Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    thanks for this.

If it is not apparent or doesn't matter, but I've read the FF and Marvel comics since the late '60s, so I'm there for nearly all of the INhumans appearances into the '80s. After that, I did trail off with their appearances and story line.
    But mostly know things from recaps, other sources.
    but it is canon their society has existed for thousands of years, unlike mutants, who as F D P points out, are now seeming to copy, repeat the same story beats.

We are talking fiction, comic book stories, but it should be more plausible that an ancient society has existed in this manner

then a group of however many coming together and saying "lets build a city/land/nation". The amount of infrastructure for coherent societies would take some time to build, no?

the idea of a society or group that wants to be "left alone" in these stories/fiction is

"conflict"/similar. A necessary part of plots.
    You're saying they should "self-deport" themselves from comic stories because of their

*premise* or conceit. And that just seems silly to me.
    I think Kirby set up the idea of spectacular beings becoming advanced to the point of not wanting to deal with conflict implicitly. Attilan, Wakanda, the Eternal's Olympia, and Atlantis exemplified this. The lines blur sometimes, but mutants were different in that they just appeared and we could see how they would end up growing in number to the point that they would follow in the footsteps of the Inhumans because that's exactly what they're doing. The only difference is that everyone knows they exist because they were striving not to isolate themselves and to live in harmony with humans. Also, humans are going to continue to produce more mutants, so it's not self contained like the other cities because humans couldn't produce them randomly.

The Inhumanity event expanded on this when they said that not everyone living in Attilan agreed with the politics of Attilan and decided to either mix with humans or create other hidden cities. I guess this will happen sooner or later with X-Men stories.

The best thing about the inhumans was that writers took a lot of chances with them and used their stories that made them less monotone. Like they went from isolationists, to realizing their Attilan project wasn't going to work because of dissenting opinions causing some to leave and other to attack.

The whole premise for them was "isolationists living in peace in their society" so all of their stories had to push back against them being isolationists (Paul Jenkins, Silent War, Inhumanity) and the fall of their society due to internal or external conflict (By Right of Birth, their other stories).

Since the X-Men are now "isolationists living in peace in their society" they're having stories like AXE which is pushing back on the concept of them being isolationists. Them terraforming Mars is akin to War of Kings.

This was brilliantly written and thought out, so thank you.

You bring up the best points, especially about the Isolationism views of this or mutants etc.

In a way, the original INhumans arc, was rather like what happened with Namor upon seeing Sue.

Although some saw Crystal/Johnny and that arc like Romeo/Juliet, it was also about

the meeting between 'us' and 'the other'. The idea that Namor and Sue's differences were what made them exotic to each other

likewise with this whole society of evolved, but hidden people.

Whereas mutants, revealed, are horrifying to their neighbors, family, etc. The Inhumans always knew they had to totally sequester themselves away, for the terror of the one, the occasional oddity

is far less dangerous than a literal world of people, possibly organized for any threats.
    For some reason I just thought of how Magneto saved Wanda and Pietro from angry villagers with pitchforks.
    But to any sense of the world, or public
    how much more terrifying is the revelation of such a secret society? That is their major thing really and they're not only protecting themselves, but they're protecting us too.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    This was brilliantly written and thought out, so thank you.

You bring up the best points, especially about the Isolationism views of this or mutants etc.

In a way, the original INhumans arc, was rather like what happened with Namor upon seeing Sue.

Although some saw Crystal/Johnny and that arc like Romeo/Juliet, it was also about the meeting between 'us' and 'the other'. The idea that Namor and Sue's differences were what made them exotic to each other likewise with this whole society of evolved, but hidden people.

Whereas mutants, revealed, are horrifying to their neighbors, family, etc. The Inhumans always knew they had to totally sequester themselves away, for the terror of the one, the occasional oddity is far less dangerous than a literal world of people, possibly organized for any threats.
    For some reason I just thought of how Magneto saved Wanda and Pietro from angry villagers with pitchforks.

But to any sense of the world, or public how much more terrifying is the revelation of such a secret society? That is their major thing really and they're not only protecting themselves, but they're protecting us too.
    Thank you! I like this interpretation of the Crystal/Johnny arc.

The inhumans exposed is like putting a fish in cold water. Historically, when Europeans "discovered" new kingdoms, even though they had a society with lots of merits, they were seen as inferior because they didn't have European values and appearances. The inhumans went against this whole notion because they were way more advanced than humans despite being a type of human, and they appreciated their odd physical traits. But writers still used them to show us how despite them being technologically advanced and hyper-evolved, they had shortcomings because they didn't have human history that advanced us, like the Enlightenment, the emancipation of slaves, and the movements of the 1960's. They were even made a monarchy because since Kirby was for the US, although he was fascinated by kingdoms, they were still used as a backwards way of thinking and we accompanied the inhumans as they learned to be civilized, like when they freed their the Alpha Primitives.

But then, like you said, the Inhumans always knew they had to totally sequester themselves away because they knew humans were still backwards in many ways. The inhumans cherished their diversity and saw their diversity as their birthright, whereas humans demonized it with the mutants. This was the worse change from The Inhumans tv show because it retconned their diversity.

