Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fsger View Post
    Ok, by the same logic Bishop is nothing more than a psycho. It only takes one moment and one story to define a character

How is he bad?
    Because they broke up in a shitty way? That happens in real life all the time. There have been worst, more rushed and less sensical things like when she sletp with Bishop without build up and ignoring everything he did, that doesn' happen in real life
    Women sleep with men with no build up all the time. Ever heard of a one night stand?

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Never saw the last page. That is why I liked tyke a lot more than Scott

The thing is that on life it only take few seconds to ruin a entire life. Scott really did it for his relationship with Jean.

How Scott isn't bad? both in story or in a meta sense
    You have previously said that infidelity (even in the crazy small sense of Scott and Emma) is worse than assault, murder, rape and genocide. No one is going to be able to say anything on that, because that would be impossible. Unless it's Jean trying to get with Logan while married, in which case it's fine.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Uhhhhhhh, no. If Jean were to ever sleep with a woman it'd be Emma Frost, and that's a universal truth. Don't bother fighting it, your hate for Emma can't beat their heat.
    Terrible idea at this point. Once they realize Scott's focusing on work instead of crying himself to sleep over it, they'll try to reclaim their proprietary rights, which will in turn maaajorly set off the dudebros from Cyke's gay harem and lead to mucho awkwardness.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Women sleep with men with no build up all the time. Ever heard of a one night stand?
    And there is absolutely nothing wrong with one night stands but love requires way more than what was shown.
    and I pointed this because it was Scott and Jean/Scott what was being criticized, I pointed something that made less sense.
    Last edited by fsger; 09-03-2019 at 06:52 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I disagree with this. Morrison just pushed the idea more because previous writers shied away from socio-political messages because they were afraid of backlash. It's like saying "I was picked on in high school, that's exactly the same as the hardships that African-Americans or gays and lesbians have gone through".
    The broader, pre-Morrison metaphor was more inclusive.

LGBT and African-Americans don't have a monopoly on being abused, oppressed, persecuted, and threatened. Presuming that they do, as you have done here, denies the experiences of other people who've suffered. Check your privilege.

And there is absolutely nothing wrong with one night stands but love requires way more than what was shown.
    and I pointed this because it was Scott and Jean/Scott what was being criticized, I pointed something that made less sense.
    and everytime you complain about this, you always ignore the fact that they were brainwashed. Bishop and Jean arent in love. Everything about their relationship was fabricated and they were unknowing puppets.

Cyclops isn't oppressed but he isn't the symbol of white supremacy either as some try to make.
    He is an ally, all the X-men are, even freaking Emma Frost.

How are the X-Men allies......if they are mutants................who are oppressed? I’m begging someone ANYONE to help make this make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    How are the X-Men allies......if they are mutants................who are oppressed? I’m begging someone ANYONE to help make this make sense.
    Well, you see. According to these boards Scott's entire character is being a white male and nothing more and his status as a mutant doesn't count as minority or oppression.

that's at least what i read every time someone tries to say Scott or Emma or Jean count as a minority or oppressed. The answer is most of the time that they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    The broader, pre-Morrison metaphor was more inclusive.

LGBT and African-Americans don't have a monopoly on being abused, oppressed, persecuted, and threatened. Presuming that they do, as you have done here, denies the experiences of other people who've suffered. Check your privilege.
    Check yours first. Three-time suicide survivor, bullied most of my life, son of a lesbian and a bi-sexual woman. CHECK. YOURS. FIRST.

The X-Men have ALWAYS been a metaphor for the ongoing Civil Rights Movement. To pretend otherwise is to plainly ignore the facts.

The only one denying the experience of those who have suffered is you pretending that being a social outcast is the same as having your civil rights taken away. Of being attacked in the streets by police while crowds cheer for your blood. Or being hung from a tree because your girlfriend was white. Or being chained to a barbed wire fence and beaten to death because an ******* in a bar thought you were hitting on him.

Well, you see. According to these boards Scott's entire character is being a white male and nothing more and his status as a mutant doesn't count as minority or oppression.
    that's at least what i read every time someone tries to say Scott or Emma or Jean count as a minority or oppressed. The answer is most of the time that they don't.
    Seems to me that having people trying to take away your rights as well as murder you and your friends and family constantly counts as oppression.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

That's... completely wrong.

Mutants are the most oppressed minority in the 616 universe. That doesn't take away from the suffering of real minorities in our world, but to say they aren't oppressed when the government has tried to murder them for how they were born 1,000 times is just plain false.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Check yours first. Three-time suicide survivor, bullied most of my life, son of a lesbian and a bi-sexual woman. CHECK. YOURS. FIRST.
    Wow, I'm sorry if this sounds weird but it is always so easy to forget every user is a real life person.

I'm sorry for what you have suffered and I'm happy you're here today!

You have previously said that infidelity (even in the crazy small sense of Scott and Emma) is worse than assault, murder, rape and genocide. No one is going to be able to say anything on that, because that would be impossible. Unless it's Jean trying to get with Logan while married, in which case it's fine.
    crazy small sense? I really think that betray their loved ones is a really big mistake and completely turn me off. Of course infidelity isn't the biggest crime, but the way Scott commited it and followed it was pretty cruel
    I'm pretty sure Jean didn't tried to get Logan, It's pretty obvious that she wanted Scott and not Logan. If she wanted Logan, she would get him

I think this is what happens when you conflate criticism of what Cyclops represents to the brand of the X-Men in a meta-narrative sense and his actual role as the leader of an oppressed group that is a stand-in for black, LGBTQ+ community, disabled lives in-universe. No one is gonna call those able-bodied, heterosexual, cisgender white ppl “minorities” or “oppressed” in that sense because what it’s usually being compared to is something steeped in reality...like actual marginalized identities getting discriminated against.