Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    It's not one or the other, it can be and has been both...
    Spidey has always made silly pop culture reference quips.

That example is still him cutting against his opponent and doesn’t feel unnecessary or forced.t
    ... while making silly pop culture reference.
    That's specifically why I chose it, it's both! Silly pop culture reference and quip against his opponent.

Hence my point to you, it's not one or the other, as you describe and your thread implies.
    He can and has always done both!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    And could alwaysd be hysterically self-deprecating too.

Also LOL "Star Wars 2".
    1978, It didn't have a name yet!
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-02-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Amazing Member

Deadpool fans basically have the same dilemma.
    In the old Kelly/Priest runs, while a comic relief character, Deadpool has always had a subtle dramatic, even tragic, undertone.

I think the same goes for Spider-Man. Even when he tries to add some levity to tragic situations, you usually can feel the true inner feeling of the character.
    In more recent stories quips are made just as jokes and nothing more. They are not the reaction to traumatic experiences or to soft up a dire situation or a distraction for enemies.
    Humor, when done well, adds incredible depth. When it's done the modern way, for the most part, comes out immature and self-contained.

The only time where Spider-Man himself was the funniest thing about his book was in Ultimate. The dude referenced That's So Raven in 2019.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Jon Stewart's type of humor

I think the best uses of Spidey pop culture references are when they are in favour of another punchline with the villains. One of my favourite recent examples is the moment from Spider-Man PS4 when he's fighting Vulture & Electro where's he's all "Yo Adrian!" to Toomes, and then a bit later Electro comments with an "I must break you" in which Peter overly reacts with a "You did it you got my joke! I'm so happy I could almost stop fighting!"

I do think the best Spidey quips are the ones that usually involve some kind of back and forth with him and the villain, rather than him just rambling to himself. Another favourite example of mine from Spectacular:
    *throws cone on Rhino's horn*
    "Woo! I got the thing on the thing! What do I win?"
    "YOU!"
    "Me? Now that just doesn't make any sense"

Vulture's total confusion makes the Rocky joke the second best Spider-Man joke ever after "...Is because I'm black."
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I think the best uses of Spidey pop culture references are when they are in favour of another punchline with the villains. One of my favourite recent examples is the moment from Spider-Man PS4 when he's fighting Vulture & Electro where's he's all "Yo Adrian!" to Toomes, and then a bit later Electro comments with an "I must break you" in which Peter overly reacts with a "You did it you got my joke! I'm so happy I could almost stop fighting!"

I do think the best Spidey quips are the ones that usually involve some kind of back and forth with him and the villain, rather than him just rambling to himself. Another favourite example of mine from Spectacular:
    *throws cone on Rhino's horn*
    "Woo! I got the thing on the thing! What do I win?"
    "YOU!"
    "Me? Now that just doesn't make any sense"
    I loved the dialogue between Spider-Man and Tombstone in the PS4 game. That's a case where you want the boss fight to last long just for the banter. The chemistry between them was great because Tombstone matched Spidey and gave as good as he got. That bit where Spider-Man on complimenting Tombstone's abilities as a chef said he should have started a soup kitchen rather than become a drug lord and Tombstone said, "I will, just as soon as it pays better."

Speaking of pop culture references, one of the most famous and iconic has to be Michelinie's Venom when he and Spidey first met, "Won't you be my? Could you be me neighbor?"

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    The only time where Spider-Man himself was the funniest thing about his book was in Ultimate. The dude referenced That's So Raven in 2019.
    I think ideally Spidey should probably be the most consistently funny thing in his own book, give or take Jonah being Jonah or Mary Jane providing some classic and well-timed sass, or even the occasional Aunt May gag that's genuinely funny.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Spider-Man's jokes are best when they annoy the enemy.
    Spider-Man's can joke and banter well with the other heroes but he often makes jokes for himself I'd think. Sometimes his jokes aren't always funny to the other heroes, but as long as they make the readers laugh then we're good.

But hey I'm easily pleased, I didn't mind Spider-Man just being there to make jokes in The Avengers.

This is an aspect of the character that’s pretty hit or miss depending on the writer and so on. The movies seemed to have consistently gotten it wrong. I felt the ASM movies had it down the best largely in part to Garfield just making it work so well. In the comics I start having an issue when he’s used simply for the sake of comic relief almost in a dead pool kind of way. That does such an injustice to the character. He almost at times gets treated like a court jester.

I'm conflicted on pop culture references. It's been a part of the character for a long time, but it does seem he wouldn't have the free time on his hands to keep up on this stuff. We're also now in a more nicheified world than in the 60s, so there's less material that most Americans would be expected to understand.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Self-deprecating when alone or with civilians, Bugs Bunny with his enemies.

it's evolved over time. 2019 is not what it was in 1962.

AngelGroveRadioPodcast powerpackers90's Avatar

I love the original Ultimate run's take on it being a defence mechanism for the real fear he has for his villains and dying.
    Angel Grove Radio
    The "ALL NEW" Spider-Man's Tangled Web-Show ON YOUTUBE!!!!

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerpackers90 View Post
    I love the original Ultimate run's take on it being a defence mechanism for the real fear he has for his villains and dying.
    Wasn't that how the original comics explained it as well?
    The spider is always on the hunt.