Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

It is hard sometimes. If I loved something before I found out I will probably still love it, but feel a little bad about. On the other hand I will not support anything they do afterwards. I still love something like The Usual Suspects, but I will never buy a ticket or buy a movie with Kevin Spacey in it again.

Incredible Member

Gerard Jones is a prime example for me of someone that even looking at something he'd written before (there's a What If issue featuring Shard he did I've loved since it came out) it taints rereading it given the association.

I've had people block me on social media and decided to not support their work anymore (I have an incomplete collection of the comic Girls to back that up). My mindset being that if you're going to write me off that quickly and easily I'll do the same.

There's certain writers where I'm selective based on their politics, which is to say I don't think Nick Spencer handles politic heavy stories well, so if he's writing something more action oriented like his Ultimate X-Men or Secret Avengers stuff, I'm more inclined to give that a shot.

And there's writers who I see as having toxic social views where I've no desire to line their pockets.

What I'm really more concerned with is boosting the creators I do have an interest in the work of, like Bryan Edward Hill, Jody Houser, Rebekah Isaacs, Sean Gordon Murphy, Terry Moore, Jamal Campbell, Black Northcott, Josh Howard, Peter David, Jonathan Jickman, Chynna Clugston and Matt Wagner. I think it's important to say hey, I consider these peoples work quality, check out there stuff, see if you agree.

Depends on the art I guess. I'm a big Lovecraft fan, and I don't think you can separate his view from the work. His views aren't always as baked into the concept as they are in The Horror At Red Hook, but his cosmic dread always still points to general xenophobia and someone writing about their world being stripped away by outside forces that are indifferent to them.

Honestly, it's not really surprising that a lot of media seems to be borrowing elements of Lovecraftian myth right now. Things like the internet, competing ideology regarding diversity, "PC-Culture", and general modern anxiety really lend to creating an atmosphere of creeping dread that lets people attribute general malignancy to people they feel "othered" by or towards.

I'm especially into recent efforts to offer rebuttal to Lovecraft in works like Lovecraft Country and The Ballad of Black Tom.

I think exploring the burning of Tulsa through the lens of cosmic horror was a brilliant move in Lovecraft Country.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 09-17-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

For me, I draw the line at actions rather than words. I'll disagree with artists all day on their politics, thoughts about Brexit, beliefs in the Moon God of Arthikan and opinions about the efficacy of foil masks in keeping the Illuninati away. But if they abuse women or are a pedophile - thats a nope from me. I'll burn your crap, man.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Conch22 View Post
    I've had people block me on social media and decided to not support their work anymore (I have an incomplete collection of the comic Girls to back that up). My mindset being that if you're going to write me off that quickly and easily I'll do the same.
    Ah yes. Kelly Thompson was incredibly rude to me in one thread on CSBG (calling me a liar, but masking it behind the excuse of "I FEEL you're a liar" and accusing me of having issues with women). I'd be very hesitant to read anything of hers now.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Ah yes. Kelly Thompson was incredibly rude to me in one thread on CSBG (calling me a liar, but masking it behind the excuse of "I FEEL you're a liar" and accusing me of having issues with women). I'd be very hesitant to read anything of hers now.
    That's very disappointing for me to hear, particularly as I cited her as an example of a creator that does quality work and seems to not trash fans, in a private FB group awhile back. You've got your pride, you don't need to support someone who trashes you. Good for you

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

There's also Len Lawson, who's one of the most heinous cases I've heard of a comic book artist turning criminal: https://www.lambiek.net/artists/l/lawson_len.htm

For me it comes down to "will this person benefit financially, even if its a miniscule amount" by my consumption of their product. If so then I don't view it / read it / etc in a way that will benefit them - I'll get it from the library, I'll pirate it, or I'll just not view it / read it.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't support Neil Gaiman's books anymore. I used to be a big fan, but I find it odd that he writes so much about other people's beliefs, mythologies and religions, with so much frankness, yet he never writes about the belief system of his rich family--what gave him his fancy education and privilege to learn all the stuff he puts into his writing.

I can see why he's afraid to do that--because it could hurt him and his kids--but he's given so much credit for being brave and honest in his writing, all the while being mysterious about the experiences that matter the most to him and shaped him as a writer. I just don't trust that what he's writing is actually what he thinks, because he's so opaque about his real life history.

That's the only comic writer I can think of where I let his personal life affect my view of his art. But that's because it's too difficult to separate one from the other. If he was a different kind of writer, maybe I wouldn't care.
    Heh. If I were in the limelight, I would be as mum as possible about my private life. As for avoiding a creator's product, I don't believe I have ever thought about doing that for someone like that. For me to shun a talent, he or she wold have to be a pretty reprehensible person and/or someone who actively ridicules my own beliefs.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I watched Roman Polanski's film The Pianist which won three Oscars including Best Director. It was a great film, so great I separated the art from the artist .

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't support Neil Gaiman's books anymore. I used to be a big fan, but I find it odd that he writes so much about other people's beliefs, mythologies and religions, with so much frankness, yet he never writes about the belief system of his rich family--what gave him his fancy education and privilege to learn all the stuff he puts into his writing.

I can see why he's afraid to do that--because it could hurt him and his kids--but he's given so much credit for being brave and honest in his writing, all the while being mysterious about the experiences that matter the most to him and shaped him as a writer. I just don't trust that what he's writing is actually what he thinks, because he's so opaque about his real life history.

That's the only comic writer I can think of where I let his personal life affect my view of his art. But that's because it's too difficult to separate one from the other. If he was a different kind of writer, maybe I wouldn't care.
    That is a strange complaint. Since when does an author owe us anything about his private life and family? They owe us the best work they can give us, period. There are wonderful authors who write under pseudonyms, who cares?
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!