I think a secret society that's so advanced that it's alien to humans shouldn't have been frightening since it shows how much we could be capable of, and humans could advance too. In the real world, if "explorers" found something useful, they'd take it and kill off the people who made it. The inhumans didn't allow themselves to be killed despite them trying in Paul Jenkins and other inhuman stories. They were created as slaves, but breaking away from their slavery they were capable of better things than the Kree which culminated in War of Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix;
    I think it's obvious that mutants have dropped what they were always intended to be written as and have become a mix of inhuman and eternal in many aspects.
    Your sreeeeeeetching powers rival that of Ms Marvel. Xmen stories had MANY different Mutants linking up to live away from humans...Krakoa is just a bigger version of that. If you're claiming that then Inhumans ripped off themyscira
    It's hypocrite for people to criticize the inhumans for changing and having a few elements shared with X-Men, and not to criticize the X-Men when they live in an isolated city, hatch from pods, and even move to the moon, to name a few.
    Isnt that what you're doing tho? Krakoa isn't isolated, the are a known part of the 616, Anyone can go there, they only get resurrected from the eggs after they die, it could happen at any age, and they've retained the same appearance as when they went in, the Xmen haven't moved to the moon? But they did go there before the inhumans
    If they thought the inhumans weren't allowed to have a new story arc with a new status quo, why are they giving another IP a free pass, especially when it's blatantly copying from another. The Inhumans still had secret societies and kingdoms. You can't even recognize the X-Men after Hickman.
    Bruh the one thing about inhumans was that they were a closed society Then a few years ago it was suddenly discovered Noooo 'they live among us' 'Anyone could be/turn into one' what other marvel franchise is like that??? Oh and now they're going around collecting newly formed inhumans from different parts of the world to teach and train them on their powers to save the day from some bad inhumans lol

Since the X-Men are now "isolationists living in peace in their society" they're having stories like AXE which is pushing back on the concept of them being isolationists. Them terraforming Mars is akin to War of Kings.
    Again hoow are they isolationist when they regularly go out to save the world and make it no secret where they're from????
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Your sreeeeeeetching powers rival that of Ms Marvel. Xmen stories had MANY different Mutants linking up to live away from humans...Krakoa is just a bigger version of that. If you're claiming that then Inhumans ripped off themyscira

Isnt that what you're doing tho? Krakoa isn't isolated, the are a known part of the 616, Anyone can go there, they only get resurrected from the eggs after they die, it could happen at any age, and they've retained the same appearance as when they went in, the Xmen haven't moved to the moon? But they did go there before the inhumans

Bruh the one thing about inhumans was that they were a closed society Then a few years ago it was suddenly discovered Noooo 'they live among us' 'Anyone could be/turn into one' what other marvel franchise is like that??? Oh and now they're going around collecting newly formed inhumans from different parts of the world to teach and train them on their powers to save the day from some bad inhumans lol

Again hoow are they isolationist when they regularly go out to save the world and make it no secret where they're from????
    Read the other stuff I wrote and get something from that.

Astonishing Member

Well for the first point Attilan first mention was in 1940 (Captain America #1), while Themyscira was in 1941 (Called Paradise Island at the time).

Not anyone can go there, its like only Mutants or no human is allowed. Though either some exceptions were made, or all Mutants get a +1. Also the Summer's family had (Vulcan blew it up) a home there.

There were stories of Inhumans leaving Attilan beforehand it just really blew up during Infinity/Inhumanity.

Sounds like mutants may be a slo-mo thing

more like an unraveling mystery. As various characters discover they are or know mutants it becomes part of a sub plot or arc that takes on more meaning through the developing round of movies/TV.

I favor this idea because gives the general audience more background, in context to the MCU so far.

Something expository can recap:

Wanda and Pietro - most likely Mutants (especially Wanda)

Ms. Marvel - mutant

Namor - mutant
    not sure if I left anyone out, Prof X was not MCU's "verse", but it is a good indicator.

And Xavier appearing with Black Bolt rather equalizes the domination that Mutants/X gene have in comics, over Inhuman/Eternal, etc. So going forward "Mutants" will eventually show us who was already there, in a way.
    Professor X and his cohorts (Moira, others) may/will be introduced as scientists studying the "mutant problem" but already knowing their own status.
    At the same time, Fantastic Four and it's possible spin-offs are seeded through other projects.
    At first I thought it likely that the FF would be "discovered" in the Quantum realm, lost their in a time loop since 1961, but maybe they will be seeded through other movies or shows.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon;
    Sounds like mutants may be a slo-mo thing

more like an unraveling mystery. As various characters discover they are or know mutants it becomes part of a sub plot or arc that takes on more meaning through the developing round of movies/TV.

I favor this idea because gives the general audience more background, in context to the MCU so far.

Something expository can recap:

Wanda and Pietro - most likely Mutants (especially Wanda)

Ms. Marvel - mutant

Namor - mutant
    not sure if I left anyone out, Prof X was not MCU's "verse", but it is a good indicator.

