heroes vs Villain or Heroes vs Heroes. If the heroes are too strong how are the villains going to be a threat? So it's either making the villain overpowered so they'll become a threat for Superman, or depowering Superman, all came because we're thinking about them as a fighting game.

But once upon a time, and sometimes still, the story of Superman isn't about beating a villain, it's about saving people, helping people. His super flight and super speed facilitate that, making him able to solve any human problem. The villains came later.

So... change the story? Make it less about fighting?

The problem here is about how writer uses superman. Morrison did a fine work with him on Justice League. Sure you had battles against Angels and Sun-Eaters. But you also have Prometheus or the Ultra Marines who are much more human.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Yet, flash can outrun light or anything really . Diana can become a godess. Manhunter can do all that crazy stuff. Batman can be batgod...etc

Stop depowering "super" man. If these are all exceptable to you and somehow superman's powerlevel is the only thing that you have problem with. Then it might not be superman's power that is the problem. Problem is superman isn't for you and you hate superman beating any of your favourite characters.
    I'd dial them all back a bit. Including the Batgod.