Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Using Previewsworld and ComicList, it looks like:
    * Issue #6 came out June 5th?
    * Issue #7, originally solicited for June 19th, is currently due out September 25th
    * Issue #8, originally solicited for July 17th, is currently due out November 27th (had last been October 9th?)
    * Issue #9, originally solicited for August 21st, is currently cancelled and needs to be resolicited at a future date
    * Issue #10, originally solicited for September 18th, is currently cancelled and needs to be resolicited at a future date
    * Issue #11, originally solicited for October 23rd, is currently cancelled and needs to be resolicited at a future date

Is that correct?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm willing to wait for quality.

A part of me thinks WB Corporate pushed Johns to continue the series so that they would have material for the next Shazam movie.

Here's a plausible theory of why Shazam! is late. Johns stated that the comic book and the movie would inform each other going forward, like how comic book Billy can no longer say his name without transforming since the movie came out. Henry Gayden is currently writing the Shazam sequel. The movie will be made on a similar small budget to the first one and the Seven Realms story is likely too expensive to shoot. They are likely changing course but since the Shazam 2 script has not yet been approved, no story has been settled on yet. This actually could take a while.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm willing to wait for quality.
    So there is absolutely no one else on Earth who can write a quality Shazam story? We're just going to have to wait until Johns decides at some point to pick back up again?

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    So there is absolutely no one else on Earth who can write a quality Shazam story? We're just going to have to wait until Johns decides at some point to pick back up again?
    Based on DC's current output, quite possibly.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm sure there are, but what's to say their stories can't be listed as limited series like Jeff Smith's while Johns continues the numbered book? For all we know he'll be back to full steam once Stargirl wraps and he can conclude his run. I'd rather than than Heinberg's Wonder Woman where it went bimonthly, they then gave the book to Jodi Picoult to damage immensely and Heinberg wrapped up in an annual. The current run has been strong when it drops and I'm willing to wait if it keeps up. I'd say that for most the second and third stringers at DC. If we got six issues of Green Arrow each year but they're great, that's cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'm sure there are, but what's to say their stories can't be listed as limited series like Jeff Smith's while Johns continues the numbered book? For all we know he'll be back to full steam once Stargirl wraps and he can conclude his run. I'd rather than than Heinberg's Wonder Woman where it went bimonthly, they then gave the book to Jodi Picoult to damage immensely and Heinberg wrapped up in an annual. The current run has been strong when it drops and I'm willing to wait if it keeps up. I'd say that for most the second and third stringers at DC. If we got six issues of Green Arrow each year but they're great, that's cool with me.
    And they probably want a direct continuation of Johns' Shazam story that they can base the next movie on. Sort of like adapting from a novel where you need the author to release the next book to adapt from.

Even though Johns is my favorite writer, this is where I think DC needs to cut Johns loose and stop holding Shazam hostage.

Will I wait a bit longer for quality? Sure.

Will I wait until long after my death for a next issue to come out? Naw.

In 8 (?) years since nu52 and the first origin story for Shazam we've gotten basically 2 arcs. The origin backup in JLA and the first complete arc in the Shazam series.
    That's a damn long wait between stories. Shazam deserves better than this. Johns clearly has other priorities and I say let another writer take over and then give it back to Johns if/when he has time to take on the title again someday.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    A part of me thinks WB Corporate pushed Johns to continue the series so that they would have material for the next Shazam movie.
    It's a little obnoxious how Geoff Johns has made sure all the DC movies are drawn from his interpretations of the characters.

It worked for Shazam, but I think the older "Venusian space worm" take on Mr. Mind is a lot more fun than Johns' "worm from the Magiclands" take, which is quite obviously going to be what they do with the character in the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    It's a little obnoxious how Geoff Johns has made sure all the DC movies are drawn from his interpretations of the characters.

It worked for Shazam, but I think the older "Venusian space worm" take on Mr. Mind is a lot more fun than Johns' "worm from the Magiclands" take, which is quite obviously going to be what they do with the character in the sequel.
    I loved that he was in the movie though. I couldn't get a proper Supreme Intelligence but I got a psychopathic worm who communicates with a radio .

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

The "indefinitely" part troubles me. "Indefinitely" so often evolves into "never."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I loved that he was in the movie though. I couldn't get a proper Supreme Intelligence but I got a psychopathic worm who communicates with a radio .
    Very true. I think I was the only one in the theater who was excited and not confused.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Very true. I think I was the only one in the theater who was excited and not confused.
    I got spoiled on Superman's appearance but luckily I didn't get spoiled he was in it.

Kind of lost it as soon as I saw him in the jar .

Incredible Member

I predict that SHAZAM! is going to get a reboot, while Geoff John's remaining issues will end up in a graphic novel.