Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bruce Wayne to hand the cowl to a black man?

Bleeding Cool are saying that next year, Batman will have a new guy under the cowl, and he's black.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-black-batman/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So far, the only black man who seems poised to perhaps be able to take the mantle in King's run is the Gentle Man (and even that is quite far-fetched). Nonetheless, here is my position on it.

The Gentle Man certainly has the ability to fight to be a good replacement for Batman on the physical side, but as he demonstrated any ability to seek out clues and motives ? After all, he fights endlessly against a horde of monster more than he seeks the guilty.

He had the mental fortitude, however, that's for sure.

Now, if the change is not related to King's story, I guess it would be possible for others, such as Luke, Duke or even an original character to come and get the cowl for a time. But the article at least seems to hint at a correlation between this "new" Batman and King's run. Which is just as surprising to me as the first time I heard this theory, because I don't see any hint of such a direction in the current story as released. And In the six or five issues left to deal with Bane (not counting the interlude issues with Batman and Catwoman here, but I guess I could be wrong), it seems to be an awfully short span to set up such a change.

Astonishing Member

Bruce Wayne is going through Batman replacements. Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne by Grant Morrison. Scott Snyder also used Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon.

I'm completely indifferent. Gimmicks like this I've grown to be completely numb to now.

I'd rather see DC put a black main writer on Batman more than just a black guy replace Bruce as Batman for a bit.

Doesn't really make much difference for me if Batman is Black or White. I liked the Gentleman he was cool, I'd defo be up for seeing him be Batman for a wee bit

Extraordinary Member

I think it to early for another replacement Batman we had in recent years already Dick and James Gordon as Batman.

The only Black Character I think would make sense is Mr. Terrific, he would be the only one with the experience and the skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm completely indifferent. Gimmicks like this I've grown to be completely numb to now.

I'd rather see DC put a black main writer on Batman more than just a black guy replace Bruce as Batman for a bit.
    I'm kinda of this mind, I'd be significantly more excited or interested for something like Christopher Priest on Batman than seeing a black guy be Batman for a second. granted, it's cool I guess, in a novel sense, to see a legit Black Batman but it's so clearly gonna be a quick thing that I can't see why this would be report worthy. I won't go so far as to say it's necessarily a gimmick yet tho, I'd have to see the story first, I feel this report (if you can really call it that) kinda undercuts the idea significantly more than it should. I feel my reaction to this idea would've been still ambivalent but generally positive if I just saw it. this kind of vague reporting on such a non-story just kinda spoils it and gives it a weird connotation.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bleeding Cool are saying that next year, Batman will have a new guy under the cowl, and he's black.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-black-batman/
    I am a black man and this makes me feel nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I am a black man and this makes me feel nothing
    Because it isn't a genuine attempt at diversity but a gimmick. I mean Society's response to a Black Batman rather than an attempt at developing a long term visible and prominent Black family member from the company that sabotaged Duke by giving his mini just 3 issues.

Like Badou said a black writer a long run on the title or seriously back and push a black character no these half arsed shallow efforts

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Because it isn't a genuine attempt at diversity but a gimmick. I mean Society's response to a Black Batman rather than an attempt at developing a long term visible and prominent Black family member from the company that sabotaged Duke by giving his mini just 3 issues.

Like Badou said a black writer a long run on the title or seriously back and push a black character no these half arsed shallow efforts
    “Genuine attempts at diversity” still won’t result in anything good. That just puts the color before the character. It also shouldn’t matter what skin color the person writing characters is. Like I want Bryan Edward Hill on Batman not because he’s black but because he’s a really good writer.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Could be a tale from the Dark Multiverse for all we know at this point. But I'm kind of sick of Batman replacements at this point.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

BANNED

Please not Duke.

Y A W N.

6-12 months of this guy and then Bruce is back, and we'll have some bullshit reason why it wasn't Dick Grayson who stepped up. The real tragedy here is we might have to suffer 6-12 months of Bruce jerking around with Selina.

Thankfully it's not Duke Thomas, he's boring as hell. Hopefully it's not Luke Fox either, he's just as boring if not more, good Lord.

Still hoping it's Reggie Long, the new Rorschach...they'd have my interest. If it's The Gentle Man, it'd be okay, but still pretty damn boring.

If it's someone brand new, that's just as bad as Luke or Duke, 'cause then in 6-12 months we'll have another nobody character in the Batman mythos overcrowding Gotham and the Batman books; God help us.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-03-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Ultimate Member

Color before character? Really?

Can I get a list of the books that do that?
    So I can see for myself?

Yes this is nothing more than a cheap stunt. Because its the only way to get a Luke book out there since some take issue with him existing. He is Batman and that means automatic shelf space in stories and bins like Batman.

Its Bronze Tiger's time to shine
    Make it happen DC he's the closest person to Bruce who actually trained with him when he was learning to be Batman