And Xavier appearing with Black Bolt rather equalizes the domination that Mutants/X gene have in comics, over Inhuman/Eternal, etc. So going forward "Mutants" will eventually show us who was already there, in a way.
    Professor X and his cohorts (Moira, others) may/will be introduced as scientists studying the "mutant problem" but already knowing their own status.
    At the same time, Fantastic Four and it's possible spin-offs are seeded through other projects.

At first I thought it likely that the FF would be "discovered" in the Quantum realm, lost their in a time loop since 1961
    , but maybe they will be seeded through other movies or shows.

Dang I like this idea and rn it seems its the most concise and makes the most sense....rn

Double Dang! I REALLY like this one, now I hope they go this route
    GrindrStone(D)

Well, I wouldn't be the first one who suggested or thought of this.
    ~ Oberon ~

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Well, the Deviants of Earth are the same core species as Inhumans and Humans. It's just a different form of Celestial tinkering.Hmm the real question here: what was the goal of Celestial tinkering with Human DNA?
    I always wondered that. Why *would* the Celestials create these Eternals, and give humanity the potential for superhuman mutation? Did they want the universe to have tons of mutants running around for inexplicable reasons? Or did all that power gathering on the seeded planets serve a purpose?

My fanwank, drawing from the word 'seeding' used back in the day, before the Eternals movie, was that all of human mutation served a point, that eventually they would reach a tipping point where there were enough mutants, enough raw power and potential, for a new Celestial to be born, with the Eternals involuntarily forming a Uni-Mind and becoming the seed of it's nascent consciousness. (All of them, Eternals, mutants and humans alike, being snuffed out as the new Celestial was born.) Cassandra Nova, bizarrely, saved the world from imminent death, by killing sixteen million mutants in Genosha, since the world was close to the tipping point. Even now, with all these Omega mutants, they collectively aren't quite up to the power necessary to birth a single Celestial. And the rest of (non-mutant) humanity, and races like the Deviants? Collateral damage? Or will they survive the snuffing out of all the mutants and Eternals to form the new Celestial, and the whole process possibly start all over, with some really old planets perhaps having even birthed *multiple* Celestials over countless millenia?

Then the Eternals movie kind of stole my thunder. In my vision, Earth itself wasn't an egg, and the Celestial was empowered / birthed by the life-forces (and mutant energies) of all the Eternals and mutants on the planet, so they would have all been absorbed and consumed when it first stirred to life...

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Eternals cant have kids tho...or its eXXtremly difficult
    Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    The latter. Thena has had 3 hybrid children, 2 with Kor and 1 with a minor human.
    Ikaris also had a son, Icarus, with a human.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I always wondered that. Why *would* the Celestials create these Eternals, and give humanity the potential for superhuman mutation? Did they want the universe to have tons of mutants running around for inexplicable reasons? Or did all that power gathering on the seeded planets serve a purpose?

My fanwank, drawing from the word 'seeding' used back in the day, before the Eternals movie, was that all of human mutation served a point, that eventually they would reach a tipping point where there were enough mutants, enough raw power and potential, for a new Celestial to be born, with the Eternals involuntarily forming a Uni-Mind and becoming the seed of it's nascent consciousness. (All of them, Eternals, mutants and humans alike, being snuffed out as the new Celestial was born.) Cassandra Nova, bizarrely, saved the world from imminent death, by killing sixteen million mutants in Genosha, since the world was close to the tipping point. Even now, with all these Omega mutants, they collectively aren't quite up to the power necessary to birth a single Celestial. And the rest of (non-mutant) humanity, and races like the Deviants? Collateral damage? Or will they survive the snuffing out of all the mutants and Eternals to form the new Celestial, and the whole process possibly start all over, with some really old planets perhaps having even birthed *multiple* Celestials over countless millenia?

Then the Eternals movie kind of stole my thunder. In my vision, Earth itself wasn't an egg, and the Celestial was empowered / birthed by the life-forces (and mutant energies) of all the Eternals and mutants on the planet, so they would have all been absorbed and consumed when it first stirred to life...
    Yeah, don't know the how really. but we do know the Celestials seem to be trying to reproduce.. and... as space gods that's kinda hard.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Ikaris also had a son, Icarus, with a human.
    Uh-huh, and that's what inspired him to take up the name Ikaris . . . if I recall right.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    The Eternals have also interbred with both humans and Deviants so a lot of mutates and mutants will have DNA from both races.
    Really? I only know of Icarus... I don't recall seeing and or reading of other Eternals (or Deviants) mating with Humans. Can provide us with any of the names of said mutates and mutants?
    Last edited by Micabe; 08-02-2022 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Though ammendment(s).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Really? I only know of Icarus... I don't recall seeing and or reading of other Eternals (or Deviants) mating with Humans. Can provide us with any of the names of said mutates and mutants?
    Vampiro was a half-Eternal that operated as a masked wrestler (and pretended to be a vampire heel) in Mexico, IIRC.

And Maelstrom was half-Deviant (and half-Inhuman, so that was an interesting couple, I'd imagine).

Those are the only two half-Eternal or half-Deviant folk I know of right off the top of my head.