Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    Back to the run, White Magician - verdict?
    For me, the White Magician was not a very inspired creation or villain. I don't think he was a good or necessary addition to her mythos.

There are some magic users from WW's historic rogues gallery that could have filled that role. Considering that Asquith Randolph was supposed to have been operating since the 40s, why not take a WW Golden Age enemy and use him/her?

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    For me, the White Magician was not a very inspired creation or villain. I don't think he was a good or necessary addition to her mythos.

There are some magic users from WW's historic rogues gallery that could have filled that role. Considering that was supposed to have been operating since the 40s, why not take a WW Golden Age enemy and use him/her?
    Because Asquith Randolph was a wolf in sheep's clothing with an interesting backstory as a hero. He followed satan's rule from The Devil's Advocate, "don't ever let them see you coming"

Incredible Member

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Orana?

In flipping through various issues, I definitely didn't like the white magician. As you said he didn't seem like a necessary addition. I think you have to have a certain combination of elements to work as a Wonder Woman villain. He just felt like some random magical bad guy, but again I never really read the story. And I definitely hated the giant steroid muscle demon he turned into for several issues at the end of the story.

Did anybody who was reading the issues when they first came out suspect Donna Milton was Circe?

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Orana?
    Orana is a Bronze Age character created by Jack C. Harris in 1978. She appeared in WW vol. 1 #250 and 251. A red-haired Amazon who challenged Diana for the title of Wonder Woman. Oh, how eleven year-old me loved that story!

77956F2F-5DF0-4AFC-A7F7-9B3200C6987E.jpg

It really was a good story! Orana was Messner-Loeb's inspiration for Artemis, the story beats were the same. An angry redhead takes over the title of Wonder Woman because of Queen Hippolyta's machinations and dies because of it. Arguable Orana was also the inspiration for Aleka in Azzarello's run too, all 3 had the same coloring and personalities. Artemis however lasted longest, has the most depth and has become a member of the Wonder Woman family along with Donna, Nubia and Cassie.

9f476fd54253068d7d605d36489bf88d.jpg
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 09-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Product description:

“Wonder Woman by William Messner-Loebs Book One showcases the most memorable moments of William Messner-Loebs work on Wonder Woman and features classic tales that have shaped the Amazon Warrior we know today. Collects Wonder Woman Special #1 (1992), Wonder Woman #63, #64, #67, Wonder Woman Annual #3 (1992) and Wonder Woman #68-75 (1992).”

Amazon release date is May 26, 2020.

$39.99
    Paperback
    I will buy this immediately to support WML. He had an incomparable knack for capturing the human element in his stories.

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post

There are some magic users from WW's historic rogues gallery that could have filled that role. Considering that Asquith Randolph was supposed to have been operating since the 40s, why not take a WW Golden Age enemy and use him/her?
    I await a WW scribe retconn8ng that very thing into the character's history.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I will buy this immediately to support WML. He had an incomparable knack for capturing the human element in his stories.
    True. Anyone else remember Camille Sly Diana's landlady who was a former classic movie swashbuckler? Or Hoppy the lady who showed Diana the ropes at Taco Wiz? Or Juliana Sazia the mafia widow who rose to mob boss? He had a really good run that was just what Wonder Woman needed at the time. It grounded her and made her more relatable.

Incredible Member

I wonder how much more palatable the run would be if someone were to redraw the entire thing. If it had been illustrated by someone else maybe it would have more long-term appeal?

...and I side-eye the name Hoppy big time. I like the absurdity of the concept of Diana working in a fast food place, and I have no objection to an older African-American woman being her mentor and friend....but why "Hoppy"?
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 09-08-2019 at 09:43 AM.

I wonder how much more palatable the run would be if someone were to redraw the entire thing. If it had been illustrated by someone else maybe it would have more long-term appeal?

...and I side-eye the name Hoppy big time. I like the absurdity of the concept of Diana working in a fast food place, and I have no objection to an older African-American woman being her mentor and friend....but why "Hoppy"?
    You know, if you question so many things about it (Deodato's art, Artemis, Taco Wiz, even the names of characters) maybe this run isn't for you? That's perfectly fine, everything isn't for everybody.

The Journey to the Stars storyline (Wonder Woman Vol 2. #66-71) is genuinely one of the best stories in the Post-Crisis era (1987-2011). It feels very much like a modern Marston tale and I like it so much that I've been searching for the individual issues in comic book shops.

The Tom Bolland covers are fantastic too.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut