Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A part of me thinks WB Corporate pushed Johns to continue the series so that they would have material for the next Shazam movie.
    You'd think they'd push him to finish his long awaited Aquaman story given that the movie based on his work made a billion plus while Shazam underperformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    You'd think they'd push him to finish his long awaited Aquaman story given that the movie based on his work made a billion plus while Shazam underperformed.
    I'm sure there will be those who cry foul at two of DC's biggest successes were very heavily inspired by Johns' work .

Although I figure the next Aquaman movie will probably draw from his Black Manta arc.

Mighty Member

I don't why my Shazam comics to read like a script for a movie, I want the comics and movie experience to feel different.

Incredible Member

Question to all the posters here on this thread: what are your thoughts on John's run on SHAZAM! thus far? While I like it, it seems to be missing some classic elements that had made the central protagonist endearing to me. Maybe it's because Billy no longer is the main character?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Question to all the posters here on this thread: what are your thoughts on John's run on SHAZAM! thus far? While I like it, it seems to be missing some classic elements that had made the central protagonist endearing to me. Maybe it's because Billy no longer is the main character?
    Unfortunately with the delays I kept feeling like I was waiting for the story to start. Part of it is needing to split things between six characters who at present are in three different places, plus setting up the subplot with Billy's dad in the "real world". If I'd actually been getting it in monthly bits we might be further along or I might be more invested, but as it stands I'm either bored or impatient with the whole book.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I really enjoyed the NEW 52 backup in Justice League. But from there it took what, 5 or 6 years before they finally got a monthly out? And the monthly has been ridiculously delayed to the point of irrelevance, even with the moderately successful film that just came out.

So I would say overall it's fine, but definitely not worth the 7 or so years it's taken them to release the limited material they have.

At this point, I think Johns will finish up issue 8 and be done. The first 8 issues will be collected in a single trade. The comic might get relaunched with a new writer after that picking up on the threads Johns introduced. The first in-continuity Captain Marvel comic in 20 years and this is what happens. Pretty disgraceful.

Fantastic Member

Is Johns okay health-wise?

Yes, it's television keeping him too busy. Stargirl.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I enjoyed this as far as it went, but am no longer interested due to the delays.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

Fantastic Member

Well' we could have a trade 'Seven Realms Vol 1' as we have these six issues. Maybe they should handover the concluding six to a different team?

Incredible Member

The sad thing about all this is that you'd think that DC would have put some effort in getting Johns some support, in light of the release of the movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yes, it's television keeping him too busy. Stargirl.
    Also, movies.