Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default SHAZAM! Postponed Indefinitely

https://www.newsarama.com/45377-shaz...eeks-each.html

There really is no excuse for this. Johns clearly is not focused on writing comic books.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If the delays are indeed due to Johns's already full plate, I feel bad for Dale Eaglesham. His work on Shazam was amazing (and no doubt time intensive). I hope he's getting some fill-in work from DC in the meantime.

...Well, hopefully Stargirl is worth it (since I think that's taking most of Johns' time at this point).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...Well, hopefully Stargirl is worth it (since I think that's taking most of Johns' time at this point).
    I mean...he's only writing one monthly and one event, both of which have been met with ridiculous delays. I really don't think it's comic books that's delaying him.

All-New Member FulciandChill1610!'s Avatar

Johns has worked at DC Comics for I wanna say almost 20 years if not more.

He has fixed, and refixed, and refixed, the ENTIRE DCU. His ideas for what the DCU SHOULD/COULD/WILL be; goes COMPLETELY against upper management.

AND we know people like Didio, and more are quite the bunch of jerks. Who should have been booted for bad idea after bad idea for years. I don't think you can blame this JUST on Johns, he's made deadlines before, he KNOWS how to write. Doomsday Clock was completely plotted, written, and MORE by like Issue 3.

It seems to me it's 100% an upper management problem. They don't like the changes Johns is doing, and are going to drag him through the mud and crap in the road, and then blame it on HIM. There's no way he's THIS bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FulciandChill1610! View Post

He has fixed, and refixed, and refixed, the ENTIRE DCU. His ideas for what the DCU SHOULD/COULD/WILL be; goes COMPLETELY against upper management.

AND we know people like Didio, and more are quite the bunch of jerks. Who should have been booted for bad idea after bad idea for years. I don't think you can blame this JUST on Johns, he's made deadlines before, he KNOWS how to write. Doomsday Clock was completely plotted, written, and MORE by like Issue 3.

It seems to me it's 100% an upper management problem. They don't like the changes Johns is doing, and are going to drag him through the mud and crap in the road, and then blame it on HIM. There's no way he's THIS bad.
    While I'm willing to believe that Doomsday Clock may be suffering from delays due to management, what possible reason would DC have to rewrite and redo Shazam, given that they incorporated nearly 100% of Johns' reboot in the film and this makes the entire company look bad?

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    While I'm willing to believe that Doomsday Clock may be suffering from delays due to management, what possible reason would DC have to rewrite and redo Shazam, given that they incorporated nearly 100% of Johns' reboot in the film and this makes the entire company look bad?
    There is absolutely no reason to do so, just as there's no reason for management to delay Doomsday Clock either. Why would Didio or anyone else in DC Editorial want to delay a book that's making them a lot of money?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    There is absolutely no reason to do so, just as there's no reason for management to delay Doomsday Clock either. Why would Didio or anyone else in DC Editorial want to delay a book that's making them a lot of money?
    Well, Doomsday Clock has repercussions for the DCU whole. So I imagine there is definite oversight over that book versus a book like Shazam, where it's pretty isolated from the other DC titles.

Having said that, I truly believe this is because Johns is distracted by other things outside of comic books. I mean it's not like he's writing 3 or 5 different monthly titles right now.

Quote Originally Posted by FulciandChill1610! View Post

And what evidence do you have to support this? Because not liking Dan Didio and the decisions he's made is not proof of anything.

This is what we actually know:

Geoff Johns is a producer/writer on several DC movies and TV shows, in addition to being the showrunner on Stargirl, which is itself a full-time job. On top of that, he's writing Shazam, The 3 Jokers, and the sequel to the most revered graphic novels that he really doesn't want to screw up.

Thinking objectively, what's more likely to you, that DC management is deliberately sabotaging a story they asked Johns to do or that Johns doesn't have enough time in the day to write all these comics and his Hollywood responsibilities?

Well, Doomsday Clock has repercussions for the DCU whole. So I imagine there is definite oversight over that book versus a book like Shazam, where it's pretty isolated from the other DC titles.
    Unless Johns was misrepresenting himself in interviews, it sounds like he was able to carve out a deal for himself on Doomsday Clock that gave him virtually complete control over all aspects of the story, free from editorial interference. Keep in mind that, when Didio first approached Johns about Rebirth, he was already such a big deal to Warner Bros that they would soon put him in charge of all of DC Films. He made it quite clear to DC that he would only do Doomsday Clock if he was able to do it exactly how he wanted it to be done, which is totally fair given that Johns would be the main guy taking the hit if he wrote yet another Watchmen spin-off that was a creative flop like Before Watchmen.

Having said that, I truly believe this is because Johns is distracted by other things outside of comic books. I mean it's not like he's writing 3 or 5 different monthly titles right now.
    And I don't begrudge Johns for this in the slightest. I can't imagine anyone managing to handle the crushing workload that Johns has taken on, but, one the other hand, I totally understand why he wants to do all these jobs.

BANNED

If Johns can't turn in work in a timely fashion, he shouldn't have taken on the responsibilities, and he should get out of them if he can.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    If Johns can't turn in work in a timely fashion, he shouldn't have taken on the responsibilities, and he should get out of them if he can.
    I suspect Johns will be scaling back the number of comics he's writing once Doomsday Clock is concluded. We'll probably get the occasional limited series from him, because he truly loves writing comics, but no more monthly comics from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I suspect Johns will be scaling back the number of comics he's writing once Doomsday Clock is concluded. We'll probably get the occasional limited series from him, because he truly loves writing comics, but no more monthly comics from him.
    I think at this point Johns should give up Shazam, and DC should just restart it with a new creative team.

I think at this point Johns should give up Shazam, and DC should just restart it with a new creative team.
    I agree. It sucks that Johns won’t be able to do all the comics writing he’s wanted to do, but he clearly can’t handle both. He needs to let Shazam go and just focus on live action, or delegate more control of the live actions shows to do Comics.

Astonishing Member

Reluctantly? Yeah. I've really liked his work on the title, but... There was no book for *years* because they were waiting for Johns to be free to write it, then when he finally does we're hit with long delays from issue 2, then it only got worse from there. And then, when the issues do come out, there's still fill-in art!

Normally I'm a "never mind the delays, they'll all be forgotten when the work is finished" kind of a guy. But this is just untenable.