Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Wonder Woman by William Messner-Loebs Book One out in May 2020

Product description:

“Wonder Woman by William Messner-Loebs Book One showcases the most memorable moments of William Messner-Loebs work on Wonder Woman and features classic tales that have shaped the Amazon Warrior we know today. Collects Wonder Woman Special #1 (1992), Wonder Woman #63, #64, #67, Wonder Woman Annual #3 (1992) and Wonder Woman #68-75 (1992).”

Amazon release date is May 26, 2020.

$39.99
    Paperback

I hope he gets some money

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Oh, wasn’t this the WW writer who was homeless or something at one point? He was also credited in the movie. I’m not familiar with his run, may have to check this out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    Oh, wasn’t this the WW writer who was homeless or something at one point? He was also credited in the movie. I’m not familiar with his run, may have to check this out.
    He was, and I think may still be; I think he & his wife are still living out of their car.

The Messner-Loebs' run is one of my favorites. In terms of art, it struggled - after Jill Thompson, Lee Moder took over, and for many his style was too cartoony, although I thought it synched well with the stories. Moder only lasted a short time, though. Then Paris Cullens came on for six months, and while a fine artist, many objected to how muscular he made Diana and how heavily-lined the art was. Then came a slew of artists, each of whom drew one issue and were "auditioning" for the job. While this is how Deodato got hired, many of this artists weren't great, and one (Massengil, I think) produced some of the least attractive art I've ever seen in a WW comic. And then, sales went up with Deodato, who is undeniably talented, but his Diana's waist kept getting smaller, as did her clothing, and it was a cheesecake, 90's-Image style that really didn't synch with Loebs' writing.

In sum, the early Loebs' run is plagued with inconsistent and occasionally unappealing art, and the second half has consistent art but the disconnect between the writer and the artist is obvious. But I love his run in that his Diana makes friends of enemies over time, she usually sees the value in all people, and she uses her powers to connect to others, not tear through them like a battering ram. She's funny, and she works through dilemmas largely ignored in super-hero comics. Several times, Loebs' also approaches Diana's interaction with the mythological with a sense of mystery and danger in which everything comes at a cost, and the slow-burn Ares Buchanan/Donna Milton story pays off really well.

And the Brian Bolland covers are AMAZING. *That* was consistent all the way through.

Plenty of people will tell you why they dislike this period. It just happens to be a run that is dear to my heart, and I'm glad more than just the Deodato period is getting the trade paperback treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    I have only read the trade paperback devoted to the Deodato drawn issues. Exciting stories. Based on that I would encourage you to check this out. I need to get it myself.

Incredible Member

I just couldn't wrap my head around the issue number 0 retcon of Diana's origin. Why make Hippolyta out to be a liar? Why suggest that she willingly slept with Heracles and that the Amazons all hooked up with his men and that it was Antiope who was smart..? It was a twist for the sake of a twist, and the Deodato S&M art only made it all worse.

I'm just glad most of the writers since completely disregarded it.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I just couldn't wrap my head around the issue number 0 retcon of Diana's origin. Why make Hippolyta out to be a liar? Why suggest that she willingly slept with Heracles and that the Amazons all hooked up with his men and that it was Antiope who was smart..? It was a twist for the sake of a twist, and the Deodato S&M art only made it all worse.

I'm just glad most of the writers since completely disregarded it.
    Maybe I need to refresh my drink on these issues because that wasn’t my takeaway on the origin.

But I do co-sign with you on the artwork. The T&A was a turn off, however I still appreciated the dynamism of Deodato’s work.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Product description:

“Wonder Woman by William Messner-Loebs Book One showcases the most memorable moments of William Messner-Loebs work on Wonder Woman and features classic tales that have shaped the Amazon Warrior we know today. Collects Wonder Woman Special #1 (1992), Wonder Woman #63, #64, #67, Wonder Woman Annual #3 (1992) and Wonder Woman #68-75 (1992).”

Amazon release date is May 26, 2020.

$39.99
    Paperback
    I will buy this immediately to support WML. He had an incomparable knack for capturing the human element in his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I will buy this immediately to support WML. He had an incomparable knack for capturing the human element in his stories.
    True. Anyone else remember Camille Sly Diana's landlady who was a former classic movie swashbuckler? Or Hoppy the lady who showed Diana the ropes at Taco Wiz? Or Juliana Sazia the mafia widow who rose to mob boss? He had a really good run that was just what Wonder Woman needed at the time. It grounded her and made her more relatable.

Incredible Member

I wonder how much more palatable the run would be if someone were to redraw the entire thing. If it had been illustrated by someone else maybe it would have more long-term appeal?

...and I side-eye the name Hoppy big time. I like the absurdity of the concept of Diana working in a fast food place, and I have no objection to an older African-American woman being her mentor and friend....but why "Hoppy"?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 09-08-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I wonder how much more palatable the run would be if someone were to redraw the entire thing. If it had been illustrated by someone else maybe it would have more long-term appeal?

...and I side-eye the name Hoppy big time. I like the absurdity of the concept of Diana working in a fast food place, and I have no objection to an older African-American woman being her mentor and friend....but why "Hoppy"?
    You know, if you question so many things about it (Deodato's art, Artemis, Taco Wiz, even the names of characters) maybe this run isn't for you? That's perfectly fine, everything isn't for everybody.

The Journey to the Stars storyline (Wonder Woman Vol 2. #66-71) is genuinely one of the best stories in the Post-Crisis era (1987-2011). It feels very much like a modern Marston tale and I like it so much that I've been searching for the individual issues in comic book shops.

The Tom Bolland covers are fantastic too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut