Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    *Sigh*

Pistols at dawn, good sir.
    The time has come, DrNewGod. I'm calling you out for your slander against the Man of Steel! Draw!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    The time has come, DrNewGod. I'm calling you out for your slander against the Man of Steel! Draw!
    Were I not a craven coward, hiding behind the internet, I should most vigorously accommodate you sir! Alas, reality intrudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    That's an interesting opinion.

I personnaly think his power levels are not that important, the writing makes all.
    I echo this notion.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Did we need an entire thread for this? There is already a controversial opinions thread...
    The distinction I see is that (IMO) The Controversial Opinion Thread is for the feasible, but unlikely. I posed this starting question from a standpoint of Nobody In Their Right Mind Would Ever Allow...But It's What I Want!

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Jacket View Post
    That's an interesting opinion.

I personnaly think his power levels are not that important, the writing makes all.
    I agree.
    However, I think comics and the characters are measured more by their physical confrontations these days, rather than any inventive storytelling.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Boisterously Confused

If we want to do Legacies, Batman should be an organization, not a man. And I don't mean Batman Inc. I mean, Bruce, Dick and Tim all wear the cape and cowl at different times (but never all at once). Batman is not a person (in this case), hes an action alias ala the Checkmate Knights.

Dick and Tim still keep their Nightwing and Red Robin identities, but only when they're not executing Batman missions.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Superman should never have gone beyond Toon-YJ-Superboy's levels of power.
    It's not. You can punch really hard.

In fact, punching him really hard is how he died.

If we want to do Legacies, Batman should be an organization, not a man. And I don't mean Batman Inc. I mean, Bruce, Dick and Tim all wear the cape and cowl at different times (but never all at once). Batman is not a person (in this case), hes an action alias ala the Checkmate Knights.

Dick and Tim still keep their Nightwing and Red Robin identities, but only when they're not executing Batman missions.
    ..............F%&k, that's actually really cool as a concept in and of itself.

Basically Snyder's Batman Maker Thing-y (I believe that's the technical term for it) but as an organization.

At the very least you've got a really strong "Ultimate" take on Batman here.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 09-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    It's not. You can punch really hard.

In fact, punching him really hard is how he died.
    How'd that work out again?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

How'd that work out again?
    He died.

I mean, he came back, yeah, but he's not suddenly immune to punches.

Jason came back too, but I'd bet good money you could bludgeon him to death again.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

You're in good company - Charles Schulz agreed with that sentiment. He thought Superman flying was going too far.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    He died.

I mean, he came back, yeah, but he's not suddenly immune to punches.

Jason came back too, but I'd bet good money you could bludgeon him to death again.
    Jason had a Lazarus Pit+A Superboy Punch. Superman had a Sunlight Chamber. Not the same thing.

(okay. it is, but there's a matter of scale)

I think there's a lot of merit to the idea of a heavily scaled down Superman, but the problem is that if you scale him down, you have to scale down the whole DCU.

You shouldn't make Superman merely "two or three times as strong as Hugo Danner" and then put him on a team with a Flash that can run around the entire planet in as much time as it takes to throw a punch, or a Green Lantern Corps with 7200 members, all of whom can fly through a vacuum with only their rings. You have to have a similar limit imposed on GL, Flash, Wonder Woman, and even Batman! The max speed of the the Flash would be something like YJ's Wally! And he's not even the fastest Kid Flash in YJ.

I remember thinking that Early New 52 Superman, with all his Golden Age styles and themes, would fit well into the short lived "First Wave" universe, but of course because of... well to be honest, because of both the nature of the New 52 itself and the kind of writer Grant Morrison is to begin with, it was inevitable that that Superman would quickly evolve into a figure on par with his Bronze Age self in terms of physical strength and speed. And I'm, you know, mostly okay with that! But a hypothetical version of the t-shirt Superman who hangs out with the gun-toting First Wave Batman would be really interesting to me. And add in a really scaled down JSA, and well, I think a pulpier DCU line would be cool to read about.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Despite my dislike of the New 52 Superman as a whole, I do agree that the Superman in Morrison's run would be excellent in stark contrast to the First Wave universe. Add in a pulpy JSA and, man oh man, I wish I was reading that.

Astonishing Member

I just wonder if you could write an ongoing pulpier DCU or if like prior attempts to depower characters it would just be a constant battle with the collective memory of the DCU. We have a Superman who can leap tall buildings, but have to keep reminding the creative teams on Justice League he can't fly into space. We get a Flash who can run at Mach speeds but have to keep reminding everyone it means he can't reach everywhere on Earth in a blink. We start off with a Batman who is a bad-ass normal but keep getting arguments about how Bruce could adapt some technology to match Superman or Wonder Woman's stats,

I personally would love to read stories in a world where the heroes individually were only powerful enough to defend at most a single city. Something like the League would actually be needed for the foes who threatened say Los Angeles and New York simultaneously. But I fear that maybe two years into such a line we'd have Flash and Superman racing from New York to Washington before a villain finished a sentence or Batman going toe-to-toe with Kryptonians using prototype Wayne technology.

It's your opinion so you're free to feel that way, personally I don't agree. YJ Con level is a little too weak for me, he doesn't have to be god but he doesn't have to be weak either.